PS3 vs XBOX 360 Elite

tim_ver

I was looking to buy a new PC but though maybe I should just use the money for a console. Ok here is the deal.

I have a p4 2.6 ghz, 2gig ram, 256meg video card and looking at going to Intel core 2 quad 6700, 2 gig ram DDR2, BFG NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB and the P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard, etc. Ii use this for Graphic design now and Gaming.

But I see almost all game makers going to the consoles now as it is cheaper for them and fear if I drop money on a new pc it may not be worth it for gaming, and I should just get a console box instead. So I have a few questions for all to chime in on.

1.) Is it worth it to upgrade my PC?

2.) Should I buy a console or not?

3.) If yes to buy a console should I get PS3 or XBOX 360 Elite?

Thanks Much

OK first ill state what should be obvious IMO but Im beginning to think I'm just weird cause very few people seem to agree.

PC Gaming != Console Gaming*

this is often confused with

PC Gaming > Console Gaming or PC Gaming < Console Gaming

The truth of the matter is its is almost impossible to create the same game these days for more than 1 platform and have them come out identical and in the rare case that they do, some people will prefer the console controls and others will prefer the ol' keyboard + mouse

Personally I use the PC for FPS, RTS and MMOs

Unreal 3, Gears of War, Blacksite, Simcity type(including spore), Warcraft1-3, Hellgate, WoW

the only 'current gen' console I own is the Wii but I have played games on both the 360 and PS3

Zelda:TP, Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports/Play

I have at least 20 racing games for the original XBOX(GTA Series not included) but my favorites by far are the Burnout Series (BO:Paradise might get me to buy a 360)

OK, I kinda got lost there but my point is some genres are more fun on one platform than they are on another

Examples:

Halo is a FPS for consoles and I loath the mere mention of the game because I found the controls impossible and the gameplay bland when compared with almost any PC FPS yet every 13 year old with a Xbox live account thinks Bungie invented the FPS.

Other side of the coin -imagine Zelda for the PC(yes i know there was one but im trying to forget it) the gameplay and controls just wouldnt work. Same with Mario, Sonic, ETC.

You just have to look at what games are out or will be coming out for the expected life of your PC/Console and evaluate where you wanna put your money at.

as for the game makers moving away from PCs, yes there are some that are switching platforms but for the most part, I agree with their decision to move because if it makes a better game on a console in the end then Ill just have to deal with the hundreds of games put out a year for the PC. as for the Wii, as i said its not really nex gen so I can't really lump it into a nextgen buying decision type thread but IMO, it is the poster child for what console gaming is about.

* != means does not equal

First of all, I don't own any console at current, but I have played on various consoles. The advantage of a computer over a console is that you can use a computer for much more than a console. Consoles are meant to play games, period. A console therefore can't replace a computer. A computer however can replace a console as is. This might sound like I prefer a computer over a console, but the fact is that you simply can't compare them properly.

I'm planning on getting an X-BOX 360 myself. I've got a proper computer at home on which I can play any of the current games, but next month there might be a new game which requires a more heavy videocard and then I won't be able to play it properly. If you buy any console, any of the games meant for this specific console will work. In other words, there isn't any need to worry about if you'll be able to play a game or not. This is the reason for me why I'm planning on getting a console, besides already owning a proper computer.

As for which console to buy, don't go for the looks of the console. This might sound like a silly advice, but I know several people who bought an X-BOX 360 Elite just because of the colour, but they'll never use any of the extra's that the Elite edition offers, so they could have better spent less money on their console in my humble opinion. Choose a console based on what you want to do with it. If you need a large hard disk, go for one with a large hard disk. In case of an X-BOX 360, don't buy one without a hard disk; you'll regret it later most likely.

Ask yourself which games you would like to play. Certain games are only available on X-BOX 360, others only on Wii or PS3. If most of the games which you want to play are only available for PS3, go for it. It's the games what you'll use your console for, so check this properly. Also check for the quality of the graphics. Personally I don't like the Wii when it comes to it's graphics, it's controls, it's games, et cetera. The PS3 is better, but in my humble opinion it's rather expensive and the graphics on an X-BOX 360 look the same to me. Most games which I'm interested in are available for X-BOX 360. I don't like the white colour of the X-BOX 360, but the machine itself is good and comes well equiped for the money.

