portable drives not showing up in Windows Explorer

speedster00

Its been going on a few weeks. Everytime I plug in ANY usb drive, it only shows up under Disk management. It wont show up under windows explorer. On top of that, Explorer opens very slowly. It takes about 20 seconds to open. The computer runs great. XP SP2, core 2 Duo, office 12. Everything runs fine. I have run every virus check I know of including HJT logs with no luck. One person advised me to delete my inpfcache.1 file and reboot. so I did. But the system didnt rebuild that file. I found this out because I was going to do it again and couldnt find the file. so I restored the file from the recycle been. Any ideas guys?

Have you tried changing the drive letters? Try changing the drive letter to something higher up like L or M. This may not work but it's worth a shot. I've seen this fix issues like this one before.

Edited by joe43wv

Have you tried changing the drive letters? Try changing the drive letter to something higher up like L or M. This may not work but it's worth a shot. I've seen this fix issues like this one before.

I did try that. the drive shows up....but then I unplug it and plug it back in and it doesnt show up again. then gives me an error that what ever I set the drive letter as has an error.

what drive letters do you have now? without a device plugged in and what are they?

Any network drives?

If the next drive letter after the last physical drive in your machine is used for a network drive the system will still try and use that drive letter for a physical drive when added to the system like a usb device.

What happens if you type E:\ or whatever letter is given to the USB drive in the run windows and try to browse it that way?

When you plug in a USB drive, does Windows bring up the little "What do you want Windows to do?" window?

Is this a new install of Windows?

Any software recently updated or removed?

Edited by TheReasonIFail

What happens if you type E:\ or whatever letter is given to the USB drive in the run windows and try to browse it that way?

When you plug in a USB drive, does Windows bring up the little "What do you want Windows to do?" window?

Is this a new install of Windows?

Any software recently updated or removed?

if I type e:\ it gives me an error stating nothing is ascociated with it. But the drive is labled as E under disk management.

No, windows doesnt bring up that prompt asking me what I want to do.

Not necesarily a new install. about 2 months old. no problems until now.

only thing that updated recently is the service pack for office 2007 (12)

I dont remember that making a difference but it could have.

Edited by speedster00