Strange (funny) things by Microsoft Update

wela

:rolleyes:

Hi to all, i´ve had a strange but funny message by Microsoft Update.

After i have build a fresh XPSP2-CD / German, i installed a virt PC to see if there are any issues.

Goin to Microsoft Update, the Update -Site tried to install:

KB946627, KB942840 and Malicious Software Tool released May 2007 and Dezember 2007.

So there are two questions:

1. Are the KB-Files supported by hfslip?

2. Why tried WU installing two Malicious tools? A Friend of mine told me same thing happend with a fresh W2KSP4

German.

Strange or Funny, that is the question, i think?! :unsure:

I´ve tried to build a CD with KB946627 and KB942840, install went fine, but after GUI logon IE-Icons Broken and IE-Exe quit with error message.

Edited by wela

apparently always lists them - MS paranoia i guess...

ignore them (don't download/run; check them as "never show again") or just download/run them and they won't show again.

HTH

edit - was only referring to the Malicious tools...

Edited by submix8c

Hi

Tried several times to build a new CD with german XPSP2 including the two Hotfixes KB946627 and KB942840.

All installation went fine but after finishing and login always the IE Icons are broken and IE.exe quit with error message.

Are these Horfixes critical, important or optional? Can anyone give a little help?

Ironically, KB946627 is supposed to FIX a crash caused by the latest cumulative update for IE6... :)

Those two hotfixes you mention should be supported by HFSLIP, provided that there are no bugs in them and that you aren't slipstreaming IE7. I'm going to test them now but it will take a while because I don't have a SOURCESS folder with IE6 or a VM install with XPSP2+IE6 to play with; they all have IE7.

Concerning the Malicious Tools... ;)

If MU/WU offers you two different versions I highly doubt it's a problem with HFSLIP. It isn't the first time something like this happens; remember MSXML6?

No issues with the German XPSP2 (full except IE7) either: both updates were slipstreamed, setuperr.log is empty, IE icon is not "broken", and Microsoft Update only asks me to install IE7, .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0, and a hardware update for AMD processors (meaning that I don't have the Malicious Software Removal Tool issue either).

Is there anything different in your setup?

Hmm......

A XPSP2 german without KB946627 is running well and with included Malicious Dezember 07 WU only offers the excluded KB file.

Trying to test without my Regtweaks, i think there´s the Prob.

THX for Answer.

See ya next year. :D

The only thing of importance that KB946627 does is add one value into the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_PROTECT_DECOMPRESSION_FILTER_FROM_ABORT_KB942367]
"*"=dword:00000001

On the Malicious Tool issue:

Spanish source + KB890830-V1.36 -> WU/MU asks for both May and December KB890830.

Spanish source + KB890830-V1.35 (November) -> WU/MU asks only for December KB890830.

Don't have the logs right now, hope that helps.