How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

When I tried this windows 7 is OK but I have Problem with the microsoft XP, in installing the XP in the third part a pop-up Big box states "FATAL ERROR: ONE OF THE COMPONENTS THAT WINDOWS NEEDS TO CONTINUE SETUP COULD NOT BE INSTALLED." with "UNTRANSLATABLE MESSAGE, WIN32LAST ERROR IS 14001." I have done all the things you taught but this problem really makes me stuck.. here's the log file attached.

WinSetupFromUSB.zip

When I tried this windows 7 is OK but I have Problem with the microsoft XP, in installing the XP in the third part a pop-up Big box states "FATAL ERROR: ONE OF THE COMPONENTS THAT WINDOWS NEEDS TO CONTINUE SETUP COULD NOT BE INSTALLED." with "UNTRANSLATABLE MESSAGE, WIN32LAST ERROR IS 14001." I have done all the things you taught but this problem really makes me stuck.. here's the log file attached.

Did you try with unmodified XP source?

Does setup continue despite this error?

Is iastor.sys present in \system32\drivers when this error comes up? Shift+F10 when it shows up and cd/dir to the drivers folder to find out.

Yes it continues when clicking cancel

post-188299-0-19158000-1340112099_thumb.

but then fails on reboot..

post-188299-0-24811900-1340113297_thumb.

If I copy newest RST drivers to floppy, make an image with rawwritewin-0.7, include it using the advanced setting in WinSetupFromUSB, then pressing f6 and try to load driver I get the following error:

post-188299-0-23669600-1340112278_thumb.

Edited by dadaniel

@dadaniel

I am getting it, there is mismatch, Text mode uses, create such service and copies iastor7.sys, PNP detection in GUI mode replaces it with iastor.sys as in the inf file, the file is missing, hence the error and BSOD on first reboot. This is to be taken care of, will see what I can do.

As for the floppy image- can you post contents of it with txtsetup.oem included?

I copy the contents of http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21408/eng/f6flpy-x86_11.2.0.1006.zip to a floppy disk and create the img file with http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

I attached the zipped img file

ahci.zip

Try replacing these lines in winsetup.lst:

title Load F6 SATA/RAID/SCSI drivers from ahci.img\nSelect once before Text mode of Setup
map --unmap=0:0xff && map --unhook && map --rehook
set FLPIMG=/WINSETUP/ahci.img
ls %FLPIMG% > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf %FLPIMG% > nul
map --mem %FLPIMG% (fd1)
map --mem (md)0x6000+800 (fd0)
map --hook
dd if=(fd1) of=(fd0) count=1
set DPMS=1
ls /usbdrive.tag > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf /usbdrive.tag > nul
configfile /winsetup.lst

#F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6# #DO NOT REMOVE THESE LINES

with:

title Load F6 SATA/RAID/SCSI drivers from ahci.img\nSelect once before Text mode of Setup
map --unmap=0:0xff && map --unhook && map --rehook
set FLPIMG=/WINSETUP/ahci.img
ls %FLPIMG% > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf %FLPIMG% > nul
map --mem %FLPIMG% (fd1)
map --mem %FLPIMG% (fd0)
map --hook
set DPMS=1
ls /usbdrive.tag > nul || find --set-root --devices=hf /usbdrive.tag > nul
configfile /winsetup.lst

#F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6##F6# #DO NOT REMOVE THESE LINES

If doesn't work- remove the line:

map --mem %FLPIMG% (fd1)

In addition- Setup auto loads from the virtual floppy image only default driver as stated in txtsetup.oem, if floppy image contain multiple drives as in this case. Try pressing F6 and select the appropriate driver. Or edit txtsetup.oem, read around this post for details:

Just tested your file with the above changes on Dell Latitude E6400 in AHCI mode, this requires iastor7 from BTS mass storage DP, VEN_8086&DEV_2929.

Pressed F6, then S, selected "Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" and Text mode loaded fine to the partition screen displaying the internal disk too. Can't test further, this is a work machine.

