I cant shut down my computer

u2kforever

Maybe it has something to do with My BFG Geforce 6200 256MB OC card, or maybe its the 81.89 drivers, either way i cant shut it down. So i just shut it down manual. If its the drivers, well i cant get around that, because the 81.69 is the only driver that works correctly with this card. I actually believe it has something to do with my Video card, because i wasn't having this problem when using my Geforce 5500 card.

Any options?

Its this kind of problem that makes me nostalgic for the 'good ol days' when the off button actually turned the power off instead of asking the computer nicely if it would mind shutting down like it does now :)

if it does it every time you try to shutdown and you still have the old 5500 card you could switch back just to see if its related to the 6200 card.

When I had nVidia 6200 the computer also would not shut down. Problem disappeared after upgrading to ATi Radeon.

Good power supplies have the magic button!

When I had nVidia 6200 the computer also would not shut down. Problem disappeared after upgrading to ATi Radeon.

Good power supplies have the magic button!

LOL the 6200 256MB OC Geforce card is the last card for PCI slots that is the best, unless i can find and buy the 8500GT, which is not likely. So i guess i just have to deal with it. It seems to be the card tho

• 7 months later...

Hi, :hello:

I've got a MSI card with a nvidia 6200 GPU and 256 MB of graphic memory. On the box, it's write that the card need Windows 2000, XP or VISTA. In fact, MSI provide only the driver for these OS.

So, like I've a multi boot system with an old win98SE, I try the card under Win98SE with the nvidia 81.69 driver. The result was the same than for u2kforever. The PC still on a black screen and the shutdown was not completed.

I've tried many settings without any success :realmad: , until I change the driver !!!

Yes, with the old driver 77.72, all is correct. :thumbup

My config :

motherboard ASUS A8V deluxe, 1Go Ram

Athlon64 3200 venice

ACPI activated (in BIOS and in Windows98)

Fast Shutdown disable (if not, any shutdown do a reboot, with any GPU I'd tried. see below)

Bye

Instructions to disable Fast Shutdown

1. Click the "Start" menu, choosing "Programs," "Accessories," "System Tools," and then "System Information."

2. On the window that appears, click the "Tools" menu, selecting "System Configuration Utility."

3. On the multi-tabbed dialog box that appears, select the "General Tab," and then click the "Advanced..." button.

4. On the dialog box that appears, check "Disable fast shutdown."

5. Click OK to close the dialog box.

Edited by alfredo63

I've tried many settings without any success :realmad: , until I change the driver !!!

Yes, with the old driver 77.72, all is correct. :thumbup

It's the 81.89 driver, get rid of it. v77.72 should work fine for you. The last version of many programs is often an unfinished piece of junk, full of bugs which nobody cared to fix anymore. If you combine such a last version with hardware which was not designed for/tested with Win98, you usually get nowhere:
I have not heard of anyone who could ... use a 512MB video card under Win98 yet though.
This is a bad new. Are there 8800GT with 256M? I saw min 320MB if I remember. Maybe 8600 would have 256M but it's much more poor chip than 8800.

well when i did a clean install of windows me it wouldent turn off too

but then i went to ms config and then went to enviroment and turned every thing off and it fixed it

but back then i had nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 se pci 64 mb with the 41.31 drivers i think

not sure if win 98 has that enviroment varialbes thing but

I am u2kforever btw, just lost my password and its under a yahoo account which i don't have access anymore.

Anyways, the 77.72 drivers are good, but i have video problems, so i am using the 82.16 and i still have the shutdown problem.

However

When you see the black screen, and that flashing sign, just click any button on the keyboard and it will save a windows error as occured, but then it will shut your computer down. Once your computer is shut down, turning it back on will not give you the blue scanning screen for errors, thus its a work around issue. :)

Edited by T.N.G.O.G.

It takes a while for a video to start up , so sometimes i have to hit play again for it to start. 82.16 doesn't seem to have this issue. But then again, there is no stable driver for the 6200, because the 6200 line of cards are not supported by Win9x.