Disable pagefile tweak, having trouble finding info

First off, these systems use a solid state hard drive- its not that I want the pagefile off, its that the drive looses a lot of life if left on.

I have seen lots of reg tweaks to turn the pagefile up or down, but not off. Does anyone have info on how I can incorporate this into an unattended installation?

edit: I think I just found a way- does this sound realistic?

;Turn off pagefile

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000000

Edited by gospeed

My 2 cents??? DON'T DISABLE THE PAGEFILE!!!

You want faster performace put it on a second drive....

Unless you have 2 gigs of ram or more and don't use thing like the new adobe apps you can disable it.

But most new adobe apps AND several other apps actually HAVE to have a pagefile including some games.

the system has 2gb of ram and a 4gb solid state drive, and they dont like the constant writing. Its a specialty application, which must be why I cant find info on turning it off with a tweak. I can do it manually once windows starts, then it requires a reboot.

Edited by gospeed

edit: I think I just found a way- does this sound realistic?

;Turn off pagefile
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000000

This registry setting has nothing to do with managing your Windows paging file (pagefile.sys). It specifies whether kernel-mode drivers and kernel-mode system code can be paged to disk when not in use. Source: Microsoft TechNet

Instead, look at the PagingFiles value, located under the same registry key. Source: Microsoft TechNet While Microsoft, does not recommend editing the registry value directly, others have tried this. See this guide: Petri IT Knowledgebase: How can I optimize the Windows 2000/XP/2003 virtual memory (Pagefile)? for more information.

And for what it is worth, I once ran Microsoft Windows XP Pro on a PC with only 384 MB of RAM for more than a year without a pagefile. Mind you, I did little more than Word, Excel, Access, and IE on that PC (and never more than one at a time). While it may not be recommended, Windows has always seemed to handle it pretty well. You might lose the ability to capture memory dump files and other Paging file-related reports.

Use

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x10000,""

I disagree with the people saying dont disable the paging file. There's many reasons why you wouldnt want a paging file. I disable it in my VM's. You dont need to reboot to disable the pagefile.

You can use my guest vm inf that ive been working on for my vm guests that ill eventually release on my future site.

-gosh

vmconfig_guest.inf

Thank you very much Gosh; of all the stuff I learn, I learn best by example. This helps a tremendous amount- I have been playing with wording and hadn't gotten it right yet

I have been a long time fan of your guide for Multiboots! Haven't got around to trying your new method, but its on my list. Keep up the great work!

Use

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management","PagingFiles",0x10000,""

I must be stupid...what type of command does it take to install this- I tried as an .inf and it doesnt take. I have also used the wording in a .cmd and a .reg and neither seem to work either.

There you go, copy/paste in a txt file and name it 'disable-pagefile.reg' for example.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"PagingFiles"=dword:0x10000

I tried that, (tried that exactly just now, but also tried it with "\memory management" directory added at an earlier time) and when I open regedit, the value never changes.

Not sure if it matters, but within "Pagingfiles" there is no dword...it has a "Value Data" and within that is the value "c:\pagefile.sys 256 512". I can change it with a script but I cant seem to set it to 0 or disable it.

Edited by gospeed

• 1 month later...
There you go, copy/paste in a txt file and name it 'disable-pagefile.reg' for example.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"PagingFiles"=dword:0x10000

On my system at least (WinXP SP2 ver. Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254) that didn't work, but THIS did.

"PagingFiles"=hex(7):00,00

Good luck!