What options give me the standard install?

MadnessRed

ok, heres my story which should explain some things to you as to why I am doing this.

I have an emachines computer which for those of you who don't know has the most stripped down version of windows you have ever seen, the most major set back for me is the lack of partitions which is really annoying as I use Linux too.

I have XP home. I have slip streamed, SP3, IE8, WMP11 and a load of addons from a site. (such as 7zip) anyway using nLite and WMP11 slipstreamer and have a DX10 install waiting to install with the first run.

I want my install to be basically the same as the windows standard install and I wan the repair option to be available.

Which option should I select?

I have an emachines computer which for those of you who don't know has the most stripped down version of windows you have ever seen, the most major set back for me is the lack of partitions which is really annoying as I use Linux too.

Hum... Welcome to the forum ! B)

For the partitions, can you not just ...make them instead of reinstalling the whole machine ?

+ For the rest of your post, it is really not clear what the difference is between what you have and what you'd want to have. Basically, if you don't use any nLite option, you end up with a "standard" installation.

the most major set back for me is the lack of partitions which is really annoying as I use Linux too.

Just for the record, you could use WUBI allright:

http://wubi-installer.org/

You keep Windows as it is, Wubi only adds an extra option to boot into Ubuntu. Wubi does not require you to modify the partitions of your PC, or to use a different bootloader, and does not install special drivers. It works just like any other application. Wubi is spyware and malware free, and being open source, anyone can verify that.

The ubuntu is installed within a virtual disk file, with only minor drawbacks:

http://wubi-installer.org/faq.php

What is the performance?

The performance is identical to a standard installation, except for hard-disk access which is slightly slower than an installation to a dedicated partition. If your hard disk is very fragmented the performance will degenerate.

Any gotcha?

Hibernation is not supported under Wubi, moreover Wubi filesystem is more vulnerable to hard-reboots (turning off the power) and power outages than a normal filesystem, so try to avoid unplugging the power. An Ubuntu installation to a dedicated partition provides a filesystem that is more robust and can better tolerate such events.

How does Wubi work?

Wubi adds an entry to the Windows boot menu which allows you to run Linux. Ubuntu is installed within a file in the Windows file system (c:\ubuntu\disks\root.disk), this file is seen by Linux as a real hard disk.

Is this running Ubuntu within a virtual environment or something similar?

No. This is a real installation, the only difference is that Ubuntu is installed within a file as opposed to being installed within its own partition. Thus we spare you the trouble of creating a free partition for Ubuntu. And we spare you the trouble to have of having to burn a CD-Rom.

jaclaz

I have XP home. I have slip streamed, SP3, IE8, WMP11 and a load of addons from a site. (such as 7zip) anyway using nLite and WMP11 slipstreamer and have a DX10 install waiting to install with the first run.

Sounds bloated =)

DX10 install = Bad myth it will only mess your system up and can only be found on warez sites.

I agree. Microsoft has never released DX10 for XP, and it's pretty likely that they never will.

If you find DX10 for XP on the internet, it will most likely be not worth the time it took/takes to download it.

Edited by Witt3439