Windows XP(full not upgrade) install problem

flipflop

First time post.Beyond the scope of this forum,I managed to foul up manufacturer provided(don't know if permitted to say which)VISTA .I want to install XP PRO in a created partition but though initially the XP install "works,"at some point I am told that my HDD is not recognized.The provided HDD is a 250 GB SATA.I copied SATA driver from manufacturer site to a floppy disk,tried using external USB floppydrive,clicked F6 but didn't succeed installing SATA driver.

Please don't mention Nlite(I think is name) which I don't understand..at all!!

Is there a "simple"way to somehow get the SATA driver installed so XP install will proceed normally?

First time post.Beyond the scope of this forum,I managed to foul up manufacturer provided(don't know if permitted to say which)VISTA .I want to install XP PRO in a created partition but though initially the XP install "works,"at some point I am told that my HDD is not recognized.The provided HDD is a 250 GB SATA.I copied SATA driver from manufacturer site to a floppy disk,tried using external USB floppydrive,clicked F6 but didn't succeed installing SATA driver.

Please don't mention Nlite(I think is name) which I don't understand..at all!!

Is there a "simple"way to somehow get the SATA driver installed so XP install will proceed normally?

Try adapting this process.

This guy made a universal driver that works with SATA and integrating it into XP might work for you.

Edited by fdv

First,an apology to the moderator..I posted a somewhat similar query about a week ago and there were four responses but these appeared more suggestions or hypothesis rather than descriptions of ACTUAL successful experiences so as I am about to completely give up,I am trying one final posting.

Though I am more "negative"than "positive"about anything ,I am generally VERY persistent but I am about ready to believe...I...with my level of skill will not be able to install XP PRO on a SONY VGN-FZ240E laptop.There have been many postings on the "web"from persons who didn't want VISTA and retrograded to "good ole" XP.

I am not an expert by an means but have installed XP in several desktop computers.. EVEN WHERE THE HDD WAS SATA,but it seems to me that laptops are different animals.I have never been able to pass beyond a certain point when I see the oft mentioned message that my HDD can't be found.As I said,I never had problems when installing on a desktop but even the BIOS is FAR different for laptops such as those of SONY;there is little the user can actually change with the "stripped down" F2 BIOS screen.

SONY conveniently makes available drivers but whether it makes a difference using a VISTA intended driver with XP I don't know;there is a VISTA SATA driver at their web site .....which is an executable file which installs a SATA driver.I bought a USB external floppy drive and copied the SONY SATA driver(for VISTA only??).I did the "F6 thing" but when I used the floppy(floppy is not provided with the SONY laptop),there was an error message about missing oem.textsetup(or is it textsetup.oem).

I am aware of nLITE but it looks like you need a bunch of files:I don't know what is "hidden"inside the SONY SAT driver setup (.exe).

My nephew who is professionally involved with business computer system in the UK suggested using a product called vmware where I think you would run XP inside a VISTA program .I spent $189 for software but can't figure out how you use it.

Incidentally,sometime folks suggest contacting the mfr(in this case SONY)but my experience if you do anything outside of what they intended in manufacture,they are NOT interested in helping.

Again,I need a PROVEN technique for installing XP in an at least SONY laptop where the HDD is SATA type and there are no floppies.

This is my last attempt in trying to see if ...I... can do what I want.

I have attached the textmode drivers for you motherboards SATA controller.

you have 2 options: extract the files to a floppy and hit f6 after booting off the XP cd when prompted or integrate them into a new cd using this method

Personally, i dont care for either method.

the easiest way is:

1. Copy the contents of your XP CD cd to your hard drive
  2. Download Driverpacks Base and Driverpack Mass Storage from http://driverpacks.net/
  3. run DP_Base.exe (part of driverpacks base)
  4. Point it at folder you extracted XP CD to
  5. Add the Mass Storage driverpack (be sure to check the checkbox for textmode install)
  6. make it into an ISO and burn it using this method
  7. boot from that CD and XP will find your drive

82801.zip

=====Post Nº1=====

Thank you,Sir.

flipflop (in southern NJ where no snow over weekend,just rain)

=====Post Nº2=====

Well,the SATA drive was recognized using the file you attached and XP Pro was fully installed but when I wanted to install a video driver,using the SONY file,the on screen message was that the driver was only for VISTA.

