Google valued 6 billion more than Walmart

gosh

Is Google worth more than Walmart?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is Google worth more than Walmart?

• Yes
    • No

no, Google is overvalued imo and I know little about investing but just compare the PE ratio to Walmart, currently 52:15 respectively, to see how crazy it is :wacko: Also Walmart has much larger operating cash flows and they are more sustainable imo. Probably a good time to cash in on the "irrational exuberance" if you own Google.

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=GOOG

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=WMT

irrational exuberance

We have seen that bubble burst before.

I couldn't make a comment on it either but I just have to wonder. The internet isn't finished with it's growth by a long shot. There is supposed to be a 2nd one that has been developed that is much faster and where will that lead?

DL

Wal-Mart sell stuff people need to live (in some way ;)), Google is not needed to live :P.

Seriously, virtual stuff doesn’t count that much in my eyes...

The alternate way of looking at it is that 'knowledge is power'. Your not going to find much power in WallyWorld.

How many university libraries has Google associated itself with and made online databases of the library contents? And when you are after that little bit of knowledge on something, Google and other search engines try to prioritize the results. I have found many things that have been helpful and would never have gained the knowledge without the internet. Then look at entertainment (YouTube), comunication (Gmail and more), productivity tools, marketing (google advertisement) etc. And they haven't finished yet.

WallyWorld sells you things. Google shows you where you can buy it, buy it cheaper, buy better quality, buy an alternative and have it delivered. How many times have you done comparison shopping and read reviews online and then bought at a local retailer like WallyWorld?

Mark

Wal-Mart sell stuff people need to live (in some way ;)), Google is not needed to live :P.

wal-mart sells stuff ppl need to live? can you give an example? lol

i never go to wal-mart because they have nothing that i do need, it's all pointless junk for kids and clothes for women

i never go to wal-mart because they have nothing that i do need, it's all pointless junk for kids and clothes for women

Yes, Walmart is the largest department store / supermarket in the USA for a reason. If it did not sell things people wanted and were willing to pay for then it would not be so successful. Walmart helps people put food on the table, clothes on their bodies, and a computer on the desk to use Google. "Pointless junk" is just elitist tripe. Btw I am more of a Target (silent t) guy. :D

How many university libraries has Google associated itself with and made online databases of the library contents? And when you are after that little bit of knowledge on something, Google and other search engines try to prioritize the results. I have found many things that have been helpful and would never have gained the knowledge without the internet. Then look at entertainment (YouTube), comunication (Gmail and more), productivity tools, marketing (google advertisement) etc. And they haven't finished yet.

I see that wikipedia somehow is getting more and more popular, it could take some time to find the right stuff on Google sometimes while in wiki you go directly to the point were you want to be. If I want to know more about chipsets for example I jump first to wiki and if that don’t satisfy me I will use Google. Don’t get me wrong, Google is still THE homepage on my machines ;).

Yes, Walmart is the largest department store / supermarket in the USA for a reason. If it did not sell things people wanted and were willing to pay for then it would not be so successful. Walmart helps people put food on the table, clothes on their bodies, and a computer on the desk to use Google. "Pointless junk" is just elitist tripe. Btw I am more of a Target (silent t) guy. :D

well maybe the walmarts by me are crap then..

food on the table? the only food at the walmarts by me is junk food. clothes you can get cheap at alot of different stores. a computer? i've never seen one before there...

You must be kidding me? :blink:

They even sell shocks and tires for cars here and have about 30 models of laptops and desktops stalled out...

By the way, food on the table; You still have to cook :P, we are not only talking about nuke-able (microwave) stuff ;).

Unfortunately, being an Aussie, I don't know Walmart. Dont know what to compare it to out here.

So I can't give you a definitive answer.

Possibly yes, but don't really know.

That's almost surprising. It seems Wal-Mart is everywhere but I know better. I was watching The Amazing Race one time and the teams were driving down some highway in Chile or Argentina and drove right past a Wal-Mart. I like Wal-Mart because they're usually cheaper than anyone else and you can get everything under one roof from dinner to underwear to electronics, and get your oil changed while you shop. Some of their stuff is junk but you could say that about any retailer who's trying to appeal to such a broad audience. A lot of people hate Wal-Mart just because they're big and that makes them a huge target (no pun intended). People complain about Wal-Mart not treating workers fairly as if every little mom and pop store that Wal-Mart is accused of single-handedly running out of business, offers full medical insurance, a month of paid vacation time and $25.00 an hour to their clerks. But I digress from the topic at hand. I don't know whose assets or stocks are more valuable, Wal-Mart's or Google's, but I do think that Wal-Mart is of more value to the populace than is Google.

well maybe the walmarts by me are crap then..

food on the table? the only food at the walmarts by me is junk food. clothes you can get cheap at alot of different stores. a computer? i've never seen one before there...

The "Super Walmart" or "Walmart Supercenter" has a full grocery store. Another thing we our overlooking is Walmarts popular pharmacy.

it could take some time to find the right stuff on Google

Yeah, learning to search properly is a topic on it's own. !! I'm not saying you don't know how!! I am just commenting. As to the library archives that I mentioned, I only know of them from having read articles. I wouldn't even know where to look and am not about to now either. I can see that killing several hours on it's own, once I found the location.

As often as I have browsed around in wikipedia, it has always been through someone else's link. I don't believe I have ever gone there to do a search. :blink: And I have garnered good info there.

@DigeratiPrime- Don't forget that you can get your hair cut there also! Go for it! You can get whitewalls while your car does too! Sweet.

DL