Mothers PC.

FabulousFred

He just mentioned that she plays games...he didn't say that's all she does. :)

Hell, you can probably go with something as low as a Pentium E2140 (dual-core, 800MHz FSB, 1.6GHz, 1MB L2). Even though she doesn't do much with the PC I'd still recommend at least 1-2GB RAM since it's going to run Vista.

She just plays luxor and vista games.

Would she even notice the quad core vs an X2-6000?

That sucks man! Luxor must be really laggy!

What you need is a dual cpu board. Quad core Xeons. Throw in 4 8800GTXs, 16GB of DDR3 and you're good to go!

I can't believe you've been running it without that! Geeeez. The low fps must be getting to you.

P.S. If you want to use something like Microsoft Office or an internet browser, you'll need to upgrade again. No less than an octo-core (for your new quad cpu server board). And make sure its a high-watt monster like the 6000-X2. It also doubles as a furnace in your house. Saves you money.

All joiking aside look into a ow power system. VIA chipsets and CPUs come to mind. They use little power (less heat produced in your room), some don't even need a fan so its completely silent, and they're pretty cheap. Great for Vista. You can use the internet, word processor, games... don't expect to run Half-Life 2 without an upgrade on it but they are fantastic for a workstation.

Throw in a passive cooled Radeon HD 2600Pro into that and you've got a system that is powerful enough to watch HD movies, and play some Half-Life. And pleasant too since you won't hear the whirring of the fans. You won't have any.

Edited by puntoMX

Bruce, you never give up on the 2600XX series do you ;) ?

The C7 at 2GHz uses 20Watts and it not cheap with a mobo, not even to mention when it has PCI-E on it.

I would go indeed with an iNTEL E2140 or a AMD X2 4000+ or so like the others said.

No. She won't notice the difference at all. Don't waste your money on the Quad-core.

dont waste your money on a quad!? lol, i cant wait for mine to come in next week.

anyways, just get a cheap amd comp for a few hundred dollars.

For that system and her purposes, chances are the quad core will be a waste. Just because you can't wait for yours doesn't mean his mother should pay the extra cash (and a considerable amount at that) for it.

For that system and her purposes, chances are the quad core will be a waste. Just because you can't wait for yours doesn't mean his mother should pay the extra cash (and a considerable amount at that) for it.

****. Now that you put it that way :blushing:

did i ever say to purchase a quad? i said to purchase a cheap amd.

Bruce, you never give up on the 2600XX series do you ;) ?

The C7 at 2GHz uses 20Watts and it not cheap with a mobo, not even to mention when it has PCI-E on it.

I would go indeed with an iNTEL E2140 or a AMD X2 4000+ or so like the others said.

The 2600 is good at what it does. Games, nope. Cad, nope. But a general purpose with HD capability, hell yes.

I wonder if she will be able to tell the difference between 200fps in Luxor and 3000 fps with a quad.