KDW / FCWIN2K

Hi WildBill.

I think that there are 3 reasons it does'nt work sometimes.

First reason is API loaded with a few method.

* Static Load.

* Dynamic Load(GetModuleHandle and GetProcAddress)

Second reason is don't be guaranteed fixed address with the exception of kernel32 and user32.

Third reason is one dll is loaded many times from many dlls on certain program.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work, and I'm sort of stumped. Like everything else, it's written in Delphi, and it's actually a pretty small program. Would anyone be interested in taking a look at it?

Dunno, button is greyed out,that's why i could wish i could read his site better.

May give up since I'm moving to Linux soon, too much effort just to hear my radio

station with windoze Firefox.

What is it written in button caption ?

I think your system dll is old.

EZ install

what do you mean?

I just don't get how to use your stuff....def a language barrier, like trying to read a Japanese

owners manual of the 1960s, I'm sure you're brilliant but I've decided to move to Mandriva, at least I

can install it on several machines without buying extra licences.

EZ install

what do you mean?

I just don't get how to use your stuff....def a language barrier, like trying to read a Japanese

owners manual of the 1960s, I'm sure you're brilliant but I've decided to move to Mandriva, at least I

EZ install on KDW is a way of trying to get XP applications to work under Windows 2000 without actually replacing any system dlls in the system32 folder.

You select the folder where the application's executable is, using the "refer" button. Select the dlls you want to use (e.g. kernel32.dll) and press the EZ install button. That transfers the modified dll to the application's folder, along with a wrapper dll.

I did have great success with that while I was still using KDW (I've gone over to XP now :blushing: )

It also creates .local files which go with any executables in the folder. I'm not sure what these do, but they are sometimes necesary for it to work.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

EZ install

what do you mean?

EZ install on KDW is a way of trying to get XP applications to work under Windows 2000 without actually replacing any system dlls in the system32 folder.

You select the folder where the application's executable is, using the "refer" button. Select the dlls you want to use (e.g. kernel32.dll) and press the EZ install button. That transfers the modified dll to the application's folder, along with a wrapper dll.

I did have great success with that while I was still using KDW (I've gone over to XP now :blushing: )

It also creates .local files which go with any executables in the folder. I'm not sure what these do, but they are sometimes necesary for it to work.

I was going through my Windows Internals 5 book today and it says that Windows uses the .local files to determine which DLLs to load from the application's folder instead of from the WINNT\System32 folder. It also says, though, that the mechanism doesn't work for permanently mapped DLLs or DLLs that they load. That said, blackwingcat is the real expert on how KDW works, of course.

I think that you had better see also 'SafeDllSearchMode' :)

I was going through my Windows Internals 5 book today and it says that Windows uses the .local files to determine which DLLs to load from the application's folder instead of from the WINNT\System32 folder. It also says, though, that the mechanism doesn't work for permanently mapped DLLs or DLLs that they load. That said, blackwingcat is the real expert on how KDW works, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

BlackWingCat: Do you have any plans to add support for EnumerateTraceGuids in ADVAPI32.DLL?

I only ask because the "setup.exe" that is part of the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable depends on it to run. I've changed the OS and subsystem version values in the "setup.exe" header from 5.01 to 5.00 and the EnumerateTraceGuids function is the only dependency that remains on my system.

FYI, I can complete the setup process by running the "vc_red.msi" installer that is in the same directory as "setup.exe", but it would be nice to be able to run the "setup.exe" file as well. :)

Edited by buckchow

I know this has probably been asked before, but how does one install this? Is it supposed to be an automated install/un-install?

I couldn't find a single instance of any English speaker giving instruction on how to install, and uninstall this...

There is no install/uninstall routine as such. To use KDW, simply unzip the files to a folder of your choosing.

Read the English readme files. They do suffer from some translation problems, but are reasonably clear.

There are two basic program files to run, kdllinst.exe actually installs the dlls to the system32 folder, or the "ezinstall" process just installs them to the folder of the program you want to run.

fcwin2k.exe is a compatibility forcer program to make msi and exe installation files compatible with Windows 2000.

To uninstall, you just delete all these files.

There is no install/uninstall routine as such. To use KDW, simply unzip the files to a folder of your choosing.

Read the English readme files. They do suffer from some translation problems, but are reasonably clear.

There are two basic program files to run, kdllinst.exe actually installs the dlls to the system32 folder, or the "ezinstall" process just installs them to the folder of the program you want to run.

fcwin2k.exe is a compatibility forcer program to make msi and exe installation files compatible with Windows 2000.

To uninstall, you just delete all these files.

Okay. I think I understand, thanks.

I attempted to use this with the latest Srware Iron (Google Chrome derivative), and I received an "iswow64" kernel32 error while attempting to install. From what I've read it's related to 64bit OSes, so it's a strange error considering.

Great news! I have just succeeded getting Chrome 4.1.249.1036 (March 2010 version) to work on Win2K using KDW 0.83a.

First I made sure wtsapi32.dll was added to my ExcludeFromKnownDLLs registry and rebooted to take effect.

Then I downloaded Chrome 4.1.249.1036 from here:

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/symbols/4.1.249.1036/mini_installer.exe

Saved it to my "Default download folder" so BlackWingCat's Chrome2K can find it, and renamed it to ChromeSetup.exe.

Then I went here:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/360097.html

To download crm2k35a.zip from here:

http://files.me.com/theblackcat/7ypvtl

Then I ran the Chrome2K.exe down the line of buttons and setup.exe CRASHED... but Chrome 4.1 was successfully installed nevertheless! See the result:

20100426-14.48.29-chrome-4.1.249-win2k.png

Who needs Windows XP with it's Activation & DRM nonsense?

Edited by Syclone0044

I take it then that this project is done on a case by case basis for the dlls? Pretty much just to get specific programs working, as opposed to something like the KernelEx project?

Chrome is nice, but I'd much rather use source code based Iron.

BWC: I've definitely been going to your site waaaaay too much; I spent a few hours last night looking at pages on katakana and now I can recognize ファイル as "File" (literally, fa-ee-ru).

And now my brain hurts. Why couldn't it be something simple, like Spanish? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

And now my brain hurts. Why couldn't it be something simple, like Spanish? ;)

I hope to make my blog so.

But I'm not good at English very well. :no:

If you can't understand on my blog , it is easy that you use twitter to contact me.

My Twitter acount is BlackWingCat.

There is a good news, Soon I release OE6SP3 for Windows 2000 English version.

Hi, HardDriv'n

KDW Project can use XP Function with 3 way methods.

* Extend DLLs are inserted in System folder.

* Disable SafeDllSearchMode and copy Extend DLLs in Application folder.

* KDW writes and changes Application exe's Link table and forces to link extend Dlls.

Of course The Chrome Installer for Windows 2000 works Iron 3/4, too.

I take it then that this project is done on a case by case basis for the dlls? Pretty much just to get specific programs working, as opposed to something like the KernelEx project?

Chrome is nice, but I'd much rather use source code based Iron.