Win XP Drive

callbobby69

Hi . My Mitsumi USB FDD 061M ..USB Device . Which is a new external 3.5 Floppy Drive , will not install . The driver is supposed to be in my Windows XP edition , which is an upgrade from Win 98 . It's windows xp home edition version 2002 Upgrade . I have tried hot unplugging and plug back in...it say's " USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED " The trouble shooter say's to try reconnecting the device .......... :realmad:

I have tried restart with it plugged in and with it not plugged in , it makes no difference . The mitsumi site has only the download driver for editions before XP ,,,..because (as they say) the drivers for it are installed with all versions after Win 98 and should be right in my XP files ...............well....it ain't !

I have tried going into the bios and shutting off the floppy drive so that it should be able to detect the usb floppy device , but that don't work .. :wacko:

I paid for a driver identifier program and got nowhere with it !!

I have reinstalled my xp to the point that microsoft is now refusing to validate it any longer because of 2 many installs.. :blink:

I searched my computer for ..mitsumi.....nothing .

I'm looking for ideas as to where to go now and what to try . Any ideas ?

The external drive will only show up as A: if....

1. You don't already have a floppy drive installed in the system.

It wants to be drive A: and you can only have one drive A: on any one system.

If you already have an A: drive.....your USB drive may show up as B:

This depends a lot on how your motherboard is seeing it.

2. You have a formatted floppy disk installed in the drive.

That may or may not be required. On my system, it is NOT required.

If you have an internal floppy drive installed, then unplug it.

The external USB floppy drive should only be used on systems that have NO

internal floppy drive installed. Again, that depends a lot on the mobo.

It's a USB device.....Windows XP contains universal drivers for USB devices,

not so for earlier versions of windows, like Windows 98.

On my own system with an MSI mobo, I have support on the mobo for only one Floppy Drive (FD)

and I have one installed, which comes up as drive A:.

When I plug in my USB FD, I get it coming up as Drive B:.

It's visible in "My Computer" as drive B: whether I have a disk in the drive, or not.

I'd have to say, first thing is to check your BIOS to see if USB devices are enabled.

At least, that's a place to start, since there are NO drivers to add for a USB Floppy Drive on windows XP.

It's just not needed and NOT THERE!

Stop looking.....you're NOT going to find it.

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Edited by Andromeda43

Some ideas (not necessarily good ones ;) )

1. determine the USB Vid & Pid of the device, use any of the software linked to in this thread:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=4661

2. read this thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/F6_Driver_USB_Fl...11.html&hl=

Post if something does not make sense to you, if you used Chipgenius, post also the additional information it may give.

jaclaz

For Ponch...Okay , it's a good drive .

Andromeda43.......There is no A drive installed in the computer..I have shut that down in the bios and no physical drive exists .

Having a floppy in the disk will not matter as the drive shows no sign of life during boot...ie. , it can't read if 1 is there or not .

No internal....Floppy is not being used on the Mother and the slot is open and free . MY..XP ..doe's not contain a driver for this floppy as the manufacturer and microsoft state . It may be that i installed it as an upgrade by inserting my win FULL 98 when it asked for proof that i had an existing version installed ie. I did not install it over my 98 , i installed it by itself on a formated C: drive by showing my proof of ownership as a CD of WIN 98 when it asked me to ./////// Yes USB is enabled .

"At least, that's a place to start, since there are NO drivers to add for a USB Floppy Drive on windows XP.".....and that's the exact reason i need to look beyond the XP disc . I am positive that mitsumi makes a driver for this drive due to the fact that it is available on a full version of Win XP . I just don't happen to have that and need another resource in order to get the driver .

Jaclaz.....Nothing is going to help me find it in the computer due to the fact that it is not installed by any software yet ...as long as it is not installed..and only plugged in to the USB.......could be the ..unknown device....but that's showing no properties .................................................................. :rolleyes:

......There is no A drive installed in the computer..I have shut that down in the bios and no physical drive exists .

Having a floppy in the disk will not matter as the drive shows no sign of life during boot...ie. , it can't read if 1 is there or not .

No internal....Floppy is not being used on the Mother and the slot is open and free .....

