Windows XP SP3

ColdChill

Window XP SP3 just had its first authorized distributable released build 3205.

This release is 334.2 megabytes and has been made available to tier-one Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista SP1 beta testers

NeoSmart Technologies has the run-down on the included 1,073 patches/hotfixes including security updates. Contrary to popular belief, Windows XP SP3 does ship with new features/components, most of which have been backported from Windows Vista. Some included features: 'New Windows Product Activation model: no need to enter product key during setup. Network Access Protection modules and policies have been brought to XP after being one of the more-well-received features in Windows Vista. New Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module - the Windows XP SP3 kernel now includes an entire module that provides easy access to multiple cryptographic algorithms and is available for use in kernel-mode drivers and services. New "Black Hole Router" detection - Windows XP SP3 can detect and protect against rogue routers that are discarding data.

Information gathered from Slashdot and NeoSmart.

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/windows-xp-s...lysis-included/

New Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module - the Windows XP SP3 kernel now includes an entire module that provides easy access to multiple cryptographic algorithms and is available for use in kernel-mode drivers and services. New "Black Hole Router" detection - Windows XP SP3 can detect and protect against rogue routers that are discarding data.

These two are not new, they're even in XPSP0 (and the second one probably in all M$ OSes after 3.1). Did they actually work is another question. :)

GL

I hope Microsoft does not add that annoying feature where you want to install a program and it keeps prompting you to allow or deny it, man that was annoying.

It's called UAC (User Account Control) and I doubt it will backported to XP. BTW you can disable that in Vista, though that defeats its purpose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

I dont think UAC adapts or learns from the user, please correct me if I am wrong. In a major complaint I have is UAC cannot remember or save permissions, i.e tell UAC "do not ask for permission to elevate this process again" or something similiar.

That is correct. However, UAC should only be invoked when doing system-level work (like reg editing, installing apps, modifying files in \Windows or \Program Files, etc). If everyday applications keep invoking UAC, that means they are doing something in a protected area of Windows, and aren't Vista-compatible. Whether or not the vendor has a Vista-compatible update is another problem entirely, but that's why UAC prompts - your app is doing something it shouldn't be, and Vista wants to make sure you are allowing it.

I think NOT having a button to allow always is a good thing (for devs, not users), in that it forces develoopers to write apps that don't have UAC prompts (and are thus safer to run and can run LUA, long term, for end-users).

• 4 weeks later...