Windows Mail vs Thunderbird

Woomera

i know there is a poll in poll center for email clients but most reliable and featured clients seems to be thunderbird and windows mail.

im trying to choose one as my default email client and need help,and i have few email address's which need to fetch from them all.

a list of pro's and con's between these 2 would be great.

thanks

Windows Mail is the successor to Outlook Express included with Windows Vista, and it is only available on Windows Vista. Microsoft seems to be moving towards 'Windows Live Mail' as its successor too.

Mozilla Thunderbird is an free, opensource, multiplatform email client; you can install it on anything it has been compiled for such as Windows, Linux, and Mac. It is extensible, meaning you can download addons to add new features and themes that can alter the appearance subtly or completely. You can also get a 'portable' version of Thunderbird that you can travel with you on a thumb drive for example.

I would highly recommend Thunderbird. I cannot see any reason to use Windows Mail or Outlook Express instead.

I use Thunderbird as well. One con is that if used to connect to an account on Exchange, while you can still get mail, the following does not work:

1. No calendar and any meeting requests or confirmations sent do not prompt for addition.

2. Priority flags coming in from non Thunderbird clients do not appear and flags going out do not appear in Outlook or MSIMN.

3. You cannot access the online address book, so you have to create your own.

There may be work-arounds for the cons I listed but I haven't come across any. I am one of 2 people who use Thunderbird instead of Outlook on our Exchange server.

Pros:

1. Thunderbird is better at giving you errors for Exchange. Example, my email stopped working and I reported it. Of course the admin first said "well use Outlook and you won't have this problem" but it was good because there was actually an underlying problem on the Exchange Server that wouldn't have been found if Thunderbird hadn't stopped working. Also, the problem was severe enough that if the server had been rebooted, email would not have worked at all!