Windows XP Pro Corp VLK

Redhatcc

ok.. i am confused how do people not get caught using VLK's in windows xp corp like when they leak out and all? I know that with a corp vlk you dont have to activate but seems like the pirated and leaked copies of these keys would be cut by microsoft somehow? I read where a few had leaked out and was used to install 2-3 million computers according to microsoft worldwide, and all they did was geoban the activation when getting updates or something to people that are outside of the North America.

Just wondering... if they knew a key was illegal couldnt they just kill the key and give the corp another key that it leaked from? I know that they do this sometimes is bad situations, but there is alot of people getting away with pirating windows lol

Edited by Redhatcc

lol reason i asked is that a local computer store in Myrtle Beach, SC "Computer Inferno" just got poped in federal district court with Microsoft Corp. for using stuff like this lol. and they continued to use illegal copies of microsoft xp, office 2007 & office 2003 AFTER microsoft had warned them several times to stop lol! i belive if microsoft called me up and told me something like that i would wake up fast...

"And where do you think this discussion could go ?" lol idk i was just asking i dont think i posted nothing wrong

Computer Inferno vs Microsoft Corp.

i just dont see how microsoft wouldnt come up with somekind of game plan and forget what the media has to say about it... software piracy loses like 10billion / year according to some online stats....

Edited by Redhatcc

MS cant really crack down on 'casual piracy' (a person buys 1 copy and installs on 5 of their own PCs) I think the reasons why are

1. even though some people (mostly slashdotters) would have you believe MS is an evil greedy corporation, they have not stooped to the RIAA/MPAAs level and started suing little old ladies on welfare for pirating their product.
  2. even if they did sue EVERYONE that pirated windows, thats very bad press.

WGA can help curb casual piracy a little but IMO this isnt what WGA was designed for.

However, if Microsoft can locate a merchant who is SELLING pirated copies of Windows, they can sue the heck out of them and nobody cares because at that merchant was stealing from MS at the expense of their customers. all it takes for a merchant to get caught is 1 person that bought their PC from said merchant to run WGA, have it fail, and call MS (prolly takes more than 1 complaint but you know what im getting at)

... even if they did sue EVERYONE that pirated windows, thats very bad press...
95% Of Mexico would be sued :lol: .
With each service pack they blacklist hundreds of keys.
They do this with windows-updates...

95% Of Mexico would be sued

haha :lol: :lol: that realy should be as funny as you made it seem...

but from what i've read vista is getting down and dirty about this exploit... and with xp soon running out of updates to come, they might be working towards something on their end (activation and update center etc.)

Indeed, people are getting smarter and buy a legal Windows Vista, mostly 64bit. The cost is about 120USD here now (after 15% tax). Most people will use an OS for 3 to 5 years so what´s the big deal that you pay 24 to 40 USD a year for an OS you use almost every day…

I have a small computer shop here, and 20% of my customers buy the license now, before they just bought the computers but went for a copy to the flee-market if you know what I mean. Sure the computers sold in the supermarket have there license already with them and that would make those 5%. There are way more supermarket PCs sold than those 5%, but those had XP on them and people went for a not legal copy of Vista.

Bigger companies are target now, like the Coca Cola company in Querétaro, they had all but no legal Windows copies installed :P.

Bill Gates said back years ago when pirating windows was first getting mainstream notice: if they're going to pirate something, at least it's Windows. We'll work on turning them into paying customers later.

It's not in their best interest to sue every downloader because it costs too much and the return is too little. RIAA is suing for distribution and trying to collect hundreds of thousands of dollars (which is another discussion entirely), MS could only sue for essentially 1 count of copyright infringement... what's that, $750? They'll spend 5x that in lawyers fees. They have enough problems with antitrust issues in the EU to waste their time trying to sue every person who possibly pirated windows.

... software piracy loses like 10billion / year according to some online stats....

Always take these numbers with a grain of salt and look who is the source of this. Not every pirated copy would have been sold.

GL

They get those numbers by saying that a pirated copy is indeed "in use", and if the user had paid for it then it costs $x because the product is being used, but was not bought.

And technically, if someone is pirating software and using it, they *should* have paid for it so technically it is a loss, as the company doesn't get paid but the software is still in use. It's not a "hard" loss like someone breaking in and stealing office equipment, but it is a lost sale.

It's an interesting topic. :whistle:

For years, the little mom & pop shops have been putting Copies of OS's on the computers they make.

Anyone who thinks this is something new, just hasn't been around much.

Heck, in some foreign countries almost NO-One buys any software at all.

One of my favorite quotes is from a person in Serbia..."We don't buy Software!"

But, before WGA this didn't come to the forefront.

But all is not lost for the user of a bogus copy of XP (for instance).

All he/she has to do is delete WGA from their computer, turn off Auto-Updates and keep right on using the OS as if nothing ever happened.

The more advanced user has downloaded a new license key and replaced the old OS key with the new, active one and keeps right on computing and getting updates.

It would cost M$ far more than the amount that they would ever get from the illegal users, to pay their attorneys to go after every illegal user. It's not "Cost Effective".

There is a free flow of illegal software coming out of Eastern Europe, available to anyone who wants it.

(every software title you could imagine)

I'd guess that there's over a $M worth of illegal software downloaded every day. Gates is still a Billionaire!

So what's all the fuss?

B)

Bigger companies are target now, like the Coca Cola company in Querétaro, they had all but no legal Windows copies installed :P.

Not only Coca Cola, same as Querétaro government... they had used pirated MS Office, which has been replaced with OpenOffice :) :)