HOWTO create a fully up to date XP x64 DVD (EoL Feb 2016)

Kurt_Aust

mniceguy81, as far as I know MS has not and will not release DirectX 10 or 11 for XP. I think it is just one example of their strong arm tactics to convince us to move to Vista and now W7. I get the impression that the later versions of DirectX are quite an improvement over 9, but I am not a gamer and don't know personally. At some time in the future W7 will be required to support higher core count processors and I will move to it then. Enjoy, John.

Kurt_Aust : Please don't misunderstand me. In most cases Movie Maker will work - without the extra codec installation as described by me.

But sometimes it dont work. BTW this is platform-independent. I experienced the same error on x86 machines. From my point of view sometimes some codecs are not able to self-register "right".

Normally the K-Lite Codec Pack works like a charm, as far as i know this is the only codec installation setup who checks exsisting codecs first.

My instruction was meant for problematic cases.

mniceguy81: johnhc is right. DirectX 10 or later will be only aviable on Windows Vista or later. This is the MS-Way to enforce you to buy a new OS. If you really need dx10 or later i recommend to test your game on win7.

edit reason: directx addenum

Edited by genu

Kurt_Aust and all. If you have not heard or experienced, one of the latest MS updates, KB973869, is broken and shows as waiting to install after it has been installed. This seems to be an x64 problem (XP and 2000), but is expected (by some) to be corrected soon. I installed the latest updates on my real machine today and installed KB973869 again, but it is still showing as ready and waiting. Enjoy, John.

BTW: This is the second time I have typed this, as MSFN had some kind of data base error and lost my previous one.

August updates

Deletions:

Hotfix\870-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB961371-x64-ENU.exe

RunOnce\IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB969897-x64-ENU.exe

RunOnce\IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB971930-x64-ENU.exe

RunOnce\vcredist_x64.exe

WMP11\WindowsMedia11-KB936782-x64-ENU.exe

WMP11\WindowsMedia11-KB959772-x64-ENU.exe

Additions:

Hotfix\

@ . . . 890-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB961371-v2-x64-ENU.exe [868,720]

@ 900-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB968389-x64-ENU.exe [3,831,152]

@ 910-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB971032-x64-ENU.exe [4,464,512]

@ . . . 920-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB971557-x64-ENU.exe [766,848]

@ . . . 930-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB973869-x64-ENU.exe [723,312]

@ 940-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB973354-x64-ENU.exe [3,333,504]

@ . . . 950-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB973507-x64-ENU.exe [732,544]

@ . . . 960-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB960859-x64-ENU.exe [758,640]

@ . . . 970-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB973815-x64-ENU.exe [750,960]

@ . . . 980-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB971657-x64-ENU.exe [778,112]

RunOnce\

@ WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB956744-x64-ENU.exe [4,044,672] Update for RDC(TSC6)

@ vcredist_x86.exe [2,745,256] Visual C++ 2005 SP1 32-bit

@ vcredist_x64.exe [3,215,280] Visual C++ 2005 SP1 64-bit

# IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB972260-x64-ENU.exe [39,431,552]

@ . . . IE8-WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB972636-x64-ENU.exe [685,936]

@ . . . install_flash_player_ax.exe [1,962,544]

WMP11\

@ WindowsMedia11-KB973540-x64-ENU.exe [6,016,912]

Notes:

1. New versions of Visual C++ 2005 sp1 redistributable.

2. Added Adobe Flash ActiveX control to the default install.

3. Added support for the following applications:

Adobe Reader patches (these also work with AR lite)

Tool Tip Fixer

uTorrent

BOINC Screensaver

4. Removed support (remarked out) for Adobe Shockwave, I swear that thing has a VM detector. It will install silently in VMware Server or VirtualBox but asks to install a toolbar when installing (using same image) on a real machine.

5. One of this month's hotfixes (KB973869) continually shows up on Windows Update even though according to add/remove programs it has been installed. If you have the same problem please notify Microsoft support.

Johnhc:

I most certainly know about KB973869, I've been on the phone to Microsoft technical support about it and it's the primary reason this month's update wasn't posted yesterday (I'm also having trouble with the eSnips upload service).

hi, :hello:

that is a great tutorial, i am thinking to make use of it, but firtly i would want to clarify some doubts.

i want to create a xp 32 bit, and so, the entire procces is the same or there are some changes that i have to care of them??

i want to create that dvd by installing in the virtual box the xp and then update it and then use nlite, but the procces will be the same as being in a normal hard drive??

and i saw a lot of stuff in this tutorial and i dont understand the purpose of the,

so which is the purpose of the Config_XP-64_date.zip file, and instead of downloading the updates from here the updates from the

and which is the purpose of some but files, such as : Run1_XP-64.bat, AccountInit.bat, .....

SilverBlade:

This guide is designed for 64-bit XP which, despite the similarity in name, is from a different code base (Server 2003) than standard 32-bit XP.

Simply put, while most of the concepts and methods of execution used in this guide are also applicable to 32-bit XP, the update files required are completely different.

but from where i will find a similar Config_XP-64_date.zip for my OS? and which is the purpose of this zipped folder??

and which are the differences that i must take in account when making my updated OS?

and which is the purpose of the bat files

Silverblade:

• You won't find a similar Config_XP-64_date.zip for your OS as (to the best of my knowledge) nobody has written one.
  • The purpose of the zipped folder is implied by its name, it sets the required configuration for using this guide.
  • The batch files install those items not supported for direct integration by nLite.

If you seek to understand how this works I'd suggest tracking down an Windows 2000 install CD and have a go at using the similar guide for W2K. That guide has more detailed descriptions of how the process actually works (and be sure to check out the screenshots).

With 5eraph MIA and as a hotfix reordering will be necessary (ran out of numbers) there will be some changes to the format of the download lists come September. This post should be taken as a preview, I've attached the updated batch files but if you do use them, backup your hotfix directory first as they are likely to change. Note that I haven't bothered to purge this post or the files for this specific forum.

Also Kelsenellenelvian has put out a nice little x64 CPL bonus pack.

====================================================================================================

Preview removed now that main post has been updated.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

August updates

4. Removed support (remarked out) for Adobe Shockwave, I swear that thing has a VM detector. It will install silently in VMware Server or VirtualBox but asks to install a toolbar when installing (using same image) on a real machine.

As was stated by me a couple of months ago in this post:

I'd use

%Source%AddOns\sw_lic_full_installer.exe /S

instead. The Shockwave installer you've commented out bothers you with sh_t about a toolbar and stuff.

You can get the executable that does not do that here

Edited by meowing

Meowing, I think I'll just leave it unsupported for now. I just don't feel comfortable with adding a direct link to a version that would normally require one to agree to a redistribution license.

Yes, I know I have a few other direct download links in the guide but they are to versions that are freely available without such precondition.

Meowing, I think I'll just leave it unsupported for now. I just don't feel comfortable with adding a direct link to a version that would normally require one to agree to a redistribution license.

The link got emailed to me a long time ago by someone still using a Macromedia e-mail address. This was when I asked them about support for HomeSite as a separate software distribution. Homesite is now part of Dreamweaver. I think they maintain this direct-download for several older software packages (automatic downloads by those) and are licensed by Adobe to offer it that way. As a user you don't need to have a license before downloading, or they failed to tell me about it anyway..

It is the most recent version, as I see here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/