USB 2.0 problem/ Major hardware problem

jatinder

Hi all,

Thank you very much for reading my post.

This being my first post on this forum , so please accept my sincere aplogies if i have posted this in wrong forum.

Problem:

I have ACER 5004wlmi with windows Xp professsional SP2 installed in it.

Yesterday i bought Seagate freeaget desktop 500 GB hard disk , but whenever i try to to use this drive with any of the three USB's i get this error that .....

please change port as the device you are trying to connect is of high speed USB and it will work in reduced mode if used in this.....

Now whenver i try to transfer huge amounts of data (say more then 3 GB) at one go it gives out BSOD..

I ran windows debugger , and it is showing this erroe as due to

"ntoskrnl.exe". I have checked thru three antivirus solutions: ESET , KIS and N360 and it's not the dreaded virus.

Please help me regarding this . As a workaround i am thinking of buying USB hub either of BELKIN or IOGEAR .... will this help???

Thank you in advance for helping me out. I am including the most recent memory and user dump file...

P.S. See the attached files

Memory_Dump.txt

User.DMP.txt

That's strange, it seems like your laptop does have USB 2.0 ports:

http://www.clearanceclub.com/depot/quelle_...?sku=5939#specs

Using a Hub will make NO difference (if not possibly worsen data transfer).

Check which drivers are used for USB (from device manager).

Check BIOS if there is any setting related to USB, try changing them.

Try using a Live CD of some kind to test if problem remaind the same.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Using a Hub will make NO difference (if not possibly worsen data transfer).

Check which drivers are used for USB (from device manager).

Check BIOS if there is any setting related to USB, try changing them.

Try using a Live CD of some kind to test if problem remaind the same.

jaclaz

thanks jaclaz for your quick response.

I checked thru device manager found these drivers for USB:

SIS TO PCI converter

Enhanced USB driver. and few others .... (if you want i can upload its screenshot)

with respect to BIOS i havent seen any setting for USB in it

How do you use live cd.. if you could give me some starters i would really appreciate that? Also by USB hub i meant externally powered such as from Belkin or Logitech...

Thanks again for your time...

Hi Jatinder,

After checking BIOS settings (although I doubt there will be any USB settings there) you might want to uninstall all USB hubs and ports from Windows Device Manager.

To do this Right Click on My Computer, Select Manage and in Computer Management select Device Manager.

In the USB section near the bottom you will have three or more entries for USB Hubs and similar USB items.

Uninstall all of them and then reboot the PC. Once Windows restarts then this should force the Plug and Play process to re-detect your USB hardware and rebuild the list of hubs and adapters.

This may fix the speed issue you reported.

Kind Regards

jaclaz

I'd like to point out that not all websites/spec sheets are entirely honest about USB ports. For example, they may use a USB 2.0 compatible host controller, but not actually be able to transfer at those speeds because of the rest of the hardware in the system. The shining example of this is the popular Asus EEE PC 701 (all models) where the specs say it has USB 2.0 (which it does have the apropriate host controller) but the BIOS and actual transfer speeds (not to mention the notifications in Windows) reveal it actually is only running as USB 1.1. I'm not sure why this happens but I've also seen it on other models, usually embedded platforms and notebooks.

Thanks all for your replies.... i really appreciate them.. :thumbup

.....To do this Right Click on My Computer, Select Manage and in Computer Management select Device Manager.

In the USB section near the bottom you will have three or more entries for USB Hubs and similar USB items.

Uninstall all of them and then reboot the PC. Once Windows restarts then this should force the Plug and Play process to re-detect your USB hardware and rebuild the list of hubs and adapters.

PsiMoon314 , i did reinstall all of my USB drivers but still i am getting popups that please connect the high speed device to another port..... i have tried on all three.... but with same result :(

jaclaz

I'd like to point out that not all websites/spec sheets are entirely honest about USB ports......

Tripredacus , i think you are absolutely right.... Can you suggest any alternative then????... As the laptop is still under extended warranty can i get them replaced....

will a pcmcia card help.... as there is slot for it ?????

Edited by jatinder

As far as transferring data, I am wondering if you are hitting that limit because you are using a 32bit OS...

As far as other possible methods of gaining USB 2.0 on a notebook, I'm not really in a position to recommend any other method.

Hi all,

This being my first post on this forum , so please accept my sincere aplogies if i have posted this in wrong forum.

Problem:

Yesterday i bought Seagate freeaget desktop 500 GB hard disk , but whenever i try to to use this drive with any of the three USB's i get this error that .....

please change port as the device you are trying to connect is of high speed USB and it will work in reduced mode if used in this.....

