XP SP3 removed Address Bar on desktop

ZeDMaN

Hi guys,

"After installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta, the Address Bar feature will be removed from the Taskbar

The Address Bar feature will not be present in Windows XP Service Pack 3. This change is in response to a regulatory request and is present beginning with Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta.

Please, can anyone tell me how to return it permanently?? Is there a registry hack or something?? I use this feature every time on XP. :no: If it's a Regulatory request, why didn't they remove it in Vista also?? :realmad:

Thx!

When they say "removed", they mean "removed".

They even removed the Internet Explorer desktop icon setting. I guess it is an attempt to make IE look less integrated into Windows. The only hack is to open a hex editor and starting entering 0s and 1s into an address bar.

When they say "removed", they mean "removed".

They even removed the Internet Explorer desktop icon setting. I guess it is an attempt to make IE look less integrated into Windows. The only hack is to open a hex editor and starting entering 0s and 1s into an address bar.

So is it impossible or difficult to bring back the address bar then??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If have slipstream Service Pack 3 into my SP0 CD and the Address Bar is not removed.

Isn't SP1 or SP2 a prerequisite to slipstream SP3?? I think MS said that SP0 is no more supported and that it is not possible to slipstream SP3 without these prerequisites first!

TechNet posts

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...8&SiteID=17

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...4&SiteID=17

suggest a simple soln of replacing browseui.dll from non-sp3 s/m or sp2 s/m

i personally ddnt tried it, as i dont use that.

Thx Innocent Devil :) , will try that solution as soon as SP3 hit RTM.

Address bar is still on my machine, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.

Did you right-click on the toolbar to see if it is unchecked?

I'm running XP SP3, IE6.

I upgraded from SP2.

Service packs are cumulative - slipstreaming SP3 over RTM should work just fine.

...Users will be able to integrate SP3 on top of Windows XP SP1 or Windows XP SP2 with absolutely no problems. However, they will not be able to do the same with XP RTM. This because support for XP RTM has been retired for quite a while. Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 0 (RTM) and Windows XP Professional Service Pack 0 (RTM) are no longer supported since 30-August-2004. With support retired for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 Service Pack 0 (RTM) one year later, on 30-August-2005...

Source:http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-XP-SP3-Does-Not-Support-Windows-XP-76472.shtml

cluberti have you tried slipstreaming SP3 to an SP0 OR RTM XP disc??

Address bar is still on my machine, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer.

Did you right-click on the toolbar to see if it is unchecked?

I'm running XP SP3, IE6.

I upgraded from SP2.

I am talking about the taskbar on the desktop. Right click on the taskbar > Toolbars> Notice that the Address option has been removed in SP3.

Yes. The betas and RCs have worked just fine. I don't know if the RTM will do so, but I can't imagine it wouldn't. I guess we'll have to see ;).

this thread and program creator is great, thanks for the work

copied from his website i made 3 points

1. sp3 stinks for removing that address bar i rely on it

2. how do you keep MuvEnum Address Bar: in place and always on when restarting computer? cuz when i do it dissappears then i gotta renable it, unlock taskbar move it around the relock. thanks

3. thanks

I went and did some digging, and the SP1 or SP2 requirement is for INSTALLING on a running system, not slipstreaming. That's why I can seem to slipstream it - because Service Packs are cumulative, and yes, unless they change RC2 before RTM to disallow it, you can indeed slipstream SP3 into an RTM source.

I have use a gold source for all of the SP3 releases upto date and yes you guys are right! While slipstreaming you can use a gold disk but you have to have at least SP1 installed on a machine before installing SP3 (Tried doing it without and it really pitched a fit)

this thread and program creator is great, thanks for the work

2. how do you keep MuvEnum Address Bar: in place and always on when restarting computer? cuz when i do it dissappears then i gotta renable it, unlock taskbar move it around the relock. thanks

bump my question wasnt answered