Vista Home Premium on Celeron 430 + 1gb

KevinR

My brother in law just got tempted by an Acer machine running vista home premium.

Sadly this only has a Celeron 430 (1.8MGhz) and 1gb DDR2.

Am I correct in thinking that this is going to suck quite a lot. Should he take it back...?!!?

My brother in law just got tempted by an Acer machine running vista home premium.

Sadly this only has a Celeron 430 (1.8MGhz) and 1gb DDR2.

Am I correct in thinking that this is going to suck quite a lot. Should he take it back...?!!?

i would take it back, he is not going to have a very good experience with it and probably will not well everything he needs (unless he plans on surfing the web and that is it, even then i would bet it would be terribly slow).

C´mon guys, it´s not that bad, just take the 2x 512MB out and put in 2x 1GB, but he will be better off taking the chipset with x3100, that will have also 2GHz Celeron. Remember that the Celeron is just the single cored version of the E2xxx series, and thus Core2 based.

what model is the Acer computer, KevinR?
Its an Acer Aspire M1610. There are many models. It seems to be the third one = lowest hardware specification + Vista HP. The other loadstone will presumably be the onboard graphics. :whistle:

They did seem to get a good price - £299 including a 19" LCD. Pricing something similar on ebuyer/microdirect etc in a no-name brand base-unit plus a cheap screen came to £345-360 plus delivery.

If they really want the new machine I shall probably recommend spending £26 on 2Gb DDR2 from crucial if it works too slowly and sell on their 1Gb (although its only worth about £13 new!). [ aside: amazed how disposable DDR2 now is - DDR1 is getting expensive ]. They only really use email and browser.

They could have probably got away with a memory upgrade on their old Win-ME PC. No-one ever asks first. :}

• 2 weeks later...