I want to learn programming

Hi everyone,

Recently i realized that knowing how to program is a great thing and i was hoping it is time for me to learn a programming language.

But i am not sure where to start , i mean which programming language should i learn first, what programs do i need , are there any online tutorials?

Please suggest me cause i am seriously naive about programming languages.

Hi everyone,

Recently i realized that knowing how to program is a great thing and i was hoping it is time for me to learn a programming language.

But i am not sure where to start , i mean which programming language should i learn first, what programs do i need , are there any online tutorials?

Please suggest me cause i am seriously naive about programming languages.

bro just google around for tutorials, then you will have a clue on what language you want to learn. it all depends on which language you want to learn and which will benefit you, coz theres quite few out there and its not easy to learn all or remember all.

Maybe the first question to be answering is what you are looking to do that you want to learn to program? Programming languages are a lot like tools (one lesson most don't get in the programming world, but I digress). Some tools do certain jobs better than others.

What is it that interests you that you are wanting to learn to program in the first place? Perhaps the decision of what to get into will be better found by answering that question and finding the right tool to do that particular job?

Which programming language depends on what you intend to do with it.

Web, general-purpose, interaction with windows (not Windows), scripting.

As a general introduction, AutoHotKey/AutoIt are nice. They're quite simple but forget about them for number crunching.

To tell the truth I tried to learn HTML few years ago but lost interest after a few months. But now i am really interested in learning a programming language like C++.

As you are the programming gurus, i want to know from you which would be the best language to learn for a beginner, because i don't know which one is easier.

About the tutorial, is that i don't have any problem getting a book and i think i will find a lots of tutorial after you tell me which language i should learn.

Don't begin with C++. There are a lot of better full-fledged programming languages to start with.

C is not that bad for a beginner as it's quite close to the machine and therefore teaches how programming works quite well.

In this respect, asm is nice too.

It's a matter of personnal preference but you should avoid Python, Perl and such dynamically typed languages until you have a real sense of the different data structures (floats, ints, chars, strings, arrays, lists, hashtables, everything).

And if you have a mathematical background you should definitely take a look at the functionnal programmin languages : ocaml, f#, haskell (and lisp but bahh, I hate lisp !). You don't need to have studied mathematics to use them but when you have, you already know these languages in fact. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth; VB .NET is really easy to get started with and the .NET 3.5 framework has so many classes you can do just about anything you can think of. Best of all visual studio 2008 (express edition) is free from microsoft! :)

Thanks

Edited by eyeball