I need few informations

NaZz68

Ok. Im trying to remove as much things as possible, but ofcourse, I am being careful. So, I would need to ask you couple of questions regarding things I would like to remove but I am not so sure...

Should I remove these things :

Here goes nothing :

1. Do I need AGP Filters? I have PCIE graphic card if that helps anything...

2. Modem support & Dial up Connections and VPN - I dont have any analog dialing modems, only cable modem which is always on - username/password not needed or any kind of login.

3. Firewire network support & Firewire 1394 support - I am on a LAN network and I am connected via normal ETHERNET cable.

4. Teletex codec - What on earth is that? :P

5. ActiveX for streaming video - that just enables watching streaming videos? - I'll keep that I think.

6. If I remove all backgrounds, default themes etc. - How will XP look like and will it work?

7. Windows media player & Windows media player 6.4 - Can I remove them both if I have 11 series downloaded on my USB and I would like to install it later? (Im not integrating anything in install)

8. Movie maker - Can it work without default media players?

Thats all for now. I think Ill need more help with network and OS support so stay tuned! :thumbup

Thanks in advance guys/girls! :hello:

You can the most of your question find out by installing in a VM! :)

1.remove

2.not sure - better to keep

3.remove

4. remove (its for tv)

5. dont remove if you use IE

6. classic like win9x

7. if you dont slipstream wmp10 or 11 you can remove

8. movi maker needs the codecs from wmp, if you install wmp11 after xp setup its ok.

Thank you danker!

I have removed both Windows Media Players since I plan to install WMP11 AFTER I'll install windows.

I have also removed AGP Filters and Teletext codec.

Danker is not sure for the #2 and I'm still not sure if I will need to use #3 on my windows :

2. Modem support & Dial up and VPN support - I dont have any analog dialing modems, only cable modem which is always on - username/password not needed or any kind of login.

3. Firewire network support & Firewire 1394 support - Is that used for connecting my digital camera's, mp3 player's etc. with that little cable for transfering files from/to my computer?

Here goes a new list. Is it safe to remove these? :

Active directory services - I'm not completely sure what it's used for and what would I need it for but it smells fishy.

IP Conferencing - I have no Idea what's that about.

MAC Bridge - I am on a LAN network and I'm not using any bridges, but im still afraid that im gonna mess something up if is remove this.

MSmail and MAPI - The description in NLITE is quite confusing for me. Its needed for different email applications to work together? I only use one. Its also needed for Windows Live messenger?

Vector Graphic Rendering (VML) - I guess IE uses this and Its best to keep it?

TCP/IP version 6 - Best to keep it, right?

Internet Connection Wizard, Network Connection Wizard - Will i mess something up if I remove these?

Outlook Express - Same question as the last one ^

Could you maybe explain why are they safe to remove and tell me a little more about things I dont know much about? (for example Active directory services, MSmail and MAPI etc.)

OK...

Don't remove Active Directory if you ever plan to connect to a Domain (roughly, a network where one (or several) computer is the server and bosses around the others). Usually found at your office. If removed, may also hurt VPN.

MSMail and Mapi removed may hurt Outlook Express and Outlook (obviously), but also Send To Desktop functionality, Save as Web Page (complete) in Internet Explorer (and you won't be able to open those .mht files) and maybe something else. I'd say, dont remove.

IP conferencing is used by NetMeeting (the windows component) and maybe other (simple) messengers. Full blown messengers use their own protocols and would not be hurt by it. (except maybe MSN Messenger, but I doubt it).

MAC bridge - used if you ever wish to use two network (or internet) connections as one (doubles the speed). If you're sure you won't ever need it, remove it.

VML is used by IE, but rarely. I remove it for years, and never seen a problem (but I use other browsers more). I'm not sure if it's the same thing as SVG, but that's also used rarely in the real world. The only problem with it would be if some program specifically looks for it (and I don't know any).

TCP/IP V6 - not necessarily best to keep if you don't plan to use this build for many years - It's a standard that hasn't took off on the Internet yet, and Vista uses it - if you need to network with it - but *I think* it will fall back to V4 if necessarry.