Well seeing as your PC should be recognising this first as a USB device and second as a floppy this may not work...but first thing I'd do, would be to enable all the options in BIOS relating to floppy drives and USB devices. If your BIOS can't see the device I think its unlikely that Windows will be able to work with it no matter what drivers you do or do not have. My understanding is that your BIOS should be able to see it as a USB connected floppy (but without knowing your specs it is possible it may only see it as a USB device and not recognise it as a floppy). Either way it should still be seeing it. Often there is an option in BIOS for plug and play hardware to be detected either by OS (Windows) or the BIOS itself. Try toggling this to the other option (to what its already set).
MY..XP ..doe's not contain a driver for this floppy as the manufacturer and microsoft state . It may be that i installed it as an upgrade by inserting my win FULL 98 when it asked for proof that i had an existing version installed ie. I did not install it over my 98 , i installed it by itself on a formated C: drive by showing my proof of ownership as a CD of WIN 98 when it asked me to.....
If you did a clean install of Windows XP on a clean partition then Windows XP should have a driver for this device. I would try all your USB ports. I have a portable harddrive that will occasionally be recognised as an "Unknown USB Device" on my PC but it works flawlessly on all the other PCs I use it on. I'm not sure why it does this but it does. Often a restart solves it (but not always), I have put it down to either flakey motherboard/USB ports or possibly a harddrive (C:?) on the way out. Perhaps you are having similar issues?
"At least, that's a place to start, since there are NO drivers to add for a USB Floppy Drive on windows XP.".....and that's the exact reason i need to look beyond the XP disc . I am positive that mitsumi makes a driver for this drive due to the fact that it is available on a full version of Win XP . I just don't happen to have that and need another resource in order to get the driver .
I strongly doubt that Mitsumi make a XP device driver for this drive as my understanding is that XP contains a generic driver (written by Microsoft) for USB floppy drives. As long as Mitsumi make a device that confirms to the standard then why would they make more work for themselves? If you have confirmed that this device is not faulty (by trying it on someone else's version of XP - as you have suggested you have done) then it seems that it is a specific problem with your machine (hardware or software). Perhaps you could try either locating the driver used on the other XP machine (use driver properties page in device manager on the PC it works on) and copy that onto yours or just try to confirm you have it. It may be worth copying it over anyway just in case your version is corrupted (although seems unlikely if you've done a clean reinstall - windows does a file integrity check on install). Try manually selecting to use the driver (either yours or the one from the other XP machine) with the drivers properties page from device manager. To confirm that all is well with your HDD, perhaps try a full checkdisk (Start > Run > type "chkdsk c: /f /r" - without quotes, <Enter> then restart), followed by a Windows filecheck (after it has run checkdisk and you are logged back into windows: Start > Run > type "sfc /scannow" - again no quotes, <Enter>). You will possibly need your XP disk handy for the file check although you shouldn't need it much after a clean install.
Jaclaz.....Nothing is going to help me find it in the computer due to the fact that it is not installed by any software yet ...as long as it is not installed..and only plugged in to the USB.......could be the ..unknown device....but that's showing no properties .................................................................. :rolleyes:
I think it is still worthy of following jaclaz's advice and see how you go. I think both of those topics he linked to are worthy of a good read and try some of the stuff there. The second thread even mentions the generic Windows driver that is on the XP CD (although I'm not 100% sure thats what its called .

Perhaps another possibility may be some conflict between this device and something else on your system. Possibly worth disconnecting any other devices and try then.

[edit] Using the info I gained from reading jaclaz's second link I have confirmed that the (generic MS) driver is in my XP system partition and confirmed that it supports Mitsumi drives. From usbstor.inf:

[Manufacturer]
; sorted by VID
%Generic.Mfg%=Generic
%Mitsumi.Mfg%=Mitsumi
%HP.Mfg%=HP
%NEC.Mfg%=NEC

To confirm that you have this driver do a search in the Windows folder (make sure you include system files and hidden files or otherwise you won't find it) for "usbstor". On my system there are 3 files: usbstor.inf & usbstor.PNF in C:\Windows\inf\ and USBSTOR.SYS in C:\Windows\drivers\

Edited by JedMeister

Really STRANGE.. :unsure: ..an installer told me that she installs these all the time and that i needed to shut off the bios floppy drive by selecting not installed . That way it would see the external as being the floppy as "A" ........hmmmmmmm..maybe she's blond .

