The 8800GTS (G92) Surgery

jcarle

Take one XFX 8800GTS (92) 512MB video card for $329.99, perform surgery on it, add $39.99 of copper heatsinks attached with $10.99 of silver epoxy, replace the stock heatsink with a huge $29.99 passive heatsink, coated with the best $5.99 tube of thermal paste available on the market today, overclock the GPU by 150MHz, the memory clock by 28MHz and play with a monster.

picture1022sh2_thumb.jpg

Before Surgery

picture1023dq8_thumb.jpg

Stripped

picture1025eh3_thumb.jpg

Cleaned with copper heatsinks attached

picture1026qm2_thumb.jpg

Top view of the final product

picture1028gc6_thumb.jpg

Side view of the final product

picture1031xx3_thumb.jpg

Installed

xfx8800gtsg92temperaturbb6_thumb.png

The card sits at 40C during idle and doesn't go higher then 50C during load, passively. And that's overclocked from the stock 650MHz Core / 972MHz Memory (1.94GHz effective) to 800MHz Core / 1000MHz Memory (2.00GHz effective). Average FPS in all the games we could find is above 40FPS at 1920x1200 with all settings at maximum. Our next test is to try to get our hands on Crisis to see what kind of framerates with can get with that. Even recent games like Need For Speed: ProStreet, Doom 3, F.E.A.R., BioShock all ran with high framerates, always with settings on maximum and resolution set to 1920x1200. The final product is sick.

I hand picked and modded the card myself for a friend of mine who wanted to play recent games on his 24" widescreen monitor. If anyone wants a hand modified card for their system, PM me and I'll be happy to hand-build you a custom modded video card for your system. You can't buy this kind of performance off the shelf. Oh and modding eats SLI for breakfast.

Edited by puntoMX

Hehe... all of the G92 based cards are sweet. I've got almost the same setup as you did there with my 8800GT, but I'm using aluminum heatsinks instead of copper. I've got my card set to 700/1000, up from 600/900, and my load temperatures don't go much above 50C. Running rhtdribl in fullscreen mode (1680x1050, 60Hz, 4x Multisample) gets me a solid 60FPS. :thumbup

P.S. Boo ImageShack... you should be ashamed... you know where you should be hosting your pictures! ;)

P.S. Boo ImageShack... you should be ashamed... you know where you should be hosting your pictures! ;)
:rolleyes:, ;), my thoughts exactly. And Imageshack is slow too!

Nice setup, only VERY expensive memory heat sinks there! There are good ones with frag-tape on the down side, works almost as good as your setup but for 40USD less ;).

Nice setup, only VERY expensive memory heat sinks there! There are good ones with frag-tape on the down side, works almost as good as your setup but for 40USD less ;).
These came with frag tape, I stripped it and replaced it with the Arctic Silver Epoxy.

PS: Updated the images to KwikPiks.

Edited by jcarle

I'm guessing that you bent the heatpipes on the S1 yourself to make clearance for the copper heatsinks? I know that my S1 doesn't bend down at that angle.

Also... thumbnails!!! Kwikpiks generates them automatically for you. I need to get around to making a popup with a nice BBCode insert text...

These came with frag tape, I stripped it and replaced it with the Arctic Silver Epoxy.

ya the tape on those sinks really stuff. epoxy is needed. i bought that kit and only like 2 of them stuck. now i have a different kit and they stick perfectly. you gotta love G92 :)

ya the tape on those sinks really stuff. epoxy is needed. i bought that kit and only like 2 of them stuck. now i have a different kit and they stick perfectly. you gotta love G92 :)

So, I like that! That is awesome!

Edited by Ghzsystems

"ya the tape on those sinks really stuff"

wow i must have been out of it, i meant:

ya the tape on those sinks really suck

So you said: "Oh and modding eats SLI for breakfast." Can you explain that?

What knowledge I have of SLI... basically it's piggybacking the 2 Graphics Cards into 1 card... making things faster...(Never had a SLI setup before...)

Is OC'ing a card a better plan with proper cooling than SLI?

If I can save 300-400 bucks on my video card setup with my new system... I am SO going this way with things. I just want to make sure I pull at least 50FPS in a raid in World Of Warcraft. I am also buying one of those crazy a** network cards that's out. (I have it bookmarked and forgot the name of it.) It's like 200-300 bucks for those network cards.

My overclock is roughly 67.XX% from base of processor (2.66ghz Core2Duo) and this pc is just insanely cool. (All Air.) A video card will add to the heat. I have a decently large case (Antec P182) with a Scythe Ninja cooler rev2 and then the 2 fans that come with the case on the outside. My fan is positioned on the video card side of the processor and blowing upwards towards the top fan. When it came to fitting the heatsink in that case and on my board, everything just barely cleared. :) But it works really well and it's nothing but cold air coming out the back. I am proud of my setup and I don't need the best of the best. I just need to have what works well, and is nice and cold for this Tempe, Arizona home the PC resides in :whistle:

Edited by Ghzsystems

@Ghzsystems - I'd recommend trying the one card first, and see what kind of performance you get. If you're still not getting the performance that you want, grab a second card and then do SLI.

The "extreme" network cards that you hear about don't really do much, and definitely aren't worth the money

The problem with SLI is that you don't get a 100% performance increase because there's too much overhead. Real world figures show that SLI only provides a 25% - 50% performance increase (sometimes even less) over a single card at twice the price.

Edited by jcarle

The problem with SLI is that you don't get 100% performance increase because there's too much overhead. Real world figures show that SLI only provides a 25% - 50% performance increase (sometimes even less) over a single card at twice the price.

ya it is more like 30%. even with TRI-SLI it scales horribly