How do I sec-boot (6) my computer?

Panarchy

Hello!

I was told on another program that to sec-boot my computer, it would be best to use a program called G-Parted... do I need a program?

Is that a good program?

It is for the following OS's;

1. Solaris

2. Ubuntu

3. Vista (ultimate)

4. XP (dunno, XP or Pro)

5. Mac OSX Leopard

6. Novell Linux SUSE

All on one 500GB Hard-Drive. I am thinking of giving each 83GB, but they will probably be less due to lost space.

Please tell me what I should do!

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

PS: No, I haven't finished my computer build yet, I just need a graphics card which I will be getting tomorrow.

Gparted is a free equivalent of Partition Magic. From what I know, it is not a boot manager (I might be wrong here, or maybe you were told about "Grub" or "Lilo" instead).

+If you intend to give each OS its own primary partition and for some a swap partition or common data partitions, you have a little "overcrowd"problem. "Ranish Partition Manager" can get around that but it was made long ago and I don't know if it will recognise your disk as it runs under DOS.

Forget about actually multi-booting your system. That thinking is going the way of the dodo. :P

Get yourself VirtualBox and run the other operating systems in a virtual environment. There is absolutely no way that you're actually going to use all of those operating systems seriously, so you're better off using virtualization and keeping your main (Windows) installation as clean as possible.

^I'd rather have non-virtual drives. That why I bought 2 harddrives (a 400 and a 500GB)

Panarchy

Gparted is a free equivalent of Partition Magic. From what I know, it is not a boot manager (I might be wrong here, or maybe you were told about "Grub" or "Lilo" instead).

+If you intend to give each OS its own primary partition and for some a swap partition or common data partitions, you have a little "overcrowd"problem. "Ranish Partition Manager" can get around that but it was made long ago and I don't know if it will recognise your disk as it runs under DOS.

:(

Well tell me any program (freeware or shareware) that will allow me to boot 3 OS's on each of my harddrives.

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

And how about booting from 2 harddrives (I learnt that I can only boot 4 on one HD) so I want to have 3 on each drive.

I have a 400GB & a 500GB.

Please tell me if this is alright,

Thanks in advance,

Panarchy

What exactly do you want to do with these various operating systems?

There are no "virtual drives" with Virtualization. VirtualBox creates a file that it uses as the VM's use. For one thing - you're never going to be using all of the operating systems equally, and secondly, setting aside 80GB for a regular Linux distro is complete and utter overkill. 10 or 15GB would be plenty of space.

Multi-booting is ugly - plain and simple. I can't even begin to tell you how many headaches I've run into when trying to setup Windows and Linux on the same system. Not to mention that you need to reboot your system when you want to move from one OS to the other. If you use a virtual machine, then you can keep using your regular OS while working in the other, and you can switch back and forth as quickly as you please.

The problem with dual-booting is that you can't "go-back" to an older state. If you were to set things up the way you say you want them, you'd have a LOT of work to reconfigure things if you wanted to add or remove an OS from your system. With VirtualBox, it's as easy as going "add/delete virtual machine". Multi-booting across hard drives is also more trouble than it's worth.

To answer your question directly - there is no program that will let you magically setup a multi-boot environment. Grub/Lilo can set this up for you after you've got your various OSes installed.

but the problem is Mac OS X Leopard

Its illegal, unless u doing this in a Mac :unsure:

Panarchy does not take it too close with rules, as I believe this is at least his third thread in which he discusses/offers illegal software and/or activities.