Please help - easiest way to reinstall OS?

Jpok

When I installed my vLited Vista in February I removed all the wireless stuff because there was a 99% chance that I'd never need a WAN connection at this computer. Recently I've learned that I might need to setup a wifi server from this computer in the near future, so unfortunately I'll probably have to reinstall Vista in order to restore the missing components. I removed big things like "WAN support", "File and Printer Sharing", "Computer Browser", etc.

Can anybody give me some advice on what's the best and easiest way to reinstall Vista while keep the same settings a programs? It took me a long time to set up this computer the way it is, and others use it as well, so I'd like to find some kind of shortcut besides starting completely from scratch.

Thanks a ton,

Jpok

As for settings, just make an export of your registry. As for keeping all your stuff, just do an install/repair with your original -non nLited - Vista disk over your current installation.

Thanks for the reply. You mean that I can just put the "good" Vista DVD into my drive (I say "good" because it'll still be vLited, but it will now contain the needed componts), and then there'll be an option for repairing the OS? And if I choose repair, I'll keep all of my old programs and settings, just the missing files will be installed?

Please verify this, because it sounds like a great help if it works! (I'll save many hours).

Thanks

As for settings, just make an export of your registry. As for keeping all your stuff, just do an install/repair with your original -non nLited - Vista disk over your current installation.

Thanks for the reply. You mean that I can just put the "good" Vista DVD into my drive (I say "good" because it'll still be vLited, but it will now contain the needed componts), and then there'll be an option for repairing the OS? And if I choose repair, I'll keep all of my old programs and settings, just the missing files will be installed?

Please verify this, because it sounds like a great help if it works! (I'll save many hours).

Thanks

Hi,

Yes a "Repair Install " should work fine with a new vlited version, and should keep your files and settings.

Do not select the Repair Option to do this, you use the Upgrade option and skip inserting the Product key -

There is a step by step tutorial here :

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html

Hope this helps

SIW2 :thumbup

Edited by SIW2