Adding Network Connectivity & Customizing Windows RE

cave man

Hi there,

I am trying to create a customized version of Windows Recovery Evironment. I have found very little information about customizing Windows RE and I was wondering a few things.

1) I was wondering if it is possible to add network connectivity to WinRE. If so how?

2) Is it possible to add more than one custom recovery tool to WinRE? I've been trying to play around with the .XML file with no success. Also is it possible to remove any one of the core applications in Win RE. (e.g. Removing the backup tool)

Thanks,

Cave man

Edited by dencorso

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time now since this question was posted and got no reply.

I decided to resurrect it in the hopes someone has found a solution on how to integrate network ability to WinRE.

So... Is the dream of a WinRE with websurfing ability still just a dream?

It's been a long time now since this question was posted and got no reply.

I decided to resurrect it in the hopes someone has found a solution on how to integrate network ability to WinRE.

So... Is the dream of a WinRE with websurfing ability still just a dream?

It may be possible using OPK Tools and adding the SRT-Package to the PE.

Windows RE is nothing more than the repair tools portion of Windows PE. As far as networking capability, it is already there. Perhaps the way that you are getting your Windows RE is where you are having trouble. The way that I do it is with the following command:

imagex /compress None /check /boot /scroll /export F:\sources\boot.wim 2 C:\Pe\WinREFromCD.wim

Maybe it is just me but I have never had any problems with standard networking inside of the WinRE environment. To enable the networking there are a couple of things you can do, manually enable it, or my personal favorite.. Via an Asynchronous.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">

<settings pass="windowsPE">

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<EnableNetwork>true</EnableNetwork>

<EnableFirewall>true</EnableFirewall>

</component>

</settings>

</unattend>

If this does not work for you guys let me know and I will dive into it deeper and see where you are having problems.

• 3 weeks later...

wpeutil -initializenetwork

Hi there,

I am trying to create a customized version of Windows Recovery Evironment. I have found very little information about customizing Windows RE and I was wondering a few things.

1) I was wondering if it is possible to add network connectivity to WinRE. If so how?

2) Is it possible to add more than one custom recovery tool to WinRE? I've been trying to play around with the .XML file with no success. Also is it possible to remove any one of the core applications in Win RE. (e.g. Removing the backup tool)

Thanks,

Cave man

it is the default last option on the windows re screen, unless you have a custom factory recovery tool. also you could always start it in your custom tool.

the winre srt package is launched from the winpeshl.ini. so you could also launch it there too.

Edited by Atheros