I'm Sooooo Confused!

MizzThang

I found an interesting post here

One of the last sentences in naviscan's post is "If RAID is not enabled on installation drive port, then only "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller" is required."

That seems to apply to your installation.

I see that, thanks!

I am in the middle of a HUGE project, and will be doing the HDD (I hope) after the 1st of the month.

I of course will post here after I get the slipstream done, to let you know if it works or not.

• 1 month later...

It has been a while ago so please confirm below information

-You have a Windows XP SP2 installation (32 bits, the most common).

-Your PC/motherboard is an ASUS M2N-E type

-You have your system drive connected to one of the nVidia SATA ports (from your BIOS screen shots)

Assuming all this is the case: to integrate the correct drivers:

-go to support.asus.com, and select download..., followed by 1. Motherboard, 2. Socket AMD2, 3. M2N-E, and Search.

-open the RAID link and download WinXP > Make NVIDIA 32bit SATA RAID Driver for Windows 2000/XP/2003.

-extract the package (with WinRAR or WinZIP 11) your drivers are in 32bit\IDE\WinXP\sataraid

-perform a driver integration with nLite, and select only the NVIDIA nForce storage controller (required) (ignore the other "required" we do not want RAID; we take a risk here but want to figure out first what this does)

-make an ISO image, burn a CD, shutdown your PC, disconnect all other hard drives (to avoid accidential overwrites)

-start the CD install and see how far it gets

--if something is wrong you get a processor halt screen pretty soon; after that you can probably start your computer again as usual and report

-if the installation proceeds, carefully select the right partition, delete it, format and let the installation proceed

-if you get up and running with the new windows, you can make a more complete slipstream based on what you observe

Disclaimer: The above info is as is, no warranty. I have incomplete information, nVidia SATA/RAID integration is tricky, I do not know your system in much detail. The risks and rewards are all yours.

I found an interesting post here

One of the last sentences in naviscan's post is "If RAID is not enabled on installation drive port, then only "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller" is required."

That seems to apply to your installation.

Here is an excerpt from my nForce textmode driver integration tutorial, which is layed down here:
Annex II

Tips for users with a non-Raid nForce S-ATA system

Although this guide is not primarily designed for you, I will give you some informations:

• Windows XP SP2 should be able to detect SATA drives without any 3rd party drivers, provided that you have done the needed BIOS settings (you have to choose the IDE mode of the S-ATA Controllers). So normally there is no reason to hit F6 or to integrate the nForce SATA drivers as TEXTMODE drivers.
  • Nevertheless it is possible and useful to integrate the nForce SATA drivers as normal device (=PnP) drivers into an nLited CD. The way is simple: Just integrate the content of the SATA_IDE subfolder of the actual nForce chipset driver package, which is designed for the special nForce SATA chipset of your mainboard (look at NVIDIA's driver page). This PnP driver integration is very easy with nLite. Just click at one of the INF files you find within the SATA_IDE folder, it doesn't matter which one.

• If your SATA drive(s) is/are not detected at the beginning of the OS installation, although the RAID function is not enabled within the BIOS, you need to load or to integrate the nForce S-ATA drivers as textmode drivers.
    There are 2 options:
    1. Look into the SATA_IDE folder of the unzipped nForce chipset driver package, which is suitable for your mainboard chipset. If you find there a file named TXTSETUP.OEM, you should integrate the content of the SATA_IDE folder as textmode driver.
    2. In all other cases you have to integrate the SATARAID folder (which always has a TXTSETUP.OEM) as textmode driver (similar to the instructions for real SataRaid systems), but in this case only the offered "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller (required)" should be loaded during the textmode driver integration part of the nLite processing. Don't load the "NVIDIA RAID Class Driver (required)", if you don't have an nForce RAID.
  • Some mainboards (for example ASUS ones) have no SATA, but only SATARAID ports. Have a look into your mainboard manual, if you have to enable SATA and RAID within your BIOS, even when you have not built a RAID array. In this case you should integrate the SATARAID folder of the suitable nForce IDE drivers and load both "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller" and "NVIDIA RAID Class Driver" (as written above for real nForce RAID arrays).

Hi again!

I saw your email before this post. LOL!

I had seen that post that you referenced, before:

"If RAID is not enabled on installation drive port, then only "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller" is required.

(NOTE, most BIOS allow RAID to be globally enabled, but you can still enable/disable individual ports as RAID.

Even if RAID is disabled on a specific port, if RAID is being used on other ports you must use

'sataraid' -or- 'legacy' to F6 install the OS onto the non-RAID HDD)."

When we installed XP on the system as it is now, there was NO F6 pressed at all!

My computer guy removed what ever causes the F6 to have to be utilized.

I already have some of the drivers that you mentioned above, but Asus site has been having HUGE .asp

problems the past few days and it's very very hard to hit their web pages.

I will try again, after I type this :)

BTW: yes, you have my system correct!

MsT

When we installed XP on the system as it is now, there was NO F6 pressed at all!

If your BIOS settings are still as they were a month ago, you probably need the SATA (non-RAID) busdriver.

Of course, you can alway try a standard windows CD and see where you end up without even installing something.

-If, in that case, you reach the point where you get a question to delete the previous Windows, you are probably in emulated IDE mode (SATA behaves as the familiar old IDE HDD interface).

If your BIOS settings are still as they were a month ago, you probably need the SATA (non-RAID) busdriver.

Of course, you can alway try a standard windows CD and see where you end up without even installing something.

-If, in that case, you reach the point where you get a question to delete the previous Windows, you are probably in emulated IDE mode (SATA behaves as the familiar old IDE HDD interface).

Good timing! I was JUST getting ready to shut down for the night!

When WE/I did the initial install, I had my original xpsp1 CD.

I let it run through, then I ran my sp2, then I ran the

ASUS disc with the extra drivers.

Did you get my msg about the drivers that I already have?

Please drop me an email and we can take this off the board.

THANKS! CYA Tomorrow :)

Hi all!

I just wanted to let the members of this thread, that I finally redid my xp machine.

I had amazing guidance from one of the members here, "BikinDutchman".

He is the BEST and most patient teacher I have ever run across on this

board, or any help board.

I was deathly afraid of my new system as I didn't want to mess it up.

He guided me, step by step, with explanations of why 'this goes where'.

So rather than me doing to mimic, I actually learned slipstreaming on my non RAID, Sata system.

My re-install of XPSP2 was the most smooth of any install I have ever had, btw!

So once again, KUDO's and HUGS to BikinDutchman. :thumbup

(what a relief to have this done! WHEW!)