track programs that are accessing the net

xcellweb

how can i keep an eye on what programs are trying to go on the internet as when im using my laptop it hammers the wireless for no real reason and prevents me from having a decent ping on steam but i've checked whats on the laptop start up and its all legit programs!?

Wireshark is hands down the best network tool, but it might not be the most user friendly (you have to know how to draw conclusions from the captured packets).

A firewall that controls outbound connections would work I guess (not a big fan of them myself).

Another option would be MS' own Network Monitor, v3.2 (on the connect site) will let you see what processes are making the traffic too. It's a LOT nicer than v3.1 (it can even open pcap captures)

It's called a firewall.

got a router so no need no pnp open either

So your router monitors outgoing traffic as well?

If not, a firewall (Comodo Pro which is free) is what I would recommend.

I'll have to have a look at WireShark....but in the meantime +1 for Comodo Pro. I used to use it but I got sick of it telling me every time explorer.exe was trying to connect to the net, etc etc. Good prog for what it is but a bit painful really. I'm behind a router so no real need for a software firewall, but great for logging and/or stopping traffic (if that's your aim).