Now whenver i try to transfer huge amounts of data (say more then 3 GB) at one go it gives out BSOD..

"ntoskrnl.exe". I have checked thru three antivirus solutions: ESET , KIS and N360 and it's not the dreaded virus.

Please help me regarding this . As a workaround i am thinking of buying USB hub either of BELKIN or IOGEAR .... will this help???

Thank you in advance for helping me out. I am including the most recent memory and user dump file...

Regardless of whether a USB hub is powered or not it will not fix your problem. As someone already suggested, if anything it will make it worse (probably make no difference).

I think that you have a (laptop) hardware or (corrupted) driver problem. You shouldn't get BSODs no matter how big the file you're transferring is. Can you try your HDD on someones else's PC and see how it operates then? Also can you try another (similar) USB device on your PC? If you can do this test you may be able to confirm its on the laptop 100% (which it sounds like it is - still good to have evidence when you talk to Acer). After that I'd be getting it checked under your warranty. Probably best to confirm that it does actually have USB 1.1 just in case the BSOD isn't totally related?

A PCMCIA may or may not fix your problem. If you only have USB 1.1 ports then it will, but I still don't think the BSODs are good (and it may not solve them). I'm not familiar with laptops but most desktops have to have USB set to "HiSpeed" in BIOS for USB 2.0 to work - although by default I imagine it would already be set like that.

I'd like to point out that not all websites/spec sheets are entirely honest about USB ports. For example, they may use a USB 2.0 compatible host controller, but not actually be able to transfer at those speeds because of the rest of the hardware in the system. The shining example of this is the popular Asus EEE PC 701 (all models) where the specs say it has USB 2.0 (which it does have the apropriate host controller) but the BIOS and actual transfer speeds (not to mention the notifications in Windows) reveal it actually is only running as USB 1.1. I'm not sure why this happens but I've also seen it on other models, usually embedded platforms and notebooks.

Whilst I'm sure you have a point, and that may indeed be the case with this PC and perhaps some Eee PC models, I'm fairly sure the Eee PC I was playing with today was operating at USB 2.0 speeds. I copied 100MB of a USB stick onto the SSHD in well under 10 secs (possibly under 5 sec - I didn't time it, just reflecting after reading your comment). Surely that's USB 2.0 speed?

Hi all,

Problem:

Regardless of whether a USB hub is powered or not it will not fix your problem. As someone already suggested, if anything it will make it worse (probably make no difference).

I think that you have a (laptop) hardware or (corrupted) driver problem. You shouldn't get BSODs no matter how big the file you're transferring is. Can you try your HDD on someones else's PC and see how it operates then? Also can you try another (similar) USB device on your PC? If you can do this test you may be able to confirm its on the laptop 100% (which it sounds like it is - still good to have evidence when you talk to Acer). After that I'd be getting it checked under your warranty. Probably best to confirm that it does actually have USB 1.1 just in case the BSOD isn't totally related?

A PCMCIA may or may not fix your problem. If you only have USB 1.1 ports then it will, but I still don't think the BSODs are good (and it may not solve them). I'm not familiar with laptops but most desktops have to have USB set to "HiSpeed" in BIOS for USB 2.0 to work - although by default I imagine it would already be set like that.

Thanks JedMeister for your reply,

Now i have already tried the hard disk in question(Seagate freeagent) on another laptop running windows vista premium.....it had no problem on it.. i obtained a data transfer speed of more than 28mb/sec on it....

With respect to my laptop.. it is still under extended warranty... but what exactly is the error then only those buggers will have a look at it.. can you help me regarding that...

Can BIOS upgrade help.... as the laptop is almost 2 years old....

How exactly can you distinguish between USB1.1 and USB 2.0?... i mean is there any physical difference between them?

Thanks again

Hi all,

Problem:

Thanks JedMeister for your reply,

Now i have already tried the hard disk in question(Seagate freeagent) on another laptop running windows vista premium.....it had no problem on it.. i obtained a data transfer speed of more than 28mb/sec on it....

With respect to my laptop.. it is still under extended warranty... but what exactly is the error then only those buggers will have a look at it.. can you help me regarding that...

Can BIOS upgrade help.... as the laptop is almost 2 years old....

How exactly can you distinguish between USB1.1 and USB 2.0?... i mean is there any physical difference between them?

Thanks again

The only way you can tell is when you plug a device in, a box comes up saying that the device can perform faster... The port itself looks the same and even the entries in device manager can have the same names between 1.1 and 2.0. At least with 1.0, the device names were different.

USB 1.1 is often referred to as "Full-speed USB" and USB 2.0 referred to as "Hi-speed USB" (a little confusing I know).