Hi,

After i added win7 and WinXP can i use the software again to add an extra image, without loosing the older "instalation"?

Is there any tutorials for beta8? Stuff i used with older version doesnt work now

Thanks in advance

Hi,

After i added win7 and WinXP can i use the software again to add an extra image, without loosing the older "instalation"?

Yes.
Is there any tutorials for beta8?
What is bothering you? There are tooltips on each element of the GUI giving brief information what this button/option is for.

You can also always ask here if something is not clear. As for tutorials, most of the ones in i-net for beta7 should be relevant, except of the few new options.

Stuff i used with older version doesnt work now
You will have more detailed...

Thank you very much, I'm able to choose the correct driver with F6 and Z now but when it starts copying files it displays the following error:

This seems to fall into the following "F6 driver from virtual floppy" limitation :

In short- edit Defaults section with the appropriate driver if floppy contains more records, as the case is with Intel's floppy, do not press F6, or include Firadisk or WinVBlock drivers as mentioned in cdob's posts.

PS: It seems there is a slightly newer version of DPMS available: http://chenall.net/post/g4d_hd_tools/

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.

The issue is with the logic in DPMS and the inconsistent between the various releases contents of DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini, which is serving properly its purpose for its own integrator, but not good enough and of course not intended for the currently implemented logic in DPMS for some cases.

The newer DPMS version only contains new set of drivers, the ones included WinSetupFromUSB are the very latest ones at time of publishing it. You may get lucky with some drivers, but unlucky with other ones, and this varies between releases of BTS mass storage packs due to the different DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini contents.

DPMS uses driver and file names from DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini, say that's iaStor7.sys for example, it's copied to the virtual floppy along with iastor.inf and iastor.cat. Text mode works fine, it uses what's written in txtsetup.oem, iaStor7.sys, everything is fine.

During GUI mode PNP detection uses iastor.inf, the sys file mentioned in it is iaStor.sys, file is missing, error and BSOD 0x7B on next reboot.

The solution as I see it is either to manually edit DriverPack_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32.ini record by record and replace any non-matching file names with the ones in the corresponding inf file, or DPMS.bat has to be amended to use file names as are in the inf file when creating txtsetup.oem.

The former is a lot of work, I started but gave up quickly, not to mention that with next driver pack all this has to be redone. The latter I tried too, but grub4dos programming skills needed and used in DPMS.bat (respect to Chenall for also maintaining grub4dos, and not only, and implementing new features and bugfixes) are beyond my abilities.

Will try to contact him if he has the time and willingness to work on that.

Meanwhile, for anyone needing SATA/RAID/SCSI drivers- integrate BTS mass storage DP with BTS DP base in your source, this is proven and supported solution:

http://driverpacks.net/docs/beginners-guide-windows-xp

Hello,

I am trying to format 4 gb usb drive and copy installation files for windows xp on it. Can you look at the screenshot and tell me if these are the right settings? I never have tried something like this before and I don’t want to make something wrong.

Thanks!

screenshot010eq.jpg

Hello,

I am trying to format 4 gb usb drive and copy installation files for windows xp on it. Can you look at the screenshot and tell me if these are the right settings? I never have tried something like this before and I don’t want to make something wrong.

Thanks!

You should try NTFS and even better, use the latest version available in the first post, currently 1.0 beta8, it also has an option for auto-format, just leave the default settings.

I think I did everything correctly. I only don’t understand the message that appear in the end to keep the usb plugged and test it in text mode and gui mode.

It means to start from USB 3 times during Setup, once for Text mode part, second for GUI mode part, and third for first normal desktop.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/13/

With latest version you need to start from USB only once, for the Text mode.

When I start the windows xp installation it reaches the moment when I have to format the “C” partition but it doesn’t recognize the partitions on my laptop, only shows the installation usb as a partition. Why this happening?

Also in the beginning when it boots from the usb I see this messages:

First part of Windows xp Professional setup

Second part of Windows xp Professional setup

I don’t know if this is normal.

Edited by user999