Component cache (WinSxs) removal not working properly

Petrarca

I've been trying out the Component cache (WinSxs) removal, but it is not working properly.

After install, I still have a WinSxs folder which is half a gigabyte, containing roughly 18k files :blink:

Now while this is much smaller than the size of the folder without using the removal, it makes me wonder why there is that much left?

That portion is automatically saved depending on what vlite detects as hotfixes or parts of sp1 probably.

Also there are some runtimes that must not be deleted from sxs.

The winsxs folder is similar to the i386 folder in XP. It contains drivers and other files necessary to make Windows run properly.

It is possible to delete files and folders from it, but it is one of those "If you don't know what you are doing, leave it alone!" folders.

• 4 months later...

i386 is a folder in Windows XP that can safely be deleted... it's just a copy of the Setup files.

I'm in the same boat here... I did a super-lightweight Vista install - specifically for Folding@Home GPU processing (users claim that running Vista solves the 100% CPU problem and massively improves performance). It seems that even vLite's best efforts can't wrangle in the runaway, obscene bloat of Vista. I told vLite to ditch the "winsxs" folder, and yet, it was the source of a "Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3" reboot loop on the first startup (300kb pending.xml in the WinSxS folder that I was surprised to even find).

My WinSxS folder is about the size of a full blown Windows XP installation - 11,000 files and 418mb. What the heck gives? With all the junctions running amok in Vista, are those files really there; are they the originals and there are other files on the hard drive that are merely "mirrors" of them, or is it really just a waste of space?

• 2 weeks later...