Red X in Windows Mail

Sophy

Suddenly some of the pictures in e-mails in Windows Mail are showing up as a box with a red X. Tonight I hit the reply button to write back to a friend to see if she had her settings right, but when I clicked to send this reply it would not send. Another development is that I can't right click on some attachments and select "Save As" to save them to my desktop so I can scan before opening.

I don't know what is going on. I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium that came on the computer, 2GB RAM, use AVG Anti-Virus w/Firewall.

I checked under Tools/Options/Security to make sure that "Block images ..." is not checked. I verified my Java and found that I needed an update so I downloaded that but it didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Hi Sophy,

Can you please confirm not all the pictures in windows email you have seen this problem? Actually, nitroshift solution should work and apparently if its not then we may need to investigate and resolve so that other will also get benefitted if they have similar kind of problem.

If this problem observed particularly with one email. May be the following reason

1.) Image displayed from URL link which may not be available.

2.) Antivirus (Email Filtering ) rules

3.) Settings configuration. (check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Mail , Key Value: Automatically Inline Images , is not 0)

Please let us know.

or if you have already found the solution. Please post it here, it will help others. Cheers!

Best wishes,

Dilip.

This does not happen with all pictures. Some come thru fine and some don't.

I thought I discovered after writing this that after placing the e-mails in question in the trash, I could then go in there, open them and the picture appeared; could also use the "Save As" feature for the attachments mentioned. However, tried that today with an e-mail with the red X and it didn't work. Also tried opening an e-mail from before where this did work and now it doesn't work on that e-mail either.

My AVG Anti-Virus w/Firewall has never caused this problem in the past and I've had it ever since I got the machine.

I'm just not interested in using the Windows Live at this time.

Right clicking on the picture does not give me an option to download.

On the "Settings Configuration" I'm not sure where to go to check this out. I know it has something to do with the registry. Can you help direct me? I could find my way around Windows XP pretty well, but that is not the case in this Vista.

Thanks

Sophy

its funny that you are having that problem, I have seen this twice in the last couple of day affecting outlook 2007. The problem has something to do with temporary internet files, if you look at the settings in IE, the path to the folder is blank and the size is 0MB (general tab, browsing history,settings). The only way I got it working again, was to do a system restore to a point where I knew it worked, create a folder somewhere called "temporary internet files" say, on D: and then using regedit locate the location key manually and change the path to d:\temporary internet files.