Case fan

clidx

Im looking for a 120mm case fan since the ones that came with my case barely pump any air. and they have a very low rpm (although that's not necessarily a bad thing, i can stick my little finger in there and not feel a thing. that can't be good).

i really don't mind if it has LEDs or not and i completely don't care about noise level but i'm looking for something that pumps as much air as possible

any thoughts?

i'm looking at the thermaltake A2449 but i'd like to get something with higher airflow

(btw i'll be buying 2 case fans since both the 120mm fans that came with my case are the same and they suck)

Edited by clidx

Here's what I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811999344

I have two of these in my case. One intake and one exhaust..

The original fans I bought with my case, just could not keep up with my cooling requirements.

They were quiet, but having a couple of 8800gtx running in SLI need air, not silence.

As long as the noise doesn't bother you, they will move a lot of air. Then again, they have a speed control on them. So you are able to slow them to 800 rpms if you wish.

i love the cfm rating on that. it seems that that fan is the most hyped about on the net

i just ordered it (though by scan.co.uk rather than newegg since i live in the uk) and it'll come by wednesday

i can't wait to see how it'll perform.

Thanks

EDIT i forgot to ask, anyone have recommendations for a passive gpu cooler? i know i posted a thread about accelero s1 vs x2 for a sapphire x1950 pro but now i'm looking at other manufacturers etc etc. Obv it has to be compatible with a x1950 pro. and i can't find a cheap accelero s1... :(

Edited by clidx

one more thing, is my psu fan enough for exhaust? i'll have 1x70mm side case fan and 2x120mm fans when the silverstone arrives (though 1 of the 120mm fans is the stock fan that came with my case and sucks)

all i know about my psu fan it that it's 120mm and sucking air out out of my case, not blowing it in.

Edited by clidx

As you're in the UK like me, I have only one recommendation:

http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/

She has 1321 100% feedback on ebay, and everyone who has used her services always recommends her - just search usenet for her name for references.

There really is no other UK store that compares to her service and selection for her particular speciality.

Edited by SmaugyGrrr

one more thing, is my psu fan enough for exhaust? i'll have 1x70mm side case fan and 2x120mm fans when the silverstone arrives (though 1 of the 120mm fans is the stock fan that came with my case and sucks)

all i know about my psu fan it that it's 120mm and sucking air out out of my case, not blowing it in.

you have alot of heat in your case with that hardware that you have, so definatly get an exhaust fan.

i've ordered an expansion slot exhaust fan that sucks air outta the case at about 40cfm (only £3!) , the fan that came with the case and my psu fan. the ~115cfm fan is arriving later in the week.

should i use the 70mm fan as exhaust or intake? it attaches to the case cover but i think that having a fan on the side is kind of inconvenient since a good setup is a high cfm intake fan at the front, psu and normal exhaust fan at the back since i think it gives good airflow. but then you've got this little thing on the side blowing air in and disrupting the air flow. or does it actually help airflow?

and the freezer 7 pro comes with a (I think) 80 or 92mm fan (don't know which). the fan on the freezer blows towards the back.

Btw ripken, how much have you oc'd your q6600? i've only got mine to to 2.8ghz so far (315x9) and temps are barely above default clock temps

fans on the front and side should be intake, fans on the top and back should be exhaust. i have a side fan on my case which i really need since i have water cooling, there would be no other good way to keep my mobo cool.

my Q6600 is at a crappy 3ghz(333x9), at least its only using 1.248v, i'm gunna see if i can get the voltage to be lower. so far i have hit 3.6ghz but it took like 1.425v, idling below 30C

i've hit a barrier at 2835mhz @315x9... upping the vcore doesn't help (i think i'm on 1.28-something). i've locked the pci bus to 33.3 and pci-e bus to 100mhz etc etc but it wouldn't even boot up at 325x9... i had to restart it several times until the mobo detected a failed cmos checksum and resetted the settings.

orthos on all 4 cores ran ok for 4 hours before i quit it at 315x9

and you really are lucky that you could raise the fsb so much and keep the vcore low... :( but if it idles at 30 C and 1.425V then it can't be that bad keeping at that vcore can it? i'm new to overclocking.

anyway, any tips? i'll twiddle about a bit and see what i can do... or could it be my psu that can't hold everything? (i don't want to get another one already! but i do need one for an old pc that i'm going to be putting my old mobo in)

EDIT stable at 320x9

i just reversed the case fan at the back of my case that was acting as intake and my cpu temps dropped about 3 C... makes me wonder what'll happen when i get the silverstone...

Edited by clidx

Scythe S-Flex model F is a very beastly fan i must say. i intend to order 4 as soon as possible [probably close to the holidays because i can't warrant it just yet]. 60+CFM, very quiet, easily undervolted. definately not something that will dissapoint you. better to buy the fans in larger quantities though, its not the cheapest fan you'll find.

@bonestonne i'll keep that model in mind in case i need a higher cfm exhaust fan

and like i said, i don't care about noise. one of the things that simply does not bother me (maybe because i have my headphones on when i'm on my pc)

i'm about to go do some more overclocking... i'll post back on what i can get. i'm not sure what voltage i'm on, it's 1.28***. and in my p5b deluxe theres only one option that's 1.28***. it's a pretty cool day today in england (or at least in london, in the room in my house that my pc's in) and at 75% load with the freezer's fan on default speed my load temps are about 42 C with 75% load!! (which is pretty good for what i've seen of the freezer so far!!)

EDIT ok i'll post a list of stable overclocks

320x9 1.2875V (not stable when i lower the vcore any further :()

325x9 1.3125V (not stable at anything below it grrrrr) edit: scratch 325x9@1.3125V it crashed after about 10 mins with 75% load

i think i need a bit of help... and with cores 2, 3 and 4 at 100% and 1 at about 10% my temps are 46, 45, 39 and 42 (320x9@1.2875V)

i haven't tried going past 1.4V and i don't think i really want to.

Edited by clidx