I'm Sooooo Confused!

MizzThang

If anyone can try and undo the mass confusion and lack of knowledge on SATA/Raid that I have,

It will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

I had my machine built for me last year. The fella that built it for me initially left my original C drive from a non

SATA system. The HDD didn't like the new system so he then put in a new SATA HDD.

When he installed the new HDD he removed a piece of hardware that he initially had to add

because of the mixed system and said that I would no longer need to hit the F6, but

I need to make good and sure before I clean reinstall XP.

So I now have my drive 1 which is 400.09 GB drive-SATA, my drive 2 SATA which is 400.09 GB,

and I have them divided into partitions.

I have a bunch of other stuff also that is SATA compatible. I will list all hardware at the end of this msg.

Now for the BIG questions ... The end results will determine how and what kind of slipstream I make.

1 - What do I need to look for, and where, to see if I do need Raid drivers for reinstall.

2 - If I do need Raid drivers, I know I need the nForce update, which I currently have downloaded ...

How do I expand(?) the file without it actually installing my this HDD?

2a - If I do need the Raid drivers, exactly what am I looking for to go on the slipstream?

2b - If I do not need the Raid drivers I know I still will need the other drivers in the nForce file.

Which files are needed to go on the slipstream?

What else do I need to know to get started with this project?

(I am totally dumb with this new system, and in a way frightened of it!)

Questions like these I have never found answers to in the almost year I have been looking.

I WISH someone could create SATA/RAID/Slipstream for VERY beginners!!!

Slow, detailed explanations are needed so smart girls like me, and guys too can feel more comfy

with the hardware on this new type of system!

A HUGE Thank You! In advanced! :)

========

My system:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

Processor

2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core

256 kilobyte primary memory cache

1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Memory Modules

1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Main Circuit Board

ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N-E 1.XX

Drives

SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B [CD-ROM drive]

3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

IOMEGA ZIP 100 [Hard drive] -- drive 0

[Hard drive] (400.09 GB) -- drive 1

[Hard drive] (400.09 GB) -- drive 2

Controllers

Standard floppy disk controller

NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller (3x)

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Bus Adapters

ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller (3x)

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)

Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller

Other Devices

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

PS/2 Keyboard

HID-compliant Cordless Mouse

NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator

Generic USB Hub

USB Root Hub (6x)

It would be hard to tell just from the information given if you are using RAID or not. The simplest solution for you would to make a slipstream release with Bashrat's Driver packs. Using nlite you can add these with little problems (and there are lots of examples of this on this site).

To manually do this you would have to edit some windows files (dosnet.inf and txtsetup.inf as far as i remember) and add a line in the drivers section for the new drivers you would like installed.

It would be hard to tell just from the information given if you are using RAID or not. The simplest solution for you would to make a slipstream release with Bashrat's Driver packs. Using nlite you can add these with little problems (and there are lots of examples of this on this site).

To manually do this you would have to edit some windows files (dosnet.inf and txtsetup.inf as far as i remember) and add a line in the drivers section for the new drivers you would like installed.

That URL is probably all well and good for someone that is more comfortable with their computer.

I am taking baby steps. I have to start at point A before I can go to point Z!

I am NOT! I need to learn what is what on this machine, and what raid does, as compared to not having it.

IF I look in the bios, what do I look for to see if there is raid? Can anyone give me any help?

I really am super tired of searching every forum out there with NO answers.

I am as in the dark today as the day it was installed.

I really thought this would be the place ... guess I was wrong. :(

As you are pretty sure you have 2 physical drives, check in Disk Management. If you have 1 disk ("Disk 0", partitionned or not), you are using RAID. If you have "Disk 0" and "Disk 1" (partitionned or not), you are not using RAID.

MizzThang - With RAID you physically have 2 drives, but in MS it appears as 1. If you want the details explaination go here.

Most computers don't use RAID as its overkill for a desktop system.

The rason i said to use Bashrats packs is because its alot eaier than trying to slipstream the individual drivers yourself. I was giving you the baby-steps, as there is alot of info on this forum and others that tell you how to add the driver packs using nlite.

As i said its not that easy to just guess if you are using RAID or not, and the BIOS may say you have RAID enabled but cant tell if you are actually using it. The only easy way is to check the device manager in administrator tools (Control Panel->Administrator Tools->Computer Management->Device Manager)

Now for the BIG questions ... The end results will determine how and what kind of slipstream I make.

1 - What do I need to look for, and where, to see if I do need Raid drivers for reinstall.

