UXTheme.dll

Blackwar

UXTheme is a patch from TGTsoft that allows the use of non-digitally-signed themes.

You can get it from www.tgtsoft.com/downloads/uxthemepatcher.zip

The instructions that are included are very hard to understand and they made it that way to encourage you to buy their lame product Styles XP..

Here i will try to explain how to patch it in a friendlier way for the newbies so they can use themes...

1.first of all u open a My computer window then click on Tools then Folder Options, then you click on the >View< tab. Then u check the circle next to show all files. After you did that, You want to uncheck the check box next to >Hide Protected Operating System Files<

2.After you have done that, you want to extract that file you got from the site i posted above using winzip/winrar. After that you want to execute the file that comes extracted out of the .zip file. Just say you agree and stuff to all those warnings.

3. Assuming your default Windows folder is c:Windows, you go to C:Windowssystem32dllcache and find the file called uxtheme.dll in there, then right click on it and select rename, then rename it to uxtheme.bak. You will get two warnings from windows file protection..>>Do not worry.. nothing will happen to your system and do not insert ur windows XP cd when it asks u to<< After you have done that lets go back to C:Windowssystem32 and find the file called uxtheme.dll and rename it to uxtheme.bak the way u did last time. In this section, lastly, find the file called >>Uxtheme.PAT<< and rename it to UXtheme.dll and then do a full reboot of your system.. Now you should be able to run themes flawlessly.. If you have any problems, feel free to post here and i can help you out..

BLACKWAR

stylexp or (hacked uxtheme.dll) basically allow users to use themes created by third party (non-microsoft) using the theme engine created by microsoft. (the theme engine is a little buggy but you don't notice it that much, that was one of the main reasons we didn't get that many themes + the whole thing being on a time limit)

Anyhow, to apply the theme you will most probably be changing it from the display cpl.

After you have stylexp/uxtheme.dll installed. Then you will need to grab a theme. install it in the themes direcotory of the resources directory of windows folder.

Then you can use the display cpl and change it from there.

StyleXP latest version 7.0 now supports the change of logon screen, change themes, etc... instead of using the disply cpl...

The main reason the "oldies" poeple who have been using it since the very early betas hate it.. is because tgtsoft promised to keep it free.. but then changed thier mind and are providing as shareware.

If you want to use those themes.. you can either use the tutorial i wrote or blackwar's ..

both work fine .. I've tried both on various systems...

I meant, what's the difference in appearance? In other words, what does applying a theme change that manually configuring display settings (and saving as a theme) does not?

Also:

you can either use the tutorial i wrote

Where's it posted? I got an invalid link msg when I used the 2020 link.

is there any possible way to clarify that piaqt?

I'm not entirely sure I understand you. (i thought i did)

when you mean theme, are you talking about .msstyles themes? are you talking about 9x themes? windowsblinds themes? which theme engine ? (9x, xp, new one develeped by stardock, etc..?)

or you just meant applying a theme from the stylexp menu vs the display menu?

when you configure your computer using the appearance tab (by changing the colors) isn't as powerful as applying a msstyles theme (stylexp method) Because they changed the bitmaps of the interface as well.. example instead of making xp use the bubble(ish) style ionterface it can use flat style, etc...

instead of me guessing, is there a chance of posting a screenshot please? I might get a better idea...

first i want to say sorry to babis cuz of posting a thread similar to his.. i didn't mean to replace urs or anything but when i saw the stupid tutorial that they gave when u dloaded the file, i just couldnt take it and i had to post one :)

and to piaqt..

if you use msstyles themes, you can get results like this

http://blackwar1.netfirms.com/desktop2.JPG

Check out www.themexp.org and ull see what i mean..

if you dont apply this patch, then you cant use the themes..

The reason for this is because microsoft wants to be the main source for everything including themes ...

BLACKWAR

or... it could be pretty.. like mine!!

note: winamp is playing britney spears.. just for blackwar hehe

sweet a** desktop man

and btw i love that song ur playing

one of my favorites :)

oh yeah and how do u make winamp go to the corner like that?

it's winamp 3 beta. using a skin called corneramp.

btw, i'm gonna edit your last message.. i'm gonna remove the image link to help out our 56k friends a little bit :)

lol im 56k too

sux a**

and btw , if they dload a picture once, they wont dl it again, the browser wont redownload it... am i wrong?

blackwar it's fine.. the method i used was to boot into safe mode, w/o having the wfp ask you anything. i think we can have both methods on the forum.. ;-) ..

besides your method is geared towards the patch from tgtsoft.. mine was just a patch some person figured out the same values that tgtsoft did and distributed the file around... [which is pretty much the same]

Anyhow in the chaninja theme you are using, did you mean to leave the square box on the start menu (left corner)?

if I'm not mistaken the theme also has a cooperate edition in the appearance tab that basically cuts off that box...