Building a system

Grake

looks good. id go 4x1gb on the ram though

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145179

thats what i have in mine and i love 'em

You're suggesting a setup that's less future-proof, provides little real-world performance benefit over DDR2-800, but that costs over twice as much? I'd say stick with the 2x2GB OCZ Platinum (it's what's running in this system) and leave the other two slots for future RAM upgrades. I've easily pushed my RAM (the same as he's planning on getting) to over 900MHz with the same voltages and timings. DDR2-1066 is money gone down the drain IMO.

yeah that sounded less stupid when i said it. I've given up on leaving headroom in systems when i build them (ie: ill just fill 2 of the slots now and then ill have room for an upgrade later) because everytime ive done that i have never actually upgraded the system -i just replace it instead :) that position on upgrades isnt ideal for everyone. as for the huge price jump between his and the one i linked, i should have noted that I usually end up spending the same amount for the RAM as i do for the CPU (i have an irrational fear of cheap RAM)

P.S. @ geek - I'm not trying to pick on you - I'm just giving a different point of view for the build. :)

I know, thats the beauty of building your own systems. everybody 'Thinks Different' despite what the mac fanboys would have you believe.

(I have an irrational fear of cheap RAM)

No need for that, just pick value RAM from a known "brand" or with good PCB and ICs. I can tell you that I’m really happy with my too much OCed cheap *ss RAM, and if it’s smokes it smokes, not going to cry about it, just replace it again (still 4 times cheaper then the ones you have) ;).

Thanks Zxian for the hardware recommendations, you saved me a lot of time hunting for parts. Too many parts to choose from these days. I really like the sound of those Scythe 800 fans, too bad they're out of stock :(

p.s. the Zalman VF1000 VGA cooler looks like a brute

Thanks Zxian for the hardware recommendations, you saved me a lot of time hunting for parts. Too many parts to choose from these days. I really like the sound of those Scythe 800 fans, too bad they're out of stock :(

p.s. the Zalman VF1000 VGA cooler looks like a brute

Glad to be of help. I know that the search for new parts can be daunting - it is for me all the time! :lol:

The Slipstream fans are amazing. I replaced an S-Flex Low speed Fan (800RPM) by the Ultra Low speed Slipstream (500RPM) and my CPU temperatures dropped by a couple of degrees. My next batch purchase of fans is going to be 500 and 800RPM slipstreams.

The Zalman VF1000 is alright, but can't hold a candle to the Accelero S1 and S2 VGA coolers. Arctic Cooling really hit the nail on the head there. You should check out SilentPCReview's articles for the Accelero S1 and Accelero S2. SPCR does very good hardware reviews for heatsinks, fans, and other devices that relate to the overall noise of your computer. They won't necessarily find you the fastest hard drive, or the best CPU, but for the rest of the system you've built, they'll tell you how to make it quieter. After having worked there for a while, I can say that their methedology is top notch, and the editorial skills of Mike Chin are world class. :)