2 - If I do need Raid drivers, I know I need the nForce update, which I currently have downloaded ...

How do I expand(?) the file without it actually installing my this HDD?

2a - If I do need the Raid drivers, exactly what am I looking for to go on the slipstream?

2b - If I do not need the Raid drivers I know I still will need the other drivers in the nForce file.

Which files are needed to go on the slipstream?

By using nlite and Bashrats packs you dont need to worry if you have RAID or not, it will install all the required drivers for you.

Edited by phkninja

Well, even with 2 physical drives connected to a RAID controller, 2 disks can show up under windows (JBOD :P).

MizzTang: You really need to look in the BIOS, something like "Configure SATA as" for which are three possibilities:

• -IDE (no drivers needed)
    -SATA, no RAID, often indicated as AHCI (SATA non-RAID (AHCI) driver needed)
    -SATA, RAID (SATA driver needed)

Alternative: look in the Windows Device Manager to see what is connected to the IDE controller (often CD, DVD), and what is connected to the SATA or RAID controller.

The SATA, no RAID (AHCI) mode might be just faster than IDE, not a bad idea for desktops.

In the SATA, RAID mode it would make sense to configure the 2 physical disks as RAID 0 or RAID 1. In that case they show up as 1 disk under windows indeed :).

As you are pretty sure you have 2 physical drives, check in Disk Management. If you have 1 disk ("Disk 0", partitionned or not), you are using RAID. If you have "Disk 0" and "Disk 1" (partitionned or not), you are not using RAID.

I LOVE pictures!

I guess this is a good place to start! TY!

This is what my Disk Management says:

post-126676-1192552358_thumb.jpg

Can you make a picture of all BIOS screens that deal with hard drives, IDE, SATA, RAID?

I don't want to sound dumb but...

How do I take an image of the bios screens, if I am not in windows with print screen? Digi. Camera???

I have never done anything like that before, so I am clueless.

This is really gonna be a learning experience! TY!

Edited by MizzThang

Can you make a picture of all BIOS screens that deal with hard drives, IDE, SATA, RAID?

I don't want to sound dumb but...

How do I take an image of the bios screens, if I am not in windows with print screen? Digi. Camera???

I have never done anything like that before, so I am clueless.

This is really gonna be a learning experience! TY!

Yes a digital camera is the way to go. We do it all the time to document BIOS settings.

Take a print screen of device manager like my example below, pretty much the same in XP :)

the "NVIDIA STRIPE" means im on RAID 0, also in the Storage Controllers some of the drivers have the word "RAID" in them.

Edited by legolash2o

Yes a digital camera is the way to go. We do it all the time to document BIOS settings.

OK..I looked. I saw nothing at all RAID, in plain view. All I did was check each category, and what was on those pages.

I saw only the IDE and SATA. If the RAID would not be in plain view like IDE and SATA, where would it be listed?

Here is the pic:

post-126676-1192651938_thumb.jpg

THANKS! :blink:

You dont have raid enabled

Controllers

Standard floppy disk controller

NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller (3x)

Primary IDE Channel [Controller]

Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Says it all :)

Also on my mobo dunno if its like it on yours aswell, but when RAID is on the i dont see the HDD listed in the BIOS screen like your above picture

also on boot up i get a screen like "Press F10 to configure RAID" which does not appear when RAID is off

EDIT: I'll download you drivers and put the stuff in a .zip for you, ill make a new reply so you know i've done

Edited by legolash2o

Your Drivers

Ok, click the link above and download the .zip it has your IDE, SATA & RAID drivers. There's no installers, setups, junk with these and can safely just integrate them all.

On the nlite drivers section select mutliple drivers and select the "Drivers" folder what was in the .zip

When prompted select textmode for all the prompts, then continue as normal (remove stuff, integrate hotfixes, etc...)burn to disk boot up from CD and hopefully your HDD will be listed :)

EDIT: Oh here is the link to your mobo downloads. drivers, manuals, BIOS updates, that sorta stuff. Read the manual here.

Best of luck :thumbup

Lego

Edited by legolash2o

Your BIOS screen shot does not necessarily provide any information on the RAID controller. It might just say that your drives are connected to the onboard SATA connectors.

Update: if everything else fails try the manual: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket...2n-e_manual.pdf

Open BIOS > Advanced > Onboard Device Configuration > Serial ATA Configuration and take another screen shot

As far as I can see you can do pretty complicated things there :).

Edited by BikinDutchman