Similar Topics and bumping old posts

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

No it doesnt matter at all!

I cant believe how many people make a big deal about DATES on many sites im on....

GET OVER IT!!!!! Find something better to worry about!

If the link in the thread IS STILL VALID,and you have something to add to the topic @ hand,then why not? (THE THREAD WOULD BE DELETED IF THEY DIDNT WANT IT REPLIED TO)

I have replied to a thread with a last reply date in 1999 before!! (ITS NO BIG DEAL)

I am on another site that gets MORE BUMPED THREADS than here anonymous_user (They find the threads on that site via google i think)

Edited by Dude111

I dont think Ive been at another forum where old posts were bumped as often as on MSFN.

Could it be (at least partially) due to the "Similar Topics" feature?

There are plenty of forums like this. It happens because many threads (especially old ones) are brought up in google searches. If you don't want threads to be bumped, admins can do this: create archive sub-forum. Mark as read-only for member mask (all options available for staff) then move threads with no replies in say 6 months in there automatically. IPB has this automatic ability built-in, or at least it did.

But really, does it matter that much? You just have to pay attention to what you are doing. Sometimes I forget to look do but its no big deal.

I have found MANY GOOD THREADS on many sites i am on with last reply dates in 2002,etc and the link in that thread WAS STILL VALID,should it not be replied to just cause its date is old?

Pretty stupid........

It's in the rules that threads should only really be revived if there is relevant information being contributed. All too often I see posts resurrected from the dead with messages that do not contribute anything.

As the rule clearly states:

9. Please do not bash old topics when a member has made it active again, it's been made active for a good reason; to answer an unanswered question, or to bring new information. It does not need to be closed or deleted.