Locking Ancient Threads

jcarle

I'd like to put for discussion the possibility of locking ancient threads. There's some people that just don't get it... I've been seeing way too many members going around the forums and replying with often pointless comments and resurrecting threads that have been dead for years and years. Case and point, for example, http://www.msfn.org/board/My-Actual-Letter...ert-t12137.html . I had previously discussed with some smods about their views about straight our removing threads past a certain amount of years but the general consensus was that MSFN contains a lot of valuable informations, even if sometimes the information dates of quite a ways back. The possibility of simply locking threads that are over, say, 2 years old has not yet been put up for discussion (as far as I'm aware).

What are your thoughts on that?

Edited by jcarle

Perhaps closing every thread with the last reply being over a year old? Or making it impossible for users that haven't been members for at least a year (or with a post count under 100?) to reply to threads more than a year old?

The amount of seriously old topics being bumped up lately is getting quite annoying for sure.

I would think setting the topics to close after 2 years would be sufficient.

Disabling the "Similar Topics" might help as well. As I make this post you should see the posts it recommends.

See:

And yes, I added more into my post before submitting. ;)

Agreed; if there's been no response within two years (less maybe?), it's probably a pointless thread. I've fallen into a "trap" of responding to another's post in a thread looong dead (rather embarassing). If there's been a number of reponses rather recent, then it more than likely still warrants activity. Fortunately, quite a few have caught unwarranted activity and made the point within.

Go for it.

(Who the heck searches down old posts anyway? A result of the "related" feature?)

Aaarrggg! "Similar Topics" even in this yields nearly 2-yr-old threads; did anyone notice?

Edited by submix8c

Aaarrggg! "Similar Topics" even in this yields nearly 2-yr-old threads; did anyone notice?

Did you see the image I attached? ;)

I'll bump this with the Staff and see if we can get this approved. :)

• 1 month later...

There's still like a dozen posts from 2004 or before being bumped up everyday (even some from 2002 today). Can't we just lock everything from before, say, 2005? I don't think anything that hasn't had a single answer in 3+ years is really of much interest anymore...