KDS lcd

dirtwarrior

Well, you are wrong there, when it’s integrated it’s easier to fix then an external power supply (well you could by a new external one, but those are expensive). Did you open de metal box?

@dirtwarrior- Would it be possible for you to post a link to a picture of the inside of your monitor? puntoMX might find it useful and I am very curious as to what it looks like in there.

DL

• 7 months later...

but did you actually check the powerdown settings? Not the screen saver, but on control panel|power

And have you tried another video card before you start tearing down a costly LCD panel with no real knowledge of what you are doing.

how about checking the monitor power down settings in the computer......

my best bet is there is something wrong with the caps on the monitor board... that seems to be about the only thing i came up with on google.... there isn't much but what there is isn't in english :(

Cool that we bring up this topic again.

As I’m fixing more and more screens these days I found out that it’s a general backlight problem with many models/brands.

Most of the time it’s a problem with bad transistors that drive the backlight coils, bad soldering points and the coils them selves.

To replace coils will be hard as they are not sold at your local electronics-store, however, the transistors are basic pull-transistors that can be found in almost every electronics-store and re-soldering the bad/cold points is a peace of cake.

so how do we go about figuring out which are bad points and all that jazz? is there a decently easy way to do this?

also, i got mine for free from an aunt and uncle, they said it didn't work, i had it running for about two days and then i turned it off, when i went to turn it back on is when it didn't work... i'm letting it sit for a while, but i'd like to fix it 100%

Edited by aszwet1

my best bet is there is something wrong with the caps on the monitor board...
There are no capacitors that drive the backlight, however, the power to the backlight module has capacitors but if those were damaged then most likely the screen would not even light up.
i'm letting it sit for a while, but i'd like to fix it 100%
Exactly, you have bad transistors; they overhead fast and thus aging goes faster too. Replacing them isn’t hard if you know soldering a bit, but before you remove them I would check your local electronics-store if they have them, or at least can order them. They should be cheap and you don’t need more then 6 of them (never saw a screen that used more then 6 and 2 coils). What brand/model do you have? HP?...

Replace them all, they are cheap; let me see if I can find the module lay-out.

electrolytic-capacitor-small.jpg

like those are what i'm replacing right? and i can't find any blueprints or whatever for the boards... also i'm just replacing the powersupply board right? not the one with the chip in it or whatever? would pics help?

Edited by aszwet1