spam software for exchange 2003

AO3

Does anyone have antispam produtes for exchange 2003. I need to see what is out there. But I wanted to get some insight from you all about what works, good, bad, etc... I have used Ninja "I hate Spam" by Sunbelt, and ORF by Vamsoft. Clients are using outllok 2003, OWA, and blackberries.

I have a lot of experience with GFI mail essentials and a little experience with Sophos Puremessage. Both are good but im biased towards GFI. Howver that being said it really does work! The Bayesian filter learns from inbound and outbound mail whats ham and whats spam and eventually only junk ends up in your junk mail folder (outlook 2k3 and above) and only good stuff ends up in your inbox.

Anyway GFI gets my vote :)

Hmmm we don't use server side anti-span protection here... we've got some hardware device that acts as a mail-filter/mail-exchanger before the messages get delivered to the exchange server.

Could you share with us what the hardware devices are?

Secure Computing's IronMail email gateway and Barracuda's SpamFirewall are two I'm familiar with (although I've only seen the IronMail product in use, not the SpamFirewall). The barracuda product isn't expensive, but IronMail is definitely priced for larger companies.

Note that the Barracuda product is basically running an MTA + commercial email filtering software, and can be replicated to a great degree with Sendmail(or insert your favorite MTA here)+spamassassin+mimedefang+clamav. Howwever, the Barracuda has a nice web front-end that's definitely easier than the Linux CLI or webmin :). If you've got the dough, the IronMail product is really incredibly effective too, honestly.

Secure Computing's IronMail email gateway and Barracuda's SpamFirewall are two I'm familiar with (although I've only seen the IronMail product in use, not the SpamFirewall). The barracuda product isn't expensive, but IronMail is definitely priced for larger companies.

Note that the Barracuda product is basically running an MTA + commercial email filtering software, and can be replicated to a great degree with Sendmail(or insert your favorite MTA here)+spamassassin+mimedefang+clamav. Howwever, the Barracuda has a nice web front-end that's definitely easier than the Linux CLI or webmin :). If you've got the dough, the IronMail product is really incredibly effective too, honestly.

Thanks Cluberti, Its the Barracuda that we use. I was trying to remember it earlier but kept getting it confused (in my head) with a device I had used at a previous job... Which was the ADC Cuda 1000 CTMS. :ph34r:

I haven't used this personally but Untangle is supposed to be pretty good as well. It does a whole host of things but you can select to only use certain features (such as the spam blocking).

Best of all...it's free if you have an existing box to install it on. I found it when I was looking for a WebFilter to put on my home network (I have kids...neither of which are old enough to worry about yet, but I'm trying to get a jump on things). Currently I'm using K9 Web Protection but that has to be installed on each PC...I want to centralize it and force their domain accounts to use it (but not mine, of course).

I haven't used this personally but Untangle is supposed to be pretty good as well. It does a whole host of things but you can select to only use certain features (such as the spam blocking).

Best of all...it's free if you have an existing box to install it on. I found it when I was looking for a WebFilter to put on my home network (I have kids...neither of which are old enough to worry about yet, but I'm trying to get a jump on things). Currently I'm using K9 Web Protection but that has to be installed on each PC...I want to centralize it and force their domain accounts to use it (but not mine, of course).

That looks pretty interesting, indeed. Gotta try untangle out in a VM soon.

IIRC I had problems getting it to complete an install in Virtual PC 2004 and 2007. I haven't tried Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 yet. I'd also be interested in whether or not it runs under Hyper-V since I intend in making heavy usage of that on my home network (WSUS, IIS testing, maybe a little WDS testing as well, etc, etc).

It'll be a Hyper-V environment, I'll let you know how it goes. It won't replace my ISA 2006 box, but I always like to try out new software packages, especially really well-thought-out ones like this.

Cool...I appreciate that. :)

I've thought about using ISA Server as well but I haven't had time to test it either. Honestly, I'm holding off on Server 2008 on my home server until I upgrade it (no 64-bit capability right now). Those upgrades are (8GB) coming soon though.

Honestly, I'd recommend a Tyan board with Opterons if you're gonna run Hyper-V, but that would still be a nice rig.

I'm not going to be leaning on it that hard. All my other systems are Intel LGA775 based anyway so I can interchange CPUs if necessary (also, old parts from upgrading my main PC get rolled down to the other machines, or used to build new ones). I'm still torn on whether or not to put the Q9300 in my machine or in the server (my machine currently has a Core 2 Extreme X6800). One thing is for sure, either way it'll be better than the Dual 3.06GHz Xeon rig I have right now. :)

Intel just did some price drops as well so I may have other options within what I'm willing to spend for the upgrades.

The rest of the system will be:

2 x 250GB Seagate 7200.10 RAID1 - OS

4 x 400GB Seagate 7200.10 RAID5 - Data (files and VHDs)

4 x Misc Drives - Data

2 x 3ware 9550SX-4LP (upgrade to a single 8/12/16-port PCIe controller later)

1 x WD 500GB My Book Home Edition connected via eSATA

1 x WD 250GB Media Drive connected via either USB or FW400 (FW if the drive supports it)

Edited by nmX.Memnoch