Computer Build Hardware Suggestions - Gaming Rig

foolios

Ok here is my list now. Please chime in. I have a ?? for Case/PSU and the after market CPU fan cooler. I am looking for help on thses two items on which way to go.

Total Price: $2260 + Shipping

CASE / PSU??

COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKN3-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Thermaltake W0116RU Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version 750W Power Supply

Or

COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKR3-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case Real Power Pro 1000W Power Supply

Drive

Western Digital Caviar GP WD10EACS 1TB 5400 to 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM Item #: N82E16822136151

CPU

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6700

Memory

Kingston HyperX 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX6400D2K2/4G

Video

BFG Tech BFGE88512GTOC2E GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

MB

ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Item #: N82E16813131219

Rom

ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T - Item #: N82E16827135156

PSU

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick

O/S

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 64Bit SP2C - OEM

Sound

Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series

Extras

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

Or

ZALMAN CNPS5700D-CU 65mm 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink

Plus some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound.

So what do you all think? Comments, Ideas, Suggestions.

Thanks

Get the Corsair 620W.

Do NOT get a BFG videocard. I'm never buying another BFG videocard again. They work well during idle to moderate usage, have lifetime guarantees but have all kinds of weird problems when under heavy load for a long period of time. Get yourself an XFX instead, it's worth the investment.

Add 2 x 80GB in RAID 0 for your system drive. The 1TB GreenPower is a great data drive, not a good system drive.

You can probably get cheaper performance memory by looking at some other companies such as OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair.

Personally, I'd ditch the ASUS DVD+/-RW and get yourself a Pioneer DVR-212D (also SATA). It's faster and honestly, you'll use lightscribe once, find out it's so much trouble and so slow that you'll never use it again.

I'd look at possibly getting an ASUS Maximus series motherboard for gaming.

As for the cooler, Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. There is no other champion.

I called ASUS on the motherboard choice and I was looking at the ASUS Maximus series but it has Bios issues now and they say that they get a lot of calls on it so this was the most stable rock solid board and is still with X38 series.

for the DVD drive I need a black face one and your choice is beige so will not work.

The 1terabyte hdd will be second the main hdd is a Sata 400gb 7200 rpm hdd by Seagate ST3400633AS. I forgot to add it in the past post.

Also for video always have had good luck with BFG: Ii think I may goto this one though now seems to be a bit better card: BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail Over clock version. Thoughts? only $10 more than other 8800GT above.

Ideas on ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

Or

or the cases?

Thanks

I called ASUS on the motherboard choice and I was looking at the ASUS Maximus series but it has Bios issues now and they say that they get a lot of calls on it so this was the most stable rock solid board and is still with X38 series.
BIOS updates get released fairly frequently with ASUS, so it won't be long to get fixed.
for the DVD drive I need a black face one and your choice is beige so will not work.
Check again: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16827129009
The 1terabyte hdd will be second the main hdd is a Sata 400gb 7200 rpm hdd by Seagate ST3400633AS. I forgot to add it in the past post.
You'd still be better off with something like 2 x 250GB in RAID 0 for your system drive. RAID 0 essentially doubles (more or less) your hard drive speed.
Also for video always have had good luck with BFG: Ii think I may goto this one though now seems to be a bit better card: BFG Tech BFGE88512GTSE GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail Over clock version. Thoughts? only $10 more than other 8800GT above.
The problem is that BFG overclocks their cards TOO much at the factory, making them unstable under heavy heavy load.
Ideas on ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

Or

Again, those don't even come close to the performance offered by the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme at only $60 USD. Edited by jcarle

Jcarle - Thanks for the input.

So the MOB i am getting is not as good as the Maximus and I should change it? Asus recomended it to me and said it is an easier board to put in after market cpu coolers on then Maximus. ????

Also what about the case / Psu choices? Ideas.

The HDD 400GB I have is brand new so I have to use it, may get another one like it then and do a raid 0.

Ii found the DVD drive but a lot of bad reviews on it, DOA or Dies after 3 months, lots of bad burns ect.

Fot the CPU I have been told not much of a jump from the 6600 to the 6700 for the extra $$. But I read through Newegg reviews and it seems they still ship out the old series chip and not the GO version. You have a 50/50 chance to get the GO version. Not sure it is worth the risk. Thoughts?

Thanks

I'm not really sure what to say about the reviews of the DVR-212D. I've bought three of them in the past few months, and jcarle's got four of them in his system (as you can see from his sig). jcarle rips/burns more DVDs in half a year than most people watch in their lives, and I've gone through my fair share of burning and ripping myself.

The DVR-112D (IDE version) and DVR-212D are the only burners I've used that I haven't made a single coaster with. *touch wood*

The extra cost of the Q6700 isn't worth the money. Even with the old B3 stepping, you'd easily be able to match the Q6700 speed by a very minor overclock (that your hardware would easily be able to handle). The difference between the B3 and G0 steppings isn't really that great, and unless you're trying to go for a world record overclock - won't matter. ;)

Thanks for the info. I saw the Asus DVD reviews so figured it was good one to go with not big on Light scribe but it had good reviews and was black. :) I have a Pioneer now so I was shocked to see bad reviews also on the one you both listed.

Ideas on which way to go with a case?

Also is the BFG 512 8800 GTS (G92) Better than the 8800 GTS?

Thanks

I've got the Antec 900 for my case at home. It's not quite as big inside as some other cases, but it's still plenty of space for all your hardware. The cooling system is also something that can't be beat.

The G92 series cards are the new generation. One easy way of distinguishing them from the old cards is that the old cards come with 320/640MB of VRAM, while the new cards have 512MB/1GB.

Even Photoshop CS3 does better with two fast cores (E6850??) than a quad core.

Yes, but he said gaming rig. More, new games are coming out with multi-core support.

Also, if the OP is budget oriented I heard Crossfire with the Radeon 38xxx series is excellent in terms of FPS/dollar.

Otherwise 8800GTS or 88000GT in SLi for more performance.

Also is the BFG 512 8800 GTS (G92) Better than the 8800 GTS?

If you mean the 512mb 8800GTS (new) vs 640mb 8800 GTS (old) then stick with the new one. Its cheaper, faster, quieter, sucks less power. You'd have to be loony to get the old one.

Even the 8800 GT is better than the old 8800 GTS in every single way.

Also BFG is the name of the manufacturer. Like Sapphire, BFG, XFX, PNY... etc. They take the chips from nVidia and build the cards.

Edited by puntoMX

Yes the core clock is faster on the 8800 GTS G92 Version. I am going for it.

I also change the hdd's and the DVD and CPU to a 6600. Now it is at $1900+Shipping. Not to bad.

I wonder if Ii wait until say next June/July if it would be worth it. Heard if I do there are some sweet products coming out and this rig I am after would be about $500 less.

Arghhhh, Decisions are killing me what to do now.