Browse web with command line?

nhatminh1209

I would suggest using a Web Browser!

Could you please try to explain better what it is you are trying to achieve

I setup a connection in my windowsXP. So when I was away from my box at office. I still connect to my box using ssh or telnet to get my files and to some other stuff. When I doing with my file, I need some soft from net. I need to suft some website but useless. There're many reason why coder've given this function in Linux, right?

The problem is my office box is not allowed to intall some more application. My admin doesnt allow me to install more. So powercmd is not allowed here. I need some more soft that run directly and needn't install.

Sonic~ Using a program like lynx you can surf the web from command line. Lynx and other browsers like it are text only, so will "render" the text portions of the web pages.

As Ponch suggests portable firefox would probably be the solution you require. this will run from a USB devoice (or allow you to copy to the HD to run) without installing like normal. The reason why most programs dont work without installing is because they require registry keys and dlls to be installed. Portable programs bypass this problem (by emulating the registry keys etc) so they can be copied anywhere then run.

Edited by phkninja

• 2 weeks later...
How can you surf in command line ?! The render of website will be unreadable ...

edit: btw you can use wget to download something from website ...

I though lynx is good here :thumbup But these version is not good like lynx in linux :D

I can't make it work when i try to load some site from cmd (Winxp Pro) even when I try putty. It still doesn't help

Try links then maybe. It all depends on what you need.

Btw links can also display pictures if compiled with the correct options.

I may try a mingw build for you this weekend but not before as I am very busy. :)

@Nearly all, web has been developped before graphical interfaces were common-place which it is possible to surf without a gui. ;)