Which AHCI driver?

El Barry

Hey all

For the last five months, I have been running my SATA controller(ICH8R) as IDE. Today, I thought "hey, my HD(7200.8) has NCQ, why not use it?" and I want to use that capability. I plan also to buy a new HD with NCQ (7200.10). I did a little reseach and found the driver for the installation. The problem is, I don't know which inf to choose. I have iaahci.inf and iastor.inf, both look very similar and have my controller. I know that the whole folder will be integrated, but does it make a difference which file I choose?

Another thing: Do I need the press F6 when that screen appears? Or it will load automatically?

Thanks for the answers, this is my first time with this SATA drivers thingy.

EDIT: Does the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (iata76_enu.exe) is needed after the installation?

Edited by El Barry

so you want to reinstall your windows right?

you must have floopy drive with disk contain sata/raid driver from your motherboard

(i think you already have it, coz it's a MUST)

when windows setup start you must press F6 (external SATA/RAID controller)

-- believe me it doesn't start automatically --

then it will look for SATA/RAID driver from your floppy,

and again you must manually select the correct driver from your floppy

-- in your CASE you are using Intel ICH8R SATA Raid Controller, CMIIW --

that's it, your done loading your SATA/RAID driver for installing windows

from your SATA drives.

and last, after finnish installing windows, you must install SATA Driver Again,

so it will get updated.

you may try this first. but i think you must backup your drive first.

you don't wanna loose everything when your drive became FULL SATA / RAID.

-- coz sometimes changing those will ask your drive to full REFORMAT, CMIIW --

sorry my bad english, i'm Indonesian :)

feel free to ask anything.

Well, I don't have a floppy drive. That's why I want to integrate the driver with nLite. I just don't know which one to choose.

Also, you say I will need to do a COMPLETE format? To all partitions? Or only the C: partition? If it's a complete format, do I need to do this on my two HD?

Make sure you have correct driver for your SATA or RAID. (or your driver folder missing some other files)

Extract all files from the .EXE don't delete anything when you integrated with nlite, nLite will automatic list all the drivers from that package, you need to choose the correct driver for your hardware.

Hope that helps

You need to obtain the most recent set of Intel drivers from the Intel website. including the txtsetup.oem file.

If you integrate that set with nLite, you can pick either *.inf but for consistency choose the iaahci.inf.

nLite gives you a choice out of two and you pick "Intel® SATA RAID/AHCI Controller"

You do not need to install any other driver after windows starts (it is already these otherwise Windows would not start)

You do not need to install the Intel Matrix Storage but it does not hurt (pretty useless since you do not use matrix storage)

Good luck

don't know if this is useful or not but i always just integrate all my HDD drivers, like RAID even if its not enabled and my IDE Controllers even though everything is SATA, pretty much everything from my manufacturers' website. This is kinda useful because if i chose to enable RAID or add an IDE HDD the driver is already there for it to install.

P.S. on some computers you can enable NCQ in device manager when you select a NCQ compatible HDD Controller. (see pic below). The reason it is disable on my pic below is because i have RAID enabled and is normally disable when i have it enabled.

Another thing: Do I need the press F6 when that screen appears? Or it will load automatically?

EDIT: Does the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (iata76_enu.exe) is needed after the installation?

If you integrate your drivers you don't need to press F6, when integrating them in nlite select textmode and i normally just highlight them all and click ok lol

Secondly, you dont need to install the manager (optional)

Edited by legolash2o

Enabling NCQ doesn't work here (I don't have that option). It may only be avalaible on Nforce chipset (Intel here).

But no one really answered my question above: If I configure my drive with AHCI, does that mean I will have to do a full format like devouz said? If so, only the drive I'm installing XP? Or ALL of them?