From Wikipedia:

During the design phase of USB 2.0, the USB-IF insisted on only one implementation. The USB 2.0 HCD implementation is called the Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI). Only EHCI can support hi-speed transfers. Most of PCI-based EHCI controllers contain other HCD implementations called 'companion host controller' to support Full Speed and Low Speed devices. The virtual HCD on Intel and VIA EHCI controllers are UHCI. All other vendors use virtual OHCI controllers.

Here's my Device Manger with the "Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI)" (USB 2.0) highlighted (in light blue). Note that on my board, Hi-speed USB (2.0) is called "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" and my Full-speed USB (1.1) is called "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller".

post-104315-1213083185_thumb.jpg

As Tripredacus said there is no physical difference when you look at them, looking in device manager is the only way (and plugging something in as Tripredacus also mentioned). I think its worth contacting Acer support to confirm that your hardware supports USB 2.0. I would be surprised if it didn't but you never know. Acer should be able to advise you where you find the USB 2.0 options in BIOS too (or maybe even google?) A BIOS update may help but I'd contact Acer first myself. You've paid for extra warranty so might as well use it!

I think you need to find out more about your BSOD too. The fact that is happening suggests to me its something deeper than a simple case of no USB 2.0 support (ie actually something wrong). Enable a full error dump and turn off auto restarts on BSOD (so you can write down the full STOP code). Then try to make it do it and when it does it, upload your dump here and try to attract the assistance of some of the hardcore tech heads (error dump analysis is way out of my league!)

Thanks to all for their support.... :thumbup :thumbup

After going through other forums on MSFN i think i found the root cause of problem SIS 7001 USB controller.. I have attached a report i genrated using Everest.. What is strange is :

[ On-Board Devices / SiS 7001 OHCI USB Chip ]

On-Board Device Properties:

Description SiS 7001 OHCI USB Chip

Status Disabled

[ On-Board Devices / SiS 7002 OHCI USB Chip ]

On-Board Device Properties:

Description SiS 7002 OHCI USB Chip

Status Disabled

All these devices are shown disabled.. i don't know why?,,,, I have reinstalled all the USB drivers sevral times but to no avail.

As for BIOS is concerned i will contact ACER ... in the meantime if you could have a look at the attachment it has the motherboard details in it...if you could suggest an alternative

Also BSOD haven't happened as such since last 2 days and i have been using the HD in question regularly.

In end will reformatting my windows help....

Thanks again

F__Report.pdf

Edited by jatinder

Personally I think Everest has got it wrong. Have a look in Device Manger and see what it says there (easiest way is right click My Computer > Properties > Manage > Device manager (in left hand frame, under System Tools - if you don't see it click on System Tools). Expand USB controllers and make sure there aren't any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses.

After a quick google it seems likely that you do have USB 2.0 (SiS 7001 = USB 1.1, SiS 7002 = USB 2.0). However it also seems that the USB 2.0 implementation by SiS is somewhat problematic. I'm not completely clear whether this is actually the same problem you have but certainly worth a read about. USB man has some interesting reading here. Apparently MS have released a hotfix but it is only available if you contact them direct.

I think you should be in contact with Acer support re this whole problem (not just BIOS), as I said already, you've paid for extra warranty might as well get your value for money. Its possible that this is a known issue and they could help you quickly and easily.

I think you should be in contact with Acer support re this whole problem (not just BIOS), as I said already, you've paid for extra warranty might as well get your value for money. Its possible that this is a known issue and they could help you quickly and easily.

Thanks Jedmeister for all your replies.

I will get in touch with acer guys and will update this thread in a day or two as i am little tied up with work...

Thanks again

No worries jatinder. Hope I've been of some help. I must admit that after reading back through this, I have overlooked a lot of what you have said and I hope I haven't frustrated you. A couple of things in particular that I missed:

In your first post you've already supplied dumps, doh!!

.....Now whenver i try to transfer huge amounts of data (say more then 3 GB) at one go it gives out BSOD..

And in this post you identified that you indeed do have USB 2.0 ports (by identifying them in device manager) Doh again!:

....I checked thru device manager found these drivers for USB:

SIS TO PCI converter

Enhanced USB driver. and few others .... (if you want i can upload its screenshot)

How do you use live cd.. if you could give me some starters i would really appreciate that?....

As for live CD try something like Ubuntu (read up and download here) If it works ok within that (don't worry the OS will run a little slow as it is running off CD and RAM and not of HDD - should be able to see if USB is working ok though). If that works it seems like XP prob, if that doesn't work then hardware.

I'd still contact Acer though.