MSI Neo-F P965 + Scythe Ni

bonestonne

Ok, so I bought a Scythe Ninja for my computer, and it hasn't gotten here yet, however when i switched cases [because i'll only be using 120mm fans in this build] i found that my PSU is dangerously close to my heatsink.

in the attached picture i have a ruler balanced at about the center of my current heatsink showing the 110mm length.

my issue is that i'm afraid that the heatsink will brush against the PSU, which will be a nightmare.

i will be running the ninja fanless because of where its located.

IMG_1660.jpg

you can see that the 110mm distance is insanely tight, ending just before the PSU, might have a couple mm to spare.

IMG_1661.jpg

thats what it looks like right now, theres room, and i can cheat it if i have to.

does anyone here have an MSI Neo-F P965 with a ninja on it? I made sure to have a bolt-thru kit come with it because i don't trust push pins...even on my stock cooler i dont like them. will it be touching my PSU? thats my main concern.

Bad news, it will touch your PSU.

The first picture shows that you have 52mm to 55mm (hard to see) from the hearth of the iNTEL cooler to the PSU. The cooler you bought is 110*110 and high 150mm, so you need 55mm of space there plus 5mm to stay far enough from the PSU. It could be that you are lucky, that you can play a little with the base and clips so you can get it fit but I doubt it. What case are you using now? Can you give us a measurement from the center of the iNTEL cooler up to the PSU please...

it better fit! it's such a good heatsink! what exactly is so bad if it's just touching the psu a little bit? and why do u want to run it fanless? just put a fan on it at low speed to keep safe. if u want to have the psu exhaust its air then just put a fan on the bottom pusing up

My suggestion - get yourself a better case. The Elite330 isn't a bad case, per se - it's just that you're putting some relatively high-quality components in there, and the Elite just isn't up to snuff.

I ran into the same kind of problem trying to get my Ultra-120 on my board into the RC330 - it just didn't fit. I ended up getting the Antec 900. A bit more expensive, but plenty of room to work with, and overall a nice layout. It's not the most ultra-silent case, but I've only got my hard drives and 3x120mm fans in there, and it's barely noticeable. :)

i've gotta pinch some pennies before i can get a new case though.

i was ready to $hit my pants when i put it in, luckily it does fit with maybe 4mm gap in between the PSU

i can't post pictures just yet, however tomorrow i can. [cameras battery died + need to upload a ton of vacation pictures].

i'm saving up for another 2gb of RAM and a new HDD thats SATA-II. my current drive will be formatted FAT32 for data transfers, and i'll move my triple boot onto the new HDD [hopefully a 320-500gb drive].

this case is actually just for now..i'll be getting a 4U rackmount for it within the next two weeks hopefully [my school is getting rid of stuff and i'm taking advantage, i'll grab two cases, use one, sell the other.

its a scythe ninja rev A, and when i was putting it together, i saw the capacitors by the holes and didn't realize the bracket was raised, i was getting a little angry...but its all working good, sturdy bolt-thru, and compared to the stock cooler, theres actually less stress on the motherboard with equal or better contact with the CPU. i'm amazed at this...i did just add thermal paste as well, so i'll give it overnight and tomorrow to set in, and tomorrow i'll get some temps [although i'm not much for doing stress tests, so i may just skip that entirely].

thanks for the help, and i also hope this helps other people too, i couldn't find anyone else online through google searches that had the ninja on this board.

a new HDD thats SATA-II.
SATA what? :)
my current drive will be formatted FAT32 for data transfers
If the partition is going to be > 8GB that's a bad, bad, bad, bad choice. Hell, even if it's < 8GB that's a bad choice. Stick with NTFS.

I don't know why people think FAT32 is so good. You'll end up with a TON of wasted space on a FAT32 partition simply because of the cluster size.

a new HDD thats SATA-II.
SATA what? :)

Sales talk, we talked about it before ;).

i was ready to $hit my pants when i put it in, luckily it does fit with maybe 4mm gap in between the PSU

I see your pictures fooled me, but I’m happy that it’s fits. I don’t want to know if you really $hit your pants :P.

IMG_1701.jpg

so thats the squeeze, i have the power cables routed by the base...the heatpipes aren't even warm with the fan on the heatsink. [yes i did touch it]

IMG_1704.jpg

its really close to the RAM, i need to also work on an issue with the fan thats on the ninja being cracked by the motor..i'll be putting a 1000rpm fan on the ninja, moving the 1200rpm fan down the bottom of the case where it wont be as troublesome.

right now i have one clip actually off and the fan resting without pressure still blowing on the heatsink. can't do any tests just yet on it, but its definately cooler than stock by a very large margin.

If the partition is going to be > 8GB that's a bad, bad, bad, bad choice. Hell, even if it's < 8GB that's a bad choice. Stick with NTFS.

I don't know why people think FAT32 is so good. You'll end up with a TON of wasted space on a FAT32 partition simply because of the cluster size.

OS X cannot write to NTFS and the Fuse drivers i've tried don't work for me. not much of a choice there. having a 63gb library of music is tough to have between 3 OSes.

do you prefer i say SATA 3.0gb/s?

Edited by bonestonne

i don't really feel like turning off my computer to take out the fan again, i just got it back together again.

there are 3 to 4 spokes that hold the hub of the motor in place, theres one thats broken at the hub on a fan i have. its also recently refused to start at 7v...could be trouble. i'll be putting a 92mm fan in tomorrow to tide myself over, see if i can glue the fan and change it to maybe 8 or 9v with a potentiometer if i can find one.

my rear fan is running @ 7v

my CPU fan is running @ 12v

my lower front fan is running @ 7v but it can't start by itself, i have to give it a push.

i'll be getting a whole new crop of goodies soon, but hobbies first, 3 shurikens before anything else =P

holiday money will sponsor a load of everything i need, and holidays are just around the corner, so its worth the wait.

my three next proposed chances, which may not necessarily happen in this order are:

-4U rackmount case

-2 more GB of RAM

-320+GB hard drive

OS X cannot write to NTFS and the Fuse drivers i've tried don't work for me. not much of a choice there. having a 63gb library of music is tough to have between 3 OSes.

Don't you have multiple computers? Put the music on a network share. From a network share it doesn't matter what the hosting machine's drives are formatted as because the host OS serves up the files. It'll also allow you to access your music from any of the other machines.

Trust me, you'll lose space, performance, recoverability, security and reliability by going with FAT32 over NTFS.

do you prefer i say SATA 3.0gb/s?

Yep... :)

Thats a seriously lucky fit :lol:. I just bought a Scythe Infinty (Mugen) (also shame it came with a broken fan but i already ordered a Xilence 120mm fan to replace the stock one anyways) and didnt anticipate it's sheer size, I used to have a CNPS-9500 and I thought it was huge!

Thankfully I have plenty of space due to the layout of my Antec Lanboy case but I also suffered a similar problem with my RAM slots, I moved my RAM to the upper slots on my DFI Lanparty nF3 Ultra-D just incase I suffered that problem and so far all running well :).

Congrats on your heatsink fitting :D