Ultra DMA 4 vs PIO mode 4

Hi, I spent my sunday reinstalling my sister's old computer, all drivers, all updates etc... From ME to XP. added some megs, updated Bios, almost perfect, waiting for the kids to trash it. :rolleyes:

What bothers me is that the HDD is slow as hell, the mobo claims "Dual bus Master IDE Ultra DMA33/66 /100" but the disks is exactly twice as fast when I run it on an other DMA 66 mobo.

I think the mobo is bad but you never know, maybe any of you knows better.

Mobo is MSI-6309 v2, PIII800MHz, last Biosv3.8, optimized default loaded, tried with older Bios versions also (flashed 6 times !!!). Triple checked jumpers, tried with other HDD same problem, drive is alone on the right end of the cable, tried with other cable (both 80 wires), also tried on secondary IDE, still same problem.

Drive is detected as "UltraDMA4 capable" on boot screen, then "running mode PIO 4" on the next screen. Anyone an idea ?

I don’t think your motherboard is bad, check this:

- Bad or leaking capacitors any were?

- Busmaster drivers installed, eg. VIA storage drivers (almost SURE that’s the problem you have now!)

- 80-wire PATA/IDE flat cable used?

I did install the drivers (it's a "VIA4in1" and I rechecked I downloaded the good one). As I said, I swapped the cable with the one from the other computer as well, no difference. I tested with PC-Check under DOS and see exactly the same problem. HDDs are quite recent 30 and 40Gig so way beyond ATA66. I wish you were right. I'll check for the capacitors when I go back over there. Is "PIO 4" good or bad ?

I did install the drivers (it's a "VIA4in1" and I rechecked I downloaded the good one).

Not only that one alone.

There is a risk involved, not that big but there is, when you install the IDE Miniport driver, there is no way you can de-install it. Also, what service packs are installed? SP1 has LOADS of fixes for example; SP2 would be the best...

- Chipset used VIA Apollo Pro 133A/686B

Check your BIOS settings and make sure the drive is set for UDMA.

It's an AMI Bios from 2002 and there is no such option to enable or disable.

XP version is SP2(FR) + update pack (french equivalent of Ryan)+Windows updates.

Thanks anyway. :}