BIOS

Considering how important it is to get all the correct drivers installed before heading into app installs, I would call it a great idea.

It would mean adding all of the chipset drivers for all of the systems to the initial build, but it would certainly make things much easier in the long run for those of us with relatively large networks using different chipsets.

I'd be interested in whether it could be taken further by adding something to detect which video card, sound card, etc. was in a system so that the correct drivers could be added for them as well. Maybe even provide a single switch to enable/disable each driver subsection during the build?

WMI can't read the chipset info. I did add checks for: BIOS, MoBo, System, Video, Audio, LAN, Modem, Enclosure.

Now, these work fine from desktop. I have yet to do a full test from a fresh install. That's where you guys come in. :D I Use nLite to incorporate mine. Will be a different story for IT guys.

I am afraid the details will be blank/wrong since the drivers are not installed yet. If the info I am using is hardcoded into the device, then no problem. Fingers crossed.

I am afraid the details will be blank/wrong since the drivers are not installed yet.

Won't work. WMI relies on the already installed drivers to enumerate installed stuff. It can't magically guess what hardware is solely based on vendor and device IDs or such.

WMI relies on the already installed drivers to enumerate installed stuff. It can't magically guess what hardware is solely based on vendor and device IDs or such.

Good point. It also emphasizes one of the worst problems WPI faces in that the full compliment of drivers should always be installed prior to any apps and there's no way I can see to accomplish that before WPI runs and does its thing. I always download the latest drivers from the various hardware maker's sites prior to doing a wipe/reinstall, but it would be ideal is WPI could somehow handle getting them installed before rebooting the system and then launching into the app install stage.

The only thing I can think of doing would be to run WPI on a ready system, look at the new Hardware tab to get your info, then build your Conditions around that.

getSysManufacturer()=="IBM" && getSysModel()=="XYZ" then use this driver

-OR-

I can get the devices' PnP Device ID and you can base it on that:

getPNPDeviceID()=="PCI\VEN_asdhg43273746ghghe" then use this driver

That is always there, how the device is found in the first place.

The only thing I can think of doing would be to run WPI on a ready system, look at the new Hardware tab to get your info, then build your Conditions around that.

getSysManufacturer()=="IBM" && getSysModel()=="XYZ" then use this driver

-OR-

I can get the devices' PnP Device ID and you can base it on that:

getPNPDeviceID()=="PCI\VEN_asdhg43273746ghghe" then use this driver

That is always there, how the device is found in the first place.

Mark,

Is there a way to add a Copy function or ability to the tabs within the Information panel?

I'm playing with the second build you asked me to download and check, but there's no way to Copy the info to show you what I see here in the Hardware or other areas.

OK, pressing Alt+G opens the Information window. There is a new Hardware tab. In there it shows you the name of the installed devices (video, audio, network....) and the PnP Device ID.

On the the Conditions tab it shows you how to use the functions. It now shows your hardware information instead of examples based on my computer.

In Config Wizard, Dependencies tab (new!!), in the NEW Functions menus you pick a hardware function (getVideoControllerID()), and if checked the NEW "Install PnP Device ID" checkbox, it will fill in the ID for you. It is a long string, so this is very handy.

If you have multiple computers/types/hardware, you will have to make an entry for each one, run WPI on each computer to fill in the IDs, to build a complete drivers conditions package. Not hard, just several of the same steps.