I can make the system see it by plugging it in the usb "hot"..while i am logged in . But it say's that it's an usb device not recognized . Selecting R click ..prop's...it shows as " USB ROOT HUB .........Unknown Device .

Checking in Sys32 , there is a "flpydisk.sys" file , so i copied it up to the Win XP i386 ..with no respose to that . BIOS plug and play is where it belongs .

As i said.....I did a clean install of " Windows XP Home Upgrade by slipping in the 98 cd when it asked to provide the disk to confirm allowable upgrades .

6 USB Ports all show in the system as alive and kicking ..but with the above cloud pop-up when i hot plug it in . No C: problems and i have restarted ..like 55 times already .

The drive itself (MITSUMI USB FDD 061M) is known to work good . Hard drive checks out great ...and i have run PC Wizard 2008 to make sure all is well .

With no access to another xp system anymore .., i was wondering if it would work with someone posting the Win XP Driver Cache i386 files from a good system and the Win XP Sys32 Drivers Folder Files ??

"I think it is still worthy of following jaclaz's advice".....Done it ........................NO conflicts showing and all is working great ..except..

USBSTOR.SYS USBSTOR.PNF USBSTOR.INF and 3 more USBSTOR.SYS found in search .

Found in 9 locations .....I don't show windows drivers , but do show ..windows , drivers cache ..i386 ......and the only usb files in there are USBCAMD2.SYS USBDLOAD.HEX USBD.SYS AND USBCAMD.SYS ...so i will put usbstor.sys in there . Funny that it's located in 2 spots..Win,Driver Cache,i386,sp2.cab and sp3.cab but not in i386 !

USBSTOR.INF say's

[Version]

Signature="$CHICAGO$"

Class=USB

ClassGUID={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

provider=%MSFT%

LayoutFile=LAYOUT.INF

DriverVer=07/01/2001,5.1.2600.0

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect = *

[Manufacturer]

; sorted by VID

%Generic.Mfg%=Generic

%Mitsumi.Mfg%=Mitsumi

%HP.Mfg%=HP

%NEC.Mfg%=NEC

%SMSC.Mfg%=SMSC

%IBM.Mfg%=IBM

%IOData.Mfg%=IOData

%FujiFilm.Mfg%=FujiFilm

%ScanLogic.Mfg%=ScanLogic

%Panasonic.Mfg%=Panasonic

%SCM.Mfg%=SCM

%Sony.Mfg%=Sony

%YEData.Mfg%=YEData

%Iomega.Mfg%=Iomega

%LaCie.Mfg%=LaCie

%TEAC.Mfg%=TEAC

%Hagiwara.Mfg%=Hagiwara

%Imation.Mfg%=Imation

%SanDisk.Mfg%=SanDisk

%Casio.Mfg%=Casio

%DioGraphy.Mfg%=DioGraphy

%M-Sys.Mfg%=M-Sys

%Addonics.Mfg%=Addonics

%OnSpec.Mfg%=OnSpec

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....now about that blond......... :whistle:

The blond said nothing stupid IMHO, it all depends in what order/context she said it.

Now for your problem, how long has your system been running and have you used other USB devices without problem? In other words, are you sure the motherboard and usb drivers have been added properly after XP install if needed ?

Quite frankly I do not understand your approach, you ask for ideas, then continue going on your path, disregarding them. :unsure:

I will try again, maybe I was too brief:

NO MATTER whether a driver is installed or not, one of the linked to program should detect the USB device and it's Vid and Pid.

I don't care whether there are conflicts, I want to know how the floppy drive "identifies" itself.

If you cannot get the above, it is possible that the device or the USB bus are malfunctioning.

Once you get them, you can "tweak" an .inf file to "assign" the found that particular Vid & Pid to a given driver.

Also check the Registry for "Upper Filter" and "Lower Filter" drivers (usually installed by some Virtual Drive program, as they can mess up the USB device recognising.

.pnf files are just .inf files pre-compressed.

You should delete the related .pnf files, in order to make Windows XP re-create them from the correspondent .inf ones.

What I would do AFTER having checked the Vid & Pid and the ID string of the device:

1) disconnect ANY USB connected device

2) go in device manager and REMOVE everything related to USB, including Hub(s) drivers

3) delete all USB*.PNF files

4) delete all OEM*.PNF files

5) Reboot

6) let windows re-install the various USB related drivers

7) try connecting the floppy again

jaclaz

I'm suprised no one's mentioned (unless I missed it) to verify that the motherboard chipset drivers were installed and up to date, possibly check for a BIOS update.

