Help with renaming drives

Jaser

HI,

Is there anyway to change the drives.

I formatted computer and now the old D drive which was my second hdd which i put everything i wanted keep is now the C drive.

and the D driver, formally the C drive is the HDD that windows was installed on.

Is there any way to change that without reformatting both HDDs?

Cheers,

Jason

post-119765-1217140686_thumb.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I have used PartionMagic suite more times than I can count for this exact issue and its worked perfectly for me everytime

I would be curious to know how Partition Magic is supposed to change letters of an installed Windows XP, which was the OP question.

Care to tell us how you did it? :unsure:

jaclaz

You don't have to format both drives. It would be best if you did but you can install Windows on the current C: drive. Then, format d:, then copy files from c: to d:.

However, this is a messy way of doing it. You will get two boot options, one form xp on d: and one for c:. to remove d:, you'll have to edit boot.ini.

I recommend creating a boot CD, like bartpe. Format d:, copy files from c: to d:, then install on formatted c:.

Otherwise, you cannot change drive letters!

And partition magic cannot do it either!

My advice:

Get used to it, or;

Copy everything you want to keep off C:. Disconnect all drives other than D: (the one you want to be C: on your new setup). Install Windows to the new C: drive. Reconnect all other drives and configure to desirable drive letters using XPs built in Disk Manager.

PS what you want to do can be done in theory, but it will bring you a whole world of pain. It would probably take you the same time to do a clean reinstall of Windows 5 times over!