I want a full screen image but only have a small box. How do I install an XP-suitable video driver for this cptr SONY VGN-FZ240E

flipflop

(intended for Geek--12/16/07 your reply

• 2 weeks later...

the drivers for your laptop are listed here

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list....amp;region_id=1

which my best guess for a matching XP driver would be

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...al〈=eng

if that doesn't work try this utility from intel

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...al〈=eng

actually, even if it does work that utility might do you some good because itll help locate chipset drivers for you

Dear "geek":

Thanks for your kind reply with additional info regarding install of Xp Pro.

Actually,I did print out specs for the computer and thus learned whose chipset and what the number was.

I have a side interest in reading patent literaure and while most pay programs use pdfs,single pages from US patents are a type of tiff which is viewed well using the old KODAK imaging software,so mostly I have first installed W2K and then upgraded to XP Pro so as to retain the Kodak software.I assume the same SATA drivers you gave me could be used for W2K also.I may try this.

One advantage of XP is that I can employ a long used partitioning program called Partition Magic(which won't work with VISTA)

flipflop (in southern NJ)

@flipflop

I have merged this topic with the older one you mentioned. When people respond to your posts it is polite to reply within that thread not ignore them and start another one at a later date.

Please also learn to use the Forums more responsibly, I have merged two of your posts in this thread because you posted twice without reply. We have an edit feature for appending to your previous post in these situations.

I have also deleted three of your posts in this thread which contained nothing but entirely quoted text from postings which had gone before. If you feel the need to reply to a specific posting then quote the post or section of the post to which you are replying within that reply. Do not create a post consisting of a quoted response then follow it with another post containing your reply.

I hope you understand, thank you.

Dear Moderator:

It's by no means a question of responsibillity/irresponsibility;I simply am variably confused ....HOW..to reply.Where I see an"add reply"I'm OK but it is possible not knowing precisely what to do I may even have posted the exact "intended reply" more than once.

I don't see much about how to REPLY under help;again where I see an "add reply"option,I'm OK.

I am not even sure this will go where I intend it as a reply to the moderator.Your comments now almost make me ....afraid...to even use this forum again for fear I will be criticized though I hardly intend to do things contrary to any forum's rules.

flipflop

@flipflop...

dude! don't freak! (almost) everyone has trouble at first. i've been "yelled at" too (through a misunderstanding), so don't take it personal. you could have really screwed up and totally violated forum rules!

just don't "add reply" until you are sure of what you want to say, edit the post if necessary instead of posting again (if possible), stay within your topic, and post in the appropriate forum/topic where possible.

...and try not to (which i sometimes do) "help, i'm talking and i can't shut up!"

peace, bro! everyone's here to either learn or to help...

edit - no need to respond to this... waste of a post, ya know...

Edited by submix8c

• 5 weeks later...
I have attached the textmode drivers for you motherboards SATA controller.

you have 2 options: extract the files to a floppy and hit f6 after booting off the XP cd when prompted or integrate them into a new cd using this method

Personally, i dont care for either method.

the easiest way is:

1. Copy the contents of your XP CD cd to your hard drive
  2. Download Driverpacks Base and Driverpack Mass Storage from http://driverpacks.net/
  3. run DP_Base.exe (part of driverpacks base)
  4. Point it at folder you extracted XP CD to
  5. Add the Mass Storage driverpack (be sure to check the checkbox for textmode install)
  6. make it into an ISO and burn it using this method
  7. boot from that CD and XP will find your drive

hello geek,

I got the same problem, and I tried to do what you've explained.

I've downloaded DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_801.7z ,

but I cant figure out how to perform step #5.

(DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_801.7z contains a a lot of folders and no executables...)

any ideas what I've done wrong?

thx.

I accomplished step 5 by dragging the DP_MassStorage... file into the Driver Packs folder that is created when you install DPs_Base.

When I got to step 6, I wasn't sure how to make it an ISO. So, I used Nero to create the ISO & write the disk.

It seems to be working so far. It did recognize the hard drive and I'm formatting now.

Thanks for the help!

:thumbup