[SOLVED] HFSlip removes KS.SYS when used on Windows 2000 with DirectX9

DeTard

I've been using HFSlip for a long time now (pre-version numbers anyhow) and this is the first I've ran into this issue, which I cannot seem to fix, despite it looking like all is well for the duration of running HFSlip. What is happening is that when I include the DX9 CAB files, it is properly detected but the KS.SYS file is deleted at some point during the process and not replaced by the DX9 version. I know that KS.SYS is part of DRIVER.CAB, and that a newer version comes with DX9 (using the Aug'07 distro) in the DXNT.CAB file, but for whatever reason I no longer have a KS.SYS after all is done. It's not in DRIVER.CAB and it's not in i386, and I receive an error during setup. I even see it being copied when it is extracted from DRIVER.CAB.

I have a feeling that, unintentionally, the order of things got mixed up at some point. I believe it might be deleting KS.SYS after DX9 integration.

Unfortunately I'm home right now (I'm doing this on my laptop at work) so I cannot give the log file or any of the setup files. As soon as I get into my office tomorrow I'll try to get those up here (possibly after copying from a clean Win2K SP4 source again and running HFSlip once more). I may also comment out that line that deletes KS.SYS and see what version of the file I end up with.

EDIT: Just wanted to update this to say it isn't HFSlip's fault that KS.SYS was removed, it was due to a corrupt DirectX9 Redist on Microsoft's site. Unless they have fixed it, the August 2007 Redist has several corrupt files, including the June 2007 cab files as well as DXNT.CAB (which is required to slipstream DX9 onto Windows 2000). The solution is to get both June 2007 Redist and August 2007 Redist and use all the files from June and then add in the three new August 2007 files.

Edited by DeTard

Wow.... I just found the culprit and I'm amazed at what it was honestly. It has nothing to do with HFSlip or even my setup or anything at all - the August 2007 DX9 distro is broken. DXNT.CAB is corrupted and cannot be used. I'm not sure how they even released it with this problem, but it is there.

I watched HFSlip much more closely this time around and I saw this lil snippet:

Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\d3dim700.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\ddraw.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\ddrawex.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dinput.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dinput.xpg.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dplaysvr.exe.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dplayx.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dpmodemx.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dpwsockx.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dsound.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dsound3d.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dx7vb.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\gcdef.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\gcdef.xpg.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\joy.xpg.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\joy.w2k.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\pid.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\pid.xpg.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\d3d8thk.w2k.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\d3d8thk.dll.
Expanding hfcabs\dxnt.cab to work\dx9\dx8vb.dll.
Error in compressed input file format: hfcabs\dxnt.cab.

21 files total.
The system cannot find the file specified.
FINDSTR: Cannot open WORK\DX9\dxntunp.inf

I then went ahead and checked it with 7-Zip and Expand manually and both utilities found problems in the files. I have already downloaded the files multiple times now, and it continues to have the same issues. Can anyone else verify this for me? Again, this is the August 2007 distro only.

Just confirmed it for myself by connecting to my home computer, downloading the Aug 07 redist, extracting it, and then extracting from DXNT.CAB. Again, I have the CRC errors in it. Still using the Aug 07 sources for my new install, but using DXNT.CAB from the original redist of DX9C.

You should download it again, checked my dxnt from august release and winrar reported all ok.

Did you download from here?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I just found that downloading from 2 separate networks (home and work) and extracting it on 2 different computers resulted in the exact same thing - the new redist being corrupt.

the base components of directx (dxnt.cab) are not changed with every new two-monthly release of directx. you can check for yourself if you have older versions of directx downloaded available so u can use the file from any older version too if you feel the current one has a corrupted file (i checked mine by the way, it's ok). you can verify by checking the MD5 hash as well: 3C9B8702654FF68E3EBE688E6B3DC895

I just downloaded it too, all is OK here. This is a rather large file, you may want to increase the size of your cache/temporary internet files so IE can download it properly. I found that I used to get corrupted files if I had the cache set too small.

Well... I can confirm this.

With Opera 9.21 in early August -- broken

With Minefield 3.0 (2007090604) today -- broken

With IE6 today -- broken

The June 2007 d3dx10, d3dx9 and XACT cabs inside the August redist are also broken.

The redist from June is OK.

I will remove the link to the August redist from my site.