Building a system

Grake

looks good. id go 4x1gb on the ram though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145179

thats what i have in mine and i love 'em

you could save a 40$ with an evga card instead (which newegg has in a combo with a 750W PSU for the same price as your 650 (plus 15$ more on the mail in rebate)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130319

EVGA also has a step-up program in case you want to upgrade your card within 60 days of purchase

I have those exact speakers too and they are awesome for games but movies/music they have way too much bass even with the sub amp cranked all the way down. on some shows i cant hear subtle dialog because the background music is causing my desk to rattle like the license plate on a riced-up civic.

also, if you not in love with that heatsink, i recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835101014 im using it on my quad right now inside an Antec SonataIII and the cores are sitting at 36-39 degree range with just stock fans. i forget what the heat tops out at but its not bad at all. Ill take note of it nextime im ingame if your interested in that 'sink

Also, it looks like your building a complete system but didn't add a mouse. if you already have one thats cool but if not, it would be frustrating to have to borrow one off an old PC for a brand new build.

heres the one i have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16826104015

looks good. id go 4x1gb on the ram though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145179

thats what i have in mine and i love 'em

You're suggesting a setup that's less future-proof, provides little real-world performance benefit over DDR2-800, but that costs over twice as much? I'd say stick with the 2x2GB OCZ Platinum (it's what's running in this system) and leave the other two slots for future RAM upgrades. I've easily pushed my RAM (the same as he's planning on getting) to over 900MHz with the same voltages and timings. DDR2-1066 is money gone down the drain IMO.

you could save a 40$ with an evga card instead (which newegg has in a combo with a 750W PSU for the same price as your 650 (plus 15$ more on the mail in rebate)
Or he could save even more on the card, and overclock it himself - eVGA 8800GT 512MB - 512-P3-N801-AR. Take the difference in price and get yourself the Accelero S1. There's no other heatsink for the 8800GT like it. I've got it that exact video setup running in my rig here, overclocked to 700/1750/2000 (Core/Shader/Mem), and it idles at 36C, load temps in Crysis are around 50C.
also, if you not in love with that heatsink, i recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835101014 im using it on my quad right now inside an Antec SonataIII and the cores are sitting at 36-39 degree range with just stock fans. i forget what the heat tops out at but its not bad at all. Ill take note of it nextime im ingame if your interested in that 'sink
The Ninja is a great heatsink, only topped out by the ThermalRight Ultra 120 (and it's extreme variant). Personally, I'd ditch the included fan (or keep it for elsewhere), and get the Scythe Slip Stream 800RPM fan - heck, get four for your entire system - rear, top, front, and CPU. They're barely audible at full speed, and you can slow them down from the BIOS Q-Fan or SpeedFan. If you're worried about cooling - don't be. The P182 is about as good as it gets, and I've got a similar setup to yours with four low speed fans. My CPU never goes above 45C, and my graphics card tops out at 50C.
Also, it looks like your building a complete system but didn't add a mouse. if you already have one thats cool but if not, it would be frustrating to have to borrow one off an old PC for a brand new build.

heres the one i have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16826104015

I tried the Revolution, and just couldn't get used to it. I found it too "busy" of a mouse (compared to the included mouse with my Logitech MX3200 combo). I'd personally just get the Logitech MX518 and be done with it. It's got great tracking on just about any surface, and many people prefer it to the G5 for overall feel (yes, there is a difference).

The only thing that worries me is the choice of PSU. I'd ditch that Antec PSU and get the Corsair HX620. MUCH better build quality, and it's likely noticably quieter. It's the quietest ~600W PSU that SilentPCReview has ever tested, and it's yet to be beat. I've got that PSU and it's little brother (HX520) in my systems, and they're nothing short of rock solid stable. 22dBa at 300W load with 85% efficiency is hard to beat - read the full review.

I'm just curious... why the Raptor, and then a single 320GB drive? If you want to go for storage space, 500GB drives give the best $/GB ratio at the moment. I'd recommend the WD5000AAKS. Your other option is to go for the new 1TB drives that are coming out. The WD Green Power drives run a little slower than the competition, but they draw less power (i.e. run cooler) and cost less.

Hope this all helps! If you stick with the setup you've chosen and some of my suggestions, the Raptor hard drive will be the loudest part of your entire setup. :yes:

P.S. @ geek - I'm not trying to pick on you - I'm just giving a different point of view for the build. :)

I would like to add, that the Q6600 would not be the best choice, that would be the Q9300/2.66GHz/6MB/1,333MHz.

Although its multiplier and cash are lower then the Q6600, it can be overclocked easy and better then the Q6600. The 6% overall performance gain of the new core and the higher clock makes it up with the multiplier and the extra cache from the Q6600. The price isn’t that much higher, we are talking about a price difference of 30-40 USD. What I see so far, as I could not test it my self yet, the Q9300 OCes close to 4GHz IF your motherboard can handle 500MHz FSB, but that should not be a problem with a top of the line DFI, MSI (yes they are coming back), Gigabyte or ASUS ;).

Thanks guys, I'll look into your suggestions. I'm not keen on getting the memory for that price since the budget is ~2k, and it's already there. Already got a mouse, that's why it's not on the list.

How hard is it to operate on the video card. I don't want to bend it and break it and do things that's not supposed to do.

Replaced the hard drive & power supply with your suggestions, I'll look into the rest later. :thumbup

Replacing the heatsink on the 8800GT is a piece of cake. There's about 12 screws to remove the stock heatsink, but once that's off, it's solidly built, and you won't have to worry about breaking it (unless you do something stupid :P).

I think that XFX actually lets you replace the heatsink without voiding the warranty. They've also go double-lifetime warranty, so if you one day decide to sell the card, the new owner gets a full warranty coverage as well.

If you are lucky and they have no time to check it at that moment they do ;), but "normally" they don’t... or did they changed there warranty policy? :blink:
This limited lifetime warranty is valid for the life of the retail product, so long as the original purchaser owns the product, based upon the following conditions:
  • There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.

EVGA Limited Lifetime warranty

... damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation...
That´s good to know that EVGA accepts an after market cooler :).
... or did they changed there warranty policy? :blink:
So they did!