I can't get HFSLIP to do the slipstreaming

Brabant

Hi all,

First a thanks to fdv, TommyP and TC for their wonderful software.

I only just started using 2000 so I have hfslip 1.7.8 and fdv files version #7 (I don't know any other).

After following steps 1 to 13 of 2ksp5.html I get an iso which, when installing, tells me that it can't copy acgenral.dll. When I continue to

install (pressing ESC) the files aclayers.dll, acspecfc.dll and au.inf can't be found either.

I tried this in various combinations of XP's NTdetect and ntldr, 5.01 fixes, DX9 files and compression (A - F). That didn't help :rolleyes:

Now I found these files in W2KSP4_EN.EXE's i386\new directory. So I decided to slipstream myself (again followed 2ksp5.html) and this

time the OS installs.

Except in the first "GUI part" of the install, when it says "installs Start menu items", where it can't find

the README.TXT. Then setup continues.

The result is that I'm missing desktop and other icons, see the png for that. And of course the README, which should be on the desktop (if I read

the posts here correctly).

My question is: Should I try to fix the missing files issue (and maybe start looking in a wrong direction) or start from scratch because obviously

something went wrong when I let hfslip do the slipstreaming?

BTW: I did a chkdsk, a defrag and an md5 check of W2KSP4_EN.EXE.

EDIT: "Start menu" was the text of course...

log_icons.7z

Edited by Brabant

Hmm, this is an odd one.

The missing icons result from not having NT4ICONS.DLL, which should be in FDVFILES.

The missing files errors = no idea.

FWIW I have been working on a revised fileset. I am testing it now and I will edit this and post the URL if there are no major problems with it (I doubt it, I have been working on it since May).

Try this new one instead and see what happens. Set 8

Edited by fdv

I haven't even started yet :lol: . Till now I used an old P3 on a BX board for making the isos and that's slow. So yesterday I decided to trash XP from my 1800+/KT4V-L combo because this is one of the target systems for 2000. The following is UNrelated to hfslip but I hope to find some help.

I installed 2000, SP4, VIA Hyperion 5.12 and video driver. Now the board has a KT400 chipset which isn't the most compatible bit of hardware (never got a Promise TX2 to run with decent speeds on it).

The problem is that USB flash drives (or USB sticks or whatever) when disconnected are immediately connected again! Whether I choose "Stop USB mass storage device" or "unplug or eject hardeware" the drive will disappear from explorer, it's LED flashes off and back on and the drive appears in explorer again. It's not just cosmetic, I can use it.

This does not happen with USB hard disks.

Google is not my friend. 8+ hours of searching got me no further than "assign IRQ to USB controller in the BIOS" which I can't. There's some old VIA USB patches for SP3 and some "Filter drivers" that don't help. Of course it worked under XP and the drives work on an other computer.

Before I go any further; has anyone ever seen this happen? Maybe there's even a HF for it (couldn't find it).

@tommyp: It's not that I'm unwilling to use more HFs but you see with only SP4 I'm already stuck with "My Pictures" as a system folder and I understand removing this sort of junk only gets more difficult when using later HFs.

EDIT: Also, when selecting everything, KB942831 (IIS) and KB944338 (Jscript) are in the list. I don't think I'll need those with fdv fileset.

EDIT2: Sorry, I thought setting the "ACPI Standby State" from S1/POS to S3/STR would solve it. But no. Does it maybe require a new windows installation?

Edited by Brabant

fdv: On the 1800+ File set 8 builds and installs (virtualbox 1.5.6) great . Thanks for this.

File set 7 does not (1800+, exact same files as in 1st post, compression default). NT4ICONS.DLL and the README are both in the iso's i386 dir. If there's anything you want me to check on this let me know. Otherwise I'll go on with set 8.

Edited by Brabant

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem as OP with missing dlls starting with acgenral.dll aclayers.dll acspecfc.dll au.inf dssenh.dll and a good dozen others. I tried following Vorck's slipstream guide, and when it happened, I tried to simply do unofficial SP5 slipstream with same results. Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, I didn't know what else to try.

hfslip.log

Host OS - Windows 2000

HFSLIP Version - 1.7.8, build 80614

HFSLIP Path - Z:\hfslip\

OS in SOURCESS - Windows 2000 Professional SP4 English

DirectX - DirectX9 Slipstreamed

Drivers - DRIVER.CAB Updated

CD Install Path - Default

CDTAG - CDROM_NT.5

Mods - FDV Fileset

===============================================================================

Files in your HF folder:

Files in your HFCABS folder:

BDANT.cab

dxnt.cab

Files in your HFGUIRUNONCE folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder:

Files in your HFSVCPACK_SW2 folder:

Files in your HFTOOLS folder:

7za.exe

bbie.exe

boot.bin

cmdow.exe

MAKECAB.EXE

mkisofs.exe

modifyPE.exe

Files in your REPLACE folder:

Z:\hfslip\REPLACE\Firefox Setup 3.0.1.exe

Z:\hfslip\REPLACE\ProcessExplorer.zip

Z:\hfslip\REPLACE\unlocker1.8.7.exe

===============================================================================

HFSLIP run time: 4m35s

I recommend to use tomcat76's list of updates to be sure that you are up to date. ...

I think not to do that .... :no:

Last update of list for Windows 2000 = 2008-04-14 :(

Last update of list for Windows XP SP3 = 2008-06-11 :(

@FDV

Would you say that fileset 8 is in it's final state now, or is it still a test release ?

I'm asking since your site still states 'New fileset Tuesday May 27, 2008 (minor bugfix in IE.INF)'...

Also, sorry for off-topic'ness, but could you please also tell me if the 'iexplore.exe' dummy-file and the 'Internet Explorer' folder it's located in, also is one of the things you've made in the fileset to help trick IE-dependant apps into thinking that IE is installed ?

I'm asking because if the folder and dummy-file dosen't help fool IE-dependant apps, then i will delete the folder and dummy-file from RunOnceEx in my next ISO, as i don't need another shortcut for my browser...

Thank you so much for your continued efforts, mate - It's very much appreciated :)

Thank's in advance.

CU, Martin.

Now with HF packed with stuff in the_guy's list (everything under Windows except 908531, the two under "IE with fdv's fileset" and the dx9c fix) and using set 8 I cannot get an "ACPI PC" installation.

I get a "Standard PC" and when running setup again from cd, hitting F5, I get in the menu where type of pc can be chosen. Moving up from Standard PC to "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" and hitting enter brings me back to the setup screen with "Setup is starting Windows 2000" in the bottom left.

I then waited 20 minutes :) but nothing happens...

Of course when I reinstalled from windows cd I did get an ACPI PC. I just wanted to check if it was possible at all without changing current config (like BIOS settings).

Is type of PC defined in winnt.sif? Can I use that file from set 7?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: I don't have 842773 either.

Edited by Brabant