Connection wizards - remove if you know how to set up a connection (New connection menu item in Network Connections folder is not removed). Maybe needed for some sorts of dialup or VPN connections, but I haven't used those, so I wouldn't know.

Outlook express - same as Msmail and Mapi. :)

GL

• 2 weeks later...

I know this might be a stupid question but I have never needed to install SATA/RAID drivers. It always worked perfectly fine, so I don't know much about this stuff.

I just wanted to ask - If I will remove SCSI/RAID drivers with nlite from windows installation, would I need to add some new SATA/RAID drivers to NLite installation???

Or?

I know this might be a stupid question but I have never needed to install SATA/RAID drivers. It always worked perfectly fine, so I don't know much about this stuff.

I just wanted to ask - If I will remove SCSI/RAID drivers with nlite from windows installation, would I need to add some new SATA/RAID drivers to NLite installation???

Or?

Depends if you have SATA/SCSI hardware in the computer. If yes - drivers are needed (windows will look for them). If you don't add your drivers, probably won't boot.

GL

Pozdrav

I have tried with Virtual PC and everything works fine even if I removed SCSI/RAID driver and HAVEN'T installed my own drivers. Can I completely rely on Virtual PC?

Thanks

Hvala :P

I'm working on a fresh x64 cd. I'm curious about what the MSMQ why it is in red.

MSMQ is optional components as far as XP cd goes, and i cant think of anything it could be needed for except in .net frameworks.

Tho i searched msn forums i didnt get any information on it.

ere goes nothing :

1. Do I need AGP Filters? I have PCIE graphic card if that helps anything...

You dont need it then

2. Modem support & Dial up Connections and VPN - I dont have any analog dialing modems, only cable modem which is always on - username/password not needed or any kind of login.

If you use an ADSL modem which you have configured with username and password, or something like this you dont need it.

It is needed for if you are using windows itself to connect to internet. Does this make sense? Because it is exactly like that.

3. Firewire network support & Firewire 1394 support - I am on a LAN network and I am connected via normal ETHERNET cable.

I dont even remove firewire, tho i rarely use it, but it is ok to have if some buddy comes along with a video camera and needs to extract video f.ex. If you will never do something like that, remove it.

4. Teletex codec - What on earth is that? tongue.gif

Havent really got a clue. Says needed for camers. Perhaps it is a codec for interpreteing the texting on movies, who knows...

5. ActiveX for streaming video - that just enables watching streaming videos? - I'll keep that I think.

I always remove this, streaming works just fine. ActiveX is in itself a bad idea.

6. If I remove all backgrounds, default themes etc. - How will XP look like and will it work?

Much better presumably if you use your own themes, backgrounds. Remove it, and customize xp as you see fit.

Removing default Luna theme can cause some weird visual issues, but everything is a-ok here on xp x64bit with vista theme etc.

7. Windows media player & Windows media player 6.4 - Can I remove them both if I have 11 series downloaded on my USB and I would like to

install it later? (Im not integrating anything in install)

No you can not. Tho you can do it vice versa, install wmp11 then remove old crap afterwards.

FYI WMP12 is en-route.

8. Movie maker - Can it work without default media players?

Have never used this piece of crap. I suggest you use much better video editors, that are totally freeware. GWS.

Or?

Most if not all newer boards at least support a so called IDE mode for sata drives.

I have tried running with SATA AHCI mode enabled here, and personally i dont get any benefit from it, its more headache then its worth.

If i f.example start Acronis TrueImage from CD and it tries to find harddrives, it wont find any harddrives under AHCI mode because it doesnt have the drivers for it. Can be fixed but who bothers with that anyway.

If you only have ide/sata drives, remove scsi/raid.

Ok. So I have finished my version and I am testing it in VirtualPC. The most biggest problem is that I cannot install drivers for any device cause they are all called "Unkown device" in the device manager list. And I have 8 of them so I cannot recgognize which is which. I have few drivers that I need to install via Windows ("choose the location of the driver"). Where have I gone wrong? :(

BTW. Also when i try to install drivers via .exe(setup file). It says that either my computer doesen't have the requirements to install the driver (for example chipset driver) or the setup says that it cannot locate any drivers that are compatible with my computer hardware (for example- nvidia drivers).

Edited by NaZz68