In short, if you have a computer which is sufficient for your needs, go for the console which offers the most games of your liking.

I'm planning on getting an X-BOX 360 myself. I've got a proper computer at home on which I can play any of the current games, but next month there might be a new game which requires a more heavy videocard and then I won't be able to play it properly. If you buy any console, any of the games meant for this specific console will work. In other words, there isn't any need to worry about if you'll be able to play a game or not. This is the reason for me why I'm planning on getting a console, besides already owning a proper computer.

This is one thing I didn't think of to address in the MKT thread. With a console, there's always the guarantee that the game will work as long as the console is functional. With the PCs, that's not really the case. I mentioned the hardware/software problem in getting new games in the other thread (If you want Crysis that means you need a DX10 video card, which means you need Vista for DX10, which means all kinds of other upgrades to handle Vista, etc, other possibly broken games - just costs a lot of money to keep up in the PC side).

But then there's always the software problem with the old games. I can't recall the number of games I used to play lots and like but I had to throw out because Windows 9X or Windows XP wouldn't run them properly (things like your MKT example). Contrast that with my 20 year-old FAMICOM/NES console - I could pull it out and still play Legend of Zelda, SMB 3, or whatever came out on it without a problem just like the day I bought them.

Overall for the question, you just have to weigh your interests with the gaming systems that are out there (including PC) and see if the advantages and disadvantages for the platform (cost, does the platform have the games I like, etc) are something you can live with. For example, I notice most PC gaming enthusiasts are computer hardware gearheads who tend to upgrade their systems every six months anyway, so that gets them joy and for them negates the cost associated with the upgrades to have the newest games. But if you just want to play the games, the cost is a big turn-off.

like was said, PC Gaming != Console Gaming. You just have to see what you like and go with it.

Edited by Glenn9999

Ok thanks,

I Like FPS games and Sports like Madden and NHL by EA. I also like the fact on the PC I can edit my teams and players (Names and ratings, etc). I have not upgraded my pc in over 5 years so figured time for it now. But I will not go cutting edge just want better graphics and good speed to last for next 2 years for some of the games like ones listed above.

If PS3 has backword cap and it can play old PS2 games are the graphics good or ok? I have never played a PS3 or PS2 game on a PS3 so I am wondering if this is a option to way or not.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
If PS3 has backword cap and it can play old PS2 games are the graphics good or ok? I have never played a PS3 or PS2 game on a PS3 so I am wondering if this is a option to way or not.

Yes and no. If you want backwards compatibility you have to get an old version PS3 or the 80GB one. Sony is removing the needed chips to save money. The 40GB does not have it, and they're thinking of removing it on the 80GB one too.

I recommend getting the old (about 6months old) 20GB versions or the 80GB if you have the cash.

The console is shaping up ok. Not too many must get games. They're coming but its very slow.

If you want to play great games now, and like to have a huge library to choose from then get a 360. They are unreliable though. High failure rate.

If you want to see what graphics of PS2 on PS3 looks like browse this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158224

• 1 month later...
if you have a 360, you may want to grab a HD-DVD addon player while you still can before they're pulled off of shelves completely.

Why purchase a HD-DVD player when it doesn't have any future as it seems? Toshiba has said to stop with HD-DVD. You could better spend your money on a Blue-Ray player if you want high definition quality.

if you have a 360, you may want to grab a HD-DVD addon player while you still can before they're pulled off of shelves completely.

Why purchase a HD-DVD player when it doesn't have any future as it seems? Toshiba has said to stop with HD-DVD. You could better spend your money on a Blue-Ray player if you want high definition quality.

Maybe he likes rummaging through the 5$ DVD bin at wal-mart for cheap DVDs? Thatll be the only place where you can HD-DVDs soon (that and the 1 video store in every town that still carries BETA and Laserdiscs for rent)

crap. I just realized its only a matter of time until i have to come 'fix' a family members dvd player because it wont play their brand new 'dvd' they bought from the 5$ bin.

• 1 month later...