Another possibility can be that the drive is under powered. You could try plugging it into a USB hub to see if that helps.

I'm suprised no one's mentioned (unless I missed it) to verify that the motherboard chipset drivers were installed

yeah you missed, but it's alright.

We had enough of people going WOHAAAHAAHAA YOU DIDN'T READ THE POST! for a month. ;) Peace.

I'm suprised no one's mentioned (unless I missed it) to verify that the motherboard chipset drivers were installed

yeah you missed, but it's alright.

We had enough of people going WOHAAAHAAHAA YOU DIDN'T READ THE POST! for a month. ;) Peace.

:yes: too true! :lol:

The Setup Reads ....Floppy= 3.5 1.44 MB :unsure:

The BOOT menu reads.....1st =Floppy 2nd=CD 3rd=Hard Drive 4th=Unused

Just below this it states .. Floppy Group Boot Priority= Not Installed :unsure:

AT BOOT THE START UP SCREEN= Floppy Disk Failure :unsure:

Ponch...All my devices are USB and work fine .

Jaclaz.....You went wrong somewhere because i have followed all given info to the letter . Delete the pnf's ? Now there's a brave idea ! I must try that ...... :blink:

Getting better . Now the only problem i see in the setup is that it lists the " Floppy Group Boot Priority " as being NOT INSTALLED . :angry:

It still states that in the boot screen " Floppy Diskette Failure " . But i happily report that i no longer get an unknown report at logon desktop ! And that the floppy came on , lit green, and stated that the wrong disk was installed for this operating system . I looked at what was in it and found it to be a Win 98 Start-up 1.44 MB disk . Scrambling around the room to locate another proved fruitless , so i stuck in a Win 95 Winzip disk ...which spun and did nothing .

Now , seeing as that the drive did come on and work , and knowing that the start-up screen say's " Floppy Diskette Failure " , do you have any magic incantations i can cast on this computer ?

I've got my c: and d: hard drives ....perfect . My e: and h: DVD RAM drives working perfectly . My f+g+i+j front panel drives working just fine . All six USB working great .

The driver for the "unknown device " is 'Microsoft 5.1.2600.0' and the date is 7/1/2001 ....that's the floppy .

Should i try messing with the uninstalled floppy Group Priority ? :whistle:

-It still states that in the boot screen " Floppy Diskette Failure " .

-I no longer get an unknown report at logon desktop !

-the floppy came on , lit green, and stated that the wrong disk was installed for this operating system. I looked at what was in it and found it to be a Win 98 Start-up 1.44 MB disk

could you be more precise as when you get those and what the EXACT messages are ?

To me it seems you do boot from floppy but it fails after (MS error message from Win98 setup ?). Also the Winzip floppy you tried after that is probably not bootable.

This is important to be sure it is a sofware problem in your XP and not a hardware problem between the floppy and your computer (underpowered port like jcarle suggested?).

Hit Power on. :thumbup

Start-up bios screen say's .........Floppy Diskette Failure (along with all else is fine).

The Setup Reads ....Floppy= 3.5 1.44 MB

The BOOT menu reads.....1st =Floppy 2nd=CD 3rd=Hard Drive 4th=Unused

Just below this it states .. Floppy Group Boot Priority= Not Installed

EXIT THE SETUP

Continues on to the Log-on Screen and i log-on . Desktop shows up and i look in my computer for new drive but none are there , and no "A" or other new drives is displayed .

This is what happens 90% of the time ............so i hot unplug it and get a message that "USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED"

"One of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it . For assistance in solving this problem , click this message "

When i click it , it goes to --USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNIZED---screen

"The location of the device is shown in bold"

" USB ROOT HUB " (10 ports)

UNKNOWN DEVICE

Unused Port

Unused Port

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

DOUBLE CLICK THE UNKNOWN DEVICE

Device Type = Universal Serial Bus Controler

Manufacturer = (Standard USB Host Controller)

Location = Location 0 (USB DEVICE)

No Drivers are installed for this device .

I gotta go to the doc's today down in Saratoga , so i will take this with me and drive the Xtra hour to Albany and see what Circuit City has to say .