"Dll hell" phenomenom and its side effects

Offler

I had some trouble with installation process. some apps was not running correctly. Examining showed that few video filters have not been installed. In previous installation i was able to install everything without trouble, but it was only accident.

Then i overwritted System directory by those of older installation and again installation of test application was sucessful. Later tests showed that this is caused by missing *.dll files - msvcr71.dll was the missing file for this case.

This file has to be part of visual c++ redistributable package but it is not. Redistributable package 2005 and 2006 does not contain this file. system also contain exuberants service pack1, NET 2.0, MDAC 2.8, DirectX 9.0c Nov2007 and MSVCR2005 and still there are missing files direcly in system.

this is the list of Dlls which i recommend to add:

ijl15.dll

mfc70.dll

msvcp70.dll

msvcp71.dll

msvcr70.dll

msvcr71.dll

following files can be safely manually upgraded to newer versions from win XP, but are not crucial:

msyuv.dll

wow32.dll

iyuv_32.dll

ioctrl.dll

these were contained with 3dMark2003.

right now it helped me to fix some errors - mostly with Tv tuner application. normally this issue will be described as a system error (common with win9x systems) but again it is not true.

Even WinXp had same trouble with that application. Programmer was sure about that those files are automatically contained with windows or with VCRedist...

i hope it shall fix more invisible or unspecified app and other bugs.

Hi, Offler! :hello:

Whence can I get ijl15.dll and msvcp70.dll, please?

Hi dencorso, I did some searching around to find reputable sources for these two files (because the 3dMark2003 download suggest by Offler is too large for me). Hopefully I have found some:

MSVCP70.DLL:

http://paradroid.sourceforge.net/msvcp70.dll

IJL15.DLL, contained within the Intel JPEG Library Video Codec 1.0:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Vi...deo-Codec.shtml

HTH.

by the way... few missing dlls caused serious trouble with installation process of a single application. My home windows is upgraded with everything available, but as i see it was not enough.

How can an user detect which dll he miss? I know - if it should be easy it is not called "Dll Hell" :) In some cases app gives an error report where i can find all information about which dll it needs, but in cases like this one... I was the lucky one so i was able to fix all tv tuner related multimedia.

Shall i download all windows related files and hope that thay shall work or ... i dont know...

Hi, Offler! :hello:

Whence can I get ijl15.dll and msvcp70.dll, please?

Hi dencorso, I did some searching around to find reputable sources for these two files (because the 3dMark2003 download suggest by Offler is too large for me). Hopefully I have found some:

MSVCP70.DLL:

http://paradroid.sourceforge.net/msvcp70.dll

IJL15.DLL, contained within the Intel JPEG Library Video Codec 1.0:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Vi...deo-Codec.shtml

HTH.

Hi, bristols and Offler: :hello:

Thanks a whole lot! :thumbup You do rock, both of you! :thumbup

@bristols: Yes! The links you found are much more convenient, for sure.

Hi, bristols and Offler: :hello:

Thanks a whole lot! :thumbup You do rock, both of you! :thumbup

@bristols: Yes! The links you found are much more convenient, for sure.

Off-topic:

You rock too, dencorso! Thanks, and keep the updates coming (much appreciated).

Thanks for dependency walker. it helped me to analyze so much Dll related problems as possible.

Since this system is being upgraded for long time i was quite dissappointed when i ran the analysis for some crucial applications. It seems that most apps (including explorer.exe) are using shlwapi.dll. This dll is connected to missing, dlls and missing exports which are mostly NT based (as this dll too). Has someone of you noticed it?

following files can be safely manually upgraded to newer versions from win XP, but are not crucial:

msyuv.dll

wow32.dll

iyuv_32.dll

ioctrl.dll

These are all 100% compatible?

Thanks for dependency walker. it helped me to analyze so much Dll related problems as possible.

Since this system is being upgraded for long time i was quite dissappointed when i ran the analysis for some crucial applications. It seems that most apps (including explorer.exe) are using shlwapi.dll. This dll is connected to missing, dlls and missing exports which are mostly NT based (as this dll too). Has someone of you noticed it?

Hi Offler,

I ran Dependency Walker on my Explorer.exe and got the same missing exports in delay-load dependent modules of shlwapi.dll.

The file is part of Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 (it shows how embedded IE is into Windows!).

It is part of the Cumulative Update for IE6 SP1.

Because of this, the file (and others in IE) are designed for all OSs from 98 to XP.

Therefore, it will check the OS and available DLL exports and run accordingly.

In this case I would not be concerned by DW's report.

Hi Offler,

I ran Dependency Walker on my Explorer.exe and got the same missing exports in delay-load dependent modules of shlwapi.dll.

The file is part of Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 (it shows how embedded IE is into Windows!).

Because of this, the file (and others in IE) are designed for all OSs from 98 to XP.

Hi, Offler and RetroOS! :hello:

As RetroOS explained, there are files designed to work both in the 9x/ME family AND in the NT/XP family.

These files do have missing dependencies, when used in the 9x/ME family, which can be safely ignored.

They can be, AFAIK:

i) For DLLs:

these missing DLLs

APPHELP.DLL

USERENV.DLL

UXTHEME.DLL

and these missing imports

CoWaitForMultipleHandles in OLE32.DLL

SHBindToParent in SHELL32.DLL

SHPathPrepareForWriteW in SHELL32.DLL

ii) For SYSs and MPDs (WDM files):

NTOSKRNL.EXE

HAL.DLL

As long as only these dependencies are missing, you usually are on the safe side. Of course, a note saying so ought ideally to accompany Dependency Walker, but things are usually far from perfect, as you well know...

Edited by dencorso

Hi Offler,

Hi, Offler and RetroOS! :hello:

As RetroOS explained, there are files designed to work both in the 9x/ME family AND in the NT/XP family.

These files do have missing dependencies, when used in the 9x/ME family, which can be safely ignored.

They can be, AFAIK:

i) For DLLs:

these missing DLLs

APPHELP.DLL

USERENV.DLL

UXTHEME.DLL

and these missing imports

CoWaitForMultipleHandles in OLE32.DLL

SHBindToParent in SHELL32.DLL

SHPathPrepareForWriteW in SHELL32.DLL

ii) For SYSs and MPDs (WDM files):

NTOSKRNL.EXE

HAL.DLL

As long as only these dependencies are missing, you usually are on the safe side. Of course, a note saying so ought ideally to accompany Dependency Walker, but things are usually far from perfect, as you well know...

thanks for explanation, but i would rather see all dlls work properly.