Memory advice

ssgatbliss

OK, currently in the system is 2GB (4X512)of corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPT 2-2-2-5 memory. These are matched and should run at 400Mhz but since all 4 slots are taken in the Asus MB it auto clocks down to 333. I just got 2GB (2X1GB) of G. Skill dual channel 2.5-3-3-6 memory that I was going to throw into a server I was building. My question is do you think it would be better to throw the 2GB of G.skill in and 1GB of corsair (still 4 slots would be full) but I would be running 3GB instead of 2GB however the timing will auto clock down to the lower speeds.

This is a gaming machine running on Vista Ultimate. I really don't need 2GB for the server (home server). So do you think the 3GB at a slower speed would be better or 2GB at teh faster speeds?

These are matched and should run at 400Mhz but since all 4 slots are taken in the Asus MB it auto clocks down to 333.
The number of slots filled with memory has nothing to do with their clock speed. I think you may have another issue.

These are matched and should run at 400Mhz but since all 4 slots are taken in the Asus MB it auto clocks down to 333.
The number of slots filled with memory has nothing to do with their clock speed. I think you may have another issue.

I have to correct you there; it has something to do with signal strength loss and interference of "neighbor signals". It has been seen on older VIA chipset based motherboards or example. No, it’s not ASUS his fault ;).

@ ssgatbliss,

You have to try out 2x 1GB, it’s hard to say if it works fine... It would help if you could give us the model number of that mobo...

I have to correct you there; it has something to do with signal strength loss and interference of "neighbor signals". It has been seen on older VIA chipset based motherboards or example. No, it’s not ASUS his fault ;).

@ ssgatbliss,

You have to try out 2x 1GB, it’s hard to say if it works fine... It would help if you could give us the model number of that mobo...

I'll have to wait till I get home for the MB model, but it's documented in the book that came along the board that if all 4 slots are filled it clocks down to 333. Shows that way in the bios post too, if I try to force it to 400 then it won't boot and I have to reset the CMOS. Wish I ahd known that before I got the board. It is an older 939 board too. It was some expensive memory, overclocks really nice though.

Wait...what kind of server did you get the new memory for? Is it an actual server or is it a desktop system being used as a server?

The reason I ask is that servers generally require Registered ECC memory...which will NOT work on your motherboard. Even if the server required Unbuffered ECC it probably won't work on your motherboard.