How small can I make Vista x64?

pepak

I wonder: How small can I make Vista x64 while still retaining basic functionality (accessing shared folders on other computers, sharing my own folders, printing...)? Nonessential stuff such as movie maker, media player, Aero etc. can go, I can live without the drivers (I can use a version from the manufacturer, stripped to the bare bones), pagefile will be disabled and temp directories moved to a different drive, but I need to keep critical functions. Installed applications are not a problem, since I only install two or three which can not be made "portable".

I have read several reports about "extreme vliting", but those seem like pointless competition rather than building a setup which will be used by an actual user. (The reason I ask: I am considering the move to 64 bits, but I have a limtied space for system partition - I use Gigabyte i-RAM which maxes out at 4 GB).

My Vista x64 with sp1 is 1.17gb.. and i haven't even removed half the stuff :rolleyes:

How's that possible? I remove 234 components on 249 (extreme is active) and I am nowhere near that. winsxs is even removed! Even I remove .NET, my Windows folder would be roughly 3Go. You sure it's x64?

My Vista x64 with sp1 is 1.17gb.. and i haven't even removed half the stuff :rolleyes:

How's that possible? I remove 234 components on 249 (extreme is active) and I am nowhere near that. winsxs is even removed! Even I remove .NET, my Windows folder would be roughly 3Go. You sure it's x64?

He probably thinks on installation disc, not on installed size.